“Such amazing food!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn At Meander Plantation

Inn At Meander Plantation
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Hanover, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Such amazing food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

I can't believe they create all of that food out of that tiny kitchen!

1 Thank ka_n_sa

DC
“Amazing bed & breakfast, but even more amazing restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

Before I booked this B&B for this past Father's Day weekend for my husband and I, I did an exorbitant amount of research online. Most of the reviews were on the actual inn, which were very positive. However, there were only a handful of recent reviews on the food, except for a smattering of lukewarm reviews about the flavour, portions, progression, service, etc. Since he and I are huge foodies, we were eager to find out the real deal.

*REQUIRED DINNER:
I booked our "required" dinner Saturday night. For $65/pp (not including the 9% hotel tax, drinks, gratuity), this was a 5-course meal (served at 7pm, after a 30 minute hors d'oeuvres reception) which included a salad course, appetizer course, intermezzo, main course, dessert course. We got warm, freshly baked ciabatta bread too with pesto butter. Each course except for the intermezzo had a wine pairing of a local Virginia wine, which is available at $8/glass or $25/flight.

Food: Fantastic flavours! The lemon herb risotto that came with my husband's salmon was bright and delicious. My spinach salad's fig vinaigrette was to die for, especially with the roasted pear and goat cheese.

Portions: Amazingly huge! The salmon filet was large but not overwhelming. Though I had a petite NY strip, together with the sides, it was more than enough for me.

Progression / service: It's true, we were never rushed, but never found the service to be too slow. My husband and I were surprised that the whole dinner took about 2 hours, which seemed adequate time to savour each course. The chef (and co-owner) Suzie Blanchard came by to bring out the bread and. chitchatted with all the diners. You may think that $65/pp is a little pricey, but we thought this meal was definitely worth it!

*DAILY BREAKFAST:
Each morning, we had an included 3-course breakfast at 9am. The first course was freshly baked goods (Day 1: blueberry scones; Day 2: carrot / orange muffins), the second course was a small fruit bowl (Day 1: melon and pineapple slices; Day 2: roasted pear with mascarpone), the main course was a choice of savoury or sweet (Day 1: veggie frittata or French toast with sausage patties; Day 2: veggie hashbrowns with sausage links or waffles with fruit and sausage links). We had available juices, coffee, and tea. Again, there was plenty of food served and the service was very good. Chef Suzie made an appearance again and chatted with us for a bit.

*PICNIC MEAL:
My husband and I decided to explore the Inn's property and have an intimate picnic. I requested a picnic basket to be available by 7pm. All I thought we would get were a couple of sandwiches with a bowl of sides, and what we got far surpassed my expectations! Packed in a large wicker basket were dinner rolls with balsamic butter, a thermos of summer veggie gazpacho, a large casserole dish filled with sage-orange chicken breasts / mashed potatoes / haricot verts / gravy, and two plates of coconut cakes. The quality of the food was fantastic and portions were plentiful. When we realized we didn't have any beverages, Chef Suzie was very hospitable and got us a carafe of sweetened iced tea.

Trust me, the Inn and the grounds were magnificent on their own, but what made our stay memorable was the quality of the food that we had. Perhaps the fact that Chef Suzie is a co-owner gives her a vested interest in the quality of the meals being served., but whatever it is, it works!

• Visited June 2012
Gordonsville, Virginia
“Always a great place to eat and stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

Dinners are always amazing. They really know a lot about Virginia Wines and the food and wine pairings are amazing! Love it!

Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quiet Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

One seating means a very relaxing dinner. Outstanding food/service.

Culpeper, Virginia
“Lovely place and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

We were in the General's bedroom. It was lovely, but during the summer, we had to keep the windows open and there were no screens, so we ended up with a bat in the room. Breakfast was very nice and we enjoyed ourselves, sans bat!