“Good food and service”

Southern Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Southern Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 76 Restaurants in Lexington
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Nelson Street
Description: Located in Historic Lexington, Virginia, Southern Inn Restaurant is a successful mix of casual, but elegant dining. Proprietors George (chef) and Sue Ann Huger offer a contemporary, seasonal menu utilizing local produce, meats and other products, as well as fresh seafood and in-house baked goods.
Birmingham AL
“Good food and service”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

When ever we am in Lexington, the Southern Inn is our go to restaurant for dinner. It was/is chef owned and has a charming old time ambience. The prices are not over the top and We have never had poor service.

Lexington, Virginia, United States
“So glad this phoenix rose from the ashes”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Five years ago The Southern Inn was gutted by a devastating fire. A little over a year later, the restaurant re-opened and is better than ever. I work in downtown Lexington and needed a break from work today. On a whim, I went into The Southern Inn. I knew the service and the food would be great and I wasn't disappointed. The salmon club was a delight, as were the house-made potato chips. It's the kind of place Hemingway would have loved - a clean, well-lighted place.

west of Washington, DC
“Unbelievably Fantastic Dinner!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I want to start out by saying that I've been around for a while and can honestly say that this was the best fried chicken I have ever eaten! While the Southern Inn is a little small, the wait staff is eager to please the customers and very knowledgeable regarding their dishes and wine selections. Well worth the visit - make sure you have reservations as they are fairly small and tend to fill up at peak times.

Massachusetts
“Probably the best lunch I ever had”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were visiting the Shenandoah Valley and in Lexington when it started to rain, so we decided to break for lunch. Saw a large neon sign and thought it was a diner. Instead it was a nicely decorated restaurant. My wife had a reuben sandwich with red cabbage and home made chips. She said it was the best reuben she had ever tasted.

I had the fried chicken lunch with vegetables and mashed potatoes. Fantastic! I do not often eat cooked veggies but the snow peas, carrots and squash were delicious. I told me wife that if she could cook vegetables this way, I would eat more. Although the chicken was small, it was very tasty.

We both ordered their cucumber fizz cocktail and it was very refreshing.

The price was very reasonable. This place is a real gem.

Reston, Virginia
“Wonderful Food, Service, Catering”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have eaten dinner at Southern Inn several times the past few years. The dinner menu has great options and the service is wonderful. This past weekend, I had the Southern Fried Chicken and my wife had the Blackened Chicken Penne Pasta; it was delicious. We finished it off with the Triple Chocolate Carmel Torte - out of this world! Back in April we also had dinner there and decided that we would like for them to cater our post-wedding brunch in June. We contacted them and gave them an idea of what we were looking for. Sue Ann, the owner, proposed some menu items and then together we finalized the menu. Since Southern Inn has catered at Col Alto in the past, they were familiar with the room layout and flow and suggested we move to a larger room; we were so happy we did! Sunday morning the brunch started at 9am. We went to the room at 8am and Sue Ann and staff were there setting up. It was so reassuring to know that they had it all under control and all we had to do was show up and enjoy. The brunch food was wonderful and had more then enough food. My favorites were the Country Ham Frittata, Home Fried Potatoes, Brioche French Toast and fresh fruit. The staff was attentive to the food and guests. The food selection and recommendations were perfect. A perfect ending to an incredible weekend.

Visited June 2014