“Fried chicken! Just what I wanted”

Southern Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Southern Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 82 Restaurants in Lexington
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Nelson Street
Description: Located in Historic Lexington, Virginia, Southern Inn Restaurant is a successful mix of casual, but elegant dining. Proprietors George (chef) and Sue Ann Huger offer a contemporary, seasonal menu utilizing local produce, meats and other products, as well as fresh seafood and in-house baked goods.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stopped in for Sunday lunch and were not disappointed. Although Southern Inn has been around since 1939, the food and ambiance is contemporary. My fried chicken breast was moist and with a crispy breading, having the taste of chicken like I had when I was young. It was a right sized portion with mashed red skin potatoes, and fresh vegetables.

My partner had eggs, mighty fine grits, and sausage gravy and biscuits. Her remark was that the biscuits and gravy were "not Bob Evans", meaning they were of much better quality.

Prices were a tad on the high side, wine list was decent. The food however was excellent and well worth the visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,083)

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Buttermilk fried chicken breast, homemade potato chips with blue cheese & Diet Coke!? It doesn't get any better than this! My son and I stopped in for a quick bite after touring W & L. If I could have taken my leftovers home to Atlanta with me, I would have wanted to order six more things on the menu. Seriously, it was the best buttermilk fried chicken sandwich I'd ever had! Plus, the tomato slices from my son's hamburger plate were obviously home-grown! The french fries had some extra-crispiness factor that we both loved and the service was amazing. I am so looking forward to going back to Southern Inn with my whole family so I could encourage everyone to order one of those dishes I wanted to try!

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Our family of four stopped by for lunch. It was a nice trip into town to find the Southern Inn. Our food was very good. We had the chicken and salmon sandwiches, tomatoes soup, and Greek salad. The shop stopper was the meat loaf. It was sliced and browned before serving. The sauce, potatoes and veggies were outstanding. Great lunch!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Enjoyed Sunday Night diner, Shrimp and Grits and Cajun Chicken Penne. Great local beer list, fanciful mixed drinks and an inspired desert menu. for example a BLT for desert, Candied Bacon ice cream, water crest sherbert and sweet tomato swirl between two burnt edge vanilla cookies wow!

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

On a Monday evening this was one of the few restaurants open in Lexington...that was a win for us otherwise we may have missed this gem! We experienced excellent service from everyone and appreciated the menu hints. Sampled some excellent local beers and stayed with some simple excellently prepared favorites; the meatloaf and fried chicken. Finished off with some original desserts and home made sherbet that were fabulous.