“I think of reasons to head out to the Apple House way” 5 of 5 bubbles

Apple House
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Linden
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Manassas, Virginia
“I think of reasons to head out to the Apple House way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I "discovered" this place a number of years ago and they just keep getting busier every time I go there. I'm not a donut person, per se, but I LOVE the apple donuts here. I find myself trying to come up with reasons to head out that way just so I can stop and get donuts. Thankfully, I don't live near there, my apple donut addiction would be way out of hand lol

On our most recent visit, we also got breakfast. It was pretty good but the potatoes were uber-greasy. We've gotten bbq there on numerous occasions and it's one of the best (if not the best) in the area. Also, they have some locally made sausage in the cooler, which is pretty darn awesome.

I love this place, would recommend it heartily but be forewarned, it is swamped on nice-weather weekends! Worth the wait, though, I think.

Virginia
“Yummy Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I really like the food here. It's just nice to be away from home and feel like you are having a home cooked meal. They have a lot on their menu and the donuts are really good. I got the Cheesesteak with fries and it was really good. The fries were really tasty too. I am only disappointed in the Store front of the Apple House. It used to be full of much more items for purchase and lots of cool and quirky things but it's been changed around since I was here last maybe a few years ago and it seems like all they have now are apple butters, hot sauces and wine.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Thirty Years or More and Definitely Worth a Stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

It's just off the Interstate in Linden, Virginia and for more than thirty years, has pretty much been doing the same things. Apparently, they do them well because the place is usually busy with locals and tourists alike. What'll you have? A country breakfast, lunch and sometimes, dinner in the addition added a number of years ago. You'll never go hungry and while you're waiting, have a free piece of apple donut from the plate on the counter. Want a hot one? Order a bunch to go!! George makes the barbecue in a smoker over to the side and once you've had it, you do not want anyone else's. There's a gift shop but I'm not much on "gift shops" so I won't give an opinion, however, if it's a bite of dessert that you crave, walk on back to the ice cream stand just a few steps away.

I have been going to the Apple House for at least thirty years. Mr. and Mrs. Lacy were apple growers so I imagine that's how the store came about. Meanwhile, their children grew up in the store, got married and are still working there, happily serving folks a bit of what they came to the valley for in the first place. Maybe you could say this is a little patch of true "Americana."

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Apple doughnut let down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I come to skyline fairly often for day hikes. I have been wanting to try apple house for a while but always seemed to miss it. I was so excited for it to finally be open and to get to have an apple doughnut that it may have colored my expirenced. I was disappointed to say the least my doughtnut was cold and over sugared. I love apple doughnuts and was expecting something special from this place but what I had I could have gotten at my local supermarket.

The store they have attached to it was a lot of fun looking through and lots of great local products. I would recommend stopping by just don't expect a lot it's a country restaurant and that is what you get. The ham sandwiches make a good snack and the rest of their products looked good. The atmosphere was nice and I will probably stop in for dinner sometime.

Florida Panhandle, Florida
“Country Restaurant With Good Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have eaten at this small, out of the way restaurant on several occasions. Leaving Washington, DC in the morning, and trying to escape the mad rush to work by too many people with not enough space on the highway, sometimes leads to the Apple House.

It is just off I-66 and about an hour from the Washington madhouse. It is inexpensive, informal, and has good doughnuts, eggs, and home fries cooked to perfection. On the day that I visited most recently, it was very cold. There was a fire in the fireplace next to an empty table and a young woman cooking doughnuts and taking orders which are then delivered to your table.

The home fried potatoes are real potato (not frozen) and grilled with light salt. I try to avoid most fried potato. This is grilled, not deep fried, and may be worth the calories, carbs or fat content. I have never been disappointed and eat them despite the consequences and a promise not to eat them again for a few days.

On our latest visit, I discovered hot tea options which was a pleasant surprise on a cold morning. The fried eggs were a little greasy but I wiped it off with a couple of extra napkins. The doughnuts with apple and cinnamon sugar were just cooked so they were still hot. While I hate to admit it, I used part of a doughnut to wipe up the egg yoke from my plate and enjoyed every bite.

For those who think a good restaurant has to have white table cloths, a menu with French names, and a host with an attitude, the Apple House is definitely not for you. It is a slice of Americana, complete with family that has owned the restaurant since 1963, a country store accompanying the restaurant, ceramic pigs celebrating their barbeque meals (not for breakfast though), and plenty of country ham and a couple of stuffed moose heads overlooking the patrons.

What the restaurant lacks in sophistication, it makes up for with country charm, ambience and friendly people working there. The food is pretty good too and it's inexpensive.

• Visited March 2014