“Very good, but not spicy”

Foothill Momma's Bbq Juke Joint
Ranked #10 of 76 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Charleston, West Virginia
“Very good, but not spicy”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Mmmm, this is some amazing barbeque! I could do with a sauce that was actually spicy (they have "sweet and spicy" which is not spicy at all, honey barbeque, and crackalackin'), but otherwise no complaints from me. Good prices.

• Visited July 2014

Lexington, Virginia, United States
“You will leave full and satisfied”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This has become one of my favorite places to eat in my home town. I'm a big barbecue fan and the barbecue here is just as good as you find in big cities like St. Louis and Memphis. The pulled pork is especially good. I recommend the pulled pork sandwich platter with the mac n' cheese and collard greens. The service is usually fast and friendly. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited July 2014
Lexington, Virginia
“Good, and hopefully better”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stopped by this new place, just outside of downtown Lexington, last night. It's well worth checking out if you're a BBQ fan, and who isn't??!! A long time ago, a friend of mine from Alabama was coaching me on what to look for in selecting a BBQ place (we used to work for the same company, and traveled the south extensively). Being from north of the Mason Dixon line, I needed his sage advice! Long story short, he told me to look for the smoke coming out of a stack in the back of the restaurant - a sure sign they're BBQ'ing properly, and not using smoke injectors or other BBQ flavor enhancers that just aren't the real thing. And sure enough, that was the case here - lots of smoke!! A good find.
We found the place to be cheerful, and the service attentive. We were asked for our drink orders right away. I had a beer, and my date had a wine. The selections were ok, but we were left hoping that they would expand the choices of each. Ok, on to the food. I ordered the pulled pork platter, with sides of mac and cheese, and slaw. My date had the pulled pork sandwich with fries (chips). The menu seems fairly extensive (but not too), but the one thing they do not have on a regular basis is ribs. Imagine that! A BBQ joint with no ribs. What a let down. Anyway, I found the pulled pork platter to be quite good, with plenty of flavor. It is a huge amount of meat, but then, that's what's so good about BBQ: it's legal to over-stuff yourself on it. If i had one complaint, it was that the pork was somewhat soggy. From what i don't know, but it didn't overly detract from the flavor. My sides were average - the mac and cheese was pretty uninspiring, but the slaw was good. My date enjoyed her sandwich quite a bit. One thing - she wanted to sample the potato salad before ordering it as a side, but the waitress more or less said they couldn't do that? Huh? Can't bring a tablespoon of it to sample? That's silly.
All in all, this was a good experience, and we're likely to return, and doubly so once we hear that they're smoking ribs out back!! Lexington needs this restaurant, and we're glad it's here.

• Visited June 2014
Staunton, VA
“Great BBQ and sides”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Saw this spot on another web site as we were visiting Lexington and thought we would try it. The name caught my eye if nothing else haha. Located in a small strip mall just outside of town, there is plenty of parking. There are about 10 tables and several seats at the bar. It's small, but the food comes out fast and we saw 2 complete sittings in the noon lunch hour while we were there.

I like places that focus on a small menu and do it well, and that is evident here. All of the food was tasty and the prices were reasonable. Portions were large. They have 3 BBQ sauces made in-house. My favorite is the Cackalacky, or Carolina vinegar-based sauce. Yum. We had pulled pork, pot-roast-style brisket, greens, baked beans, cornbread and cinnamon-honey butter, and hand-cut regular and sweet potato fries. The server had the nerve to ask if we wanted dessert. There was no way it would have fit!

We were in Memphis 2 weekends ago and this matched anything we had there. And that says a lot considering the BBQ culture in Memphis! Add in the great service and the Blues playing on the background and it's well worth a visit!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Curtis24401
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great potential.”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Recently opened, we thought that we would give it a try. I would say it has some great things and not so great items. First, the good. The pulled pork is fabulous. It has a great smokey wood flavor and was not greasy. Also, it did not have that strong over powering pig/ pork taste that is not always pleasant. We all loved the pulled pork. The mac and cheese, the homemade chippers, and the collards were delicious. My not so favorite was the beef brisket. In my opinion, it was tough and stringy and not very flavorful. I was very disappointed. The pecan pie was also not so great. It had a hint of burnt to it and an unusual seasoning to it that, in my opinion, took away from this classic pie. My son had the catfish and it was not good. The breading was thick and the fish was under cooked and mushy inside.
I would return for the pulled pork and sides. The portions were large so the value is good. The atmosphere is bright and pleasant but not at all as I expected for a "juke joint."

• Visited April 2014