“Great rib eye steak”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Hilo, Hawaii
“Great rib eye steak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

First time at this place recommended by family friends. The rib eye steak specialty is best I've had at a restaurant...cooked just right with outstanding flavoring. Onion rings were fantastic, as was the crab cake. Friendly service...good value.

• Visited June 2014

Heathsville, Virginia
“Worth Going Back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We passed this place several times and never gave it much thought. Then, we saw a review mentioned somewhere else and decided to give it a try.

My wife and I were greeted at the door by the owner and seated with friendly chat. We told him that it was our first time there.

They specialize in rib-eye steak, so I decided to try that. It was great. They have a full bar and several beers on tap.

Very nice experience and we will be going back.

There hours are limited.

• Visited January 2014
Tappahannock
“I'd give this place a 4.5 and am happy to have a good local option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

The Oaks Restaurant is not really in my usual flight path, although I live in Tappahannock, about 40 miles away. I've always heard advertising on the local radio and the restaurant always claim to have a really good rib-eye steak. I've heard good word of mouth reviews and had a need to meet some folks for dinner that live in Kilmarnock. I usually rely upon TripAdvisor for all of my restaurant, hotel and activities research, but there were no reviews yet. I specifically asked a trusted co-worker for her opinion and she and her family love the Oaks, so I decided to give it a try.

Good Decision on my part! The place does not look like much from the road and it is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but the food was good, the service was good, and all six of us, including a 15 and 12 year old, had a great experience. I generally don't award fives, but would probably give this experience an overall rating of 4.5. We had three appetizers and each one was well received. Personally, I tried the Rib-eye steak and must say that I found it very good. I like a good steak, but find many places try to doctor a steak up too much and they goof it up for me. My steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare, as ordered, and it was seasoned perfectly. The others at my table each enjoyed their entrée, which ranged from stuffed flounder to some type of shrimp dish. Since we wanted to spend time over our meal, we lingered a bit over dessert and each of the offerings were very good. My wife especially likes Bread Pudding and she reports that the home-made version she ate was excellent.

The servers were attentive and appropriately friendly, without inserting themselves into our experience.

The only minor drawback is the décor, which is a bit outdated. Having said that, the décor would not stop me at all from going back and it is actually appropriate for a small-town facility.

My wife, two daughters, and I are happy to have found this place and we will be back again.

We were the first table to be seated at 5 o'clock, but people trickled in during our meal and the place was packed by the time we left. It appears the locals like the fare too. I saw a wide variety of customers, from dressed up sophisticates having a meal with their glasses of wine, to the local folks out for a good meal and maybe a beer or two.

I'd recommend giving it a try and am happy to be the first review for this place.

• Visited December 2013

Been to The Oaks Restaurant? Share your experiences!