“Very Rude and Uncaring Staff”

Holiday Inn Express Lexington
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We checked into this hotel after driving 12 hours and having car trouble. Because of some graduation in town, the front desk clerk rudely refused to accept the discounted coupon from the Virginia Visitors Center. The price was more than double from the stated rate. My husband didn't want to be "taken" like that but I was so exhausted and worried about the car, we paid the excessive rate. We were given a room on the second floor and got in the elevator in the lobby with all our luggage on a luggage cart. Then Wanda tells us that the elevator is broken so we have to pull the cart to the other end of the hall and carry everything up the stairs by ourselves. We are both elderly people with serious medical issues. We pulled the cart to the stairs and were just starting to carry our things up the stairs when Wanda calls to us and says that the elevator is fixed. We pull the cart back again to the elevator, drag it inside and she realizes only the buttons light up but the elevator still does not work so guess what, we have to drag the cart back to the stairs again. And believe it or not, Wanda says nothing!!!!! No apology, no I'm sorry for making you push and pull the cart back and forth for nothing, no offer to have someone come and help us. The room was fine and the breakfast was ok but the price and the rude desk clerk made the stay here one of the worst that we (having traveled all over Europe and the US) have ever experienced.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JM P
Tom O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear JM P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I also apologize that you perceived our declining to take the promotional coupon as rude. Due to the extreme demand resulting from the college graduation in our town, we were not accepting this promotional coupon. The coupon books state that they may not be available during holidays or special events. Our pricing for the date of your stay reflected this high demand.

I also apologize for the trouble with the elevator. We had just had a false fire alarm and were having trouble getting the elevator reset from its safety mode where it comes down to the ground floor and opens. I am sorry that Wanda was not more empathetic or apologetic for the challenge the inoperable elevator posed. Certainly more could have been done to accommodate the situation. However, I am glad that you found the room and breakfast acceptable.

Again, I apologize that you were disappointed. If there is anything further I need to do to make things right with you, please feel free to contact me at 54-463-7351 or hexpresslexington@yahoo.com. Sincerely, Tom Osella General Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I spent one night there and was pleased with my accomodation. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very pleasant. I just had one slight problem the room that I was assigned was already occupied. It was resolved immediately.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Michelle M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad that you were pleased with the clean comfortable room and friendly staff. I apologize for the mix up with your assigned room but am glad it was corrected immediately. Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon. If there are any requests prior to a future stay with us, please feel free to contact me directly for assistance at 540-463-7351 or hexpresslexington@yahoo.com. Sincerely, Tom Osella

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of May. Service was friendly, but the decor is extremely dated in both the public areas and the rooms. I stayed in a junior suite with a separate living space and only one air-conditioner in the main living room.

Unfortunately, we arrived home at 9 pm to find that the "fan" that blew cold air into our bedroom was broken. Nothing could be done as maintenance was gone, fans unavailable, and the hotel completely booked. Overall the situation was frustrating. Thankfully the AC blew very cold air and we made it through the night for the most part. The fan was fixed by noon the next day, and Susan at the front desk very eager to make the situation up to my satisfaction.

There is a very nice breakfast with several hot items, and the location is very close to W & L and VMI. Hopefully the hotel will be renovated soon.

Room Tip: Suites are not more much and have kitchenettes if you are looking to save money.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank M_E_MAYNARD1
Tom O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I apologize that there was an issue with your fan during your stay. I am glad that we were able to correct it during your stay and that Susan was able to make things right with you while you were still at our property. I am glad that you were pleased with the service and our recently expanded breakfast. We are in the planning stages of a needed renovation and hope to have a "brand new" hotel for our guests within a year or so. Thank you again for your comments. If there is anything else I can do for you please feel free to call me at 540-463-7351 or email me at hexpresslexington@yahoo.com. Tom Osella, General Manager

Reviewed 5 May 2014

You will instantly feel like you are an old friend when you stop to stay here. Additionally the staff here will go out of their way to help ensure that you are comfortable and have everything you need to be productive.

Thanks

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Shawn S, Thank you for the great comments! We understand that it is our job to make sure "road warriors" like yourself have everything they need to stay efficient and productive while you are travelling. I am glad that our team helped you feel at home. We look forward to serving you again. If there is anything you need prior to your next visit, please feel free to call me personally at 540-463-7351. Tom Osella, General Manager

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Clean and comfortable, friendly front desk, found a room for me even though I checked in early. Breakfast choices were more than adequate. Internet worked well. Decor could use a little updating and you can hear shower in adjoining room, but it really wasn't an issue. Close to VMI and downtown Lexington, but not walking distance.
I would stay here again if traveling to this area.

Room Tip: I was on 3rd floor a few doors from elevator and it was fine.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thanks for staying with us!
I'm glad you mentioned the friendly staff. Our crew work hard each day to insure each guest has a pleasant and comfortable stay. I will make sure they know their work was noticed.
I hope you will visit us again. Downtown Lexington has much to offer especially if you are a history buff.
Let me know if I can assist with future reservations. You may contact me at 540-992-4077 or cia@rbnet.com.
Thanks!
Gary Purvis
VP of Operations
Dominion Lodging, Inc.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our stay was very satisfactory. Some pros that stood out to us: the continental breakfast (selections were great and restocked frequently), proximity to VMI and downtown Lexington, comfortable beds and spacious, updated bathroom.
This is a good hotel if you are looking to explore Lexington and surrounding areas. Staff was friendly and helpful!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for staying with us and sharing your comments.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast bar. We are in the process of enlarging our breakfast bar to offer expanded selections. Look for it next time you visit.
Our location is great for visiting parents of VMI or W&L students. Historic downtown is just a short distance as well. There is much history to be found in Lexington.
If you need future reservations, please let me know. I would be glad to help. Contact me at 540-992-4077 or cia@rbnet.com.
Thanks!
Gary Purvis
VP of Operations
Dominion Lodging, Inc.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I left my phone at the hotel and Susan the receptionist was extremely helpful in returning my phone to me in Tennessee. She even called ups, and handled the transaction for me Thank you very much Susan.

• Stayed: March 2014
DominionLodgingSales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Lexington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review and the big kudos to Susan. We are glad we were able to get your phone back to you. If you are ever in the area again be sure to call us directly to book your room at 540-463-7351.
Stacey DeHaven