“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Locust Dale B&B and Inns
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed 25 April 2008

I first stayed at Meander last September on my way to North Carolina to a wedding. It was just an over night stay and I swore I would return with my husband .I did so last week, this time to attend Meander Plantation's cooking school. It was an activity and information full two days.

When we arrived we were given a Meander apron and a tote bag filled with goodies as well as a notebook with cooking information and all the recipes for the items we would be making. This allowed us to really watch the chefs while they were cooking rather than trying to furiously write down what they were doing. We also received an invitation to a Spring Tea Party with Chef Sarah in the Meander kitchen.

The theme for this class was "Elegant Entertaining" so Chef Sarah taught us how to make all kinds of items for a tea party. This included how to make a Pate a Choux (puff pastry dough). Chef Sarah made it look so easy I can hardly wait until I have time next week to try to make it. The best part of the class is we got to eat all of our efforts.

After lunch and a break we got to meet Chef David Scales for a "Dinner Party Primer" as he prepared the courses we would be dining on that evening. Tuesday night we had a wonderful dinner in the private dining room. This was followed on Wednesday with Suzie Blanchard, one of the owners, teaching us how to make pizza dough and many kinds of elegant toppings such as duck. She taught us how to make a spicy tomato jam that she served with melted manchego (cheese) on a round of bread. After 2 PM on Tuesday we were free and had time to drive over to James Madison's house. Tuesday night we were invited to a Vintner's Dinner featuring the wines from Gray Ghost vineyards. The evening started in the formal living room with the vineyard owners discussing wine making and tasting their new Riesling. We than moved to the dining room and were treated to a five course dinner, each accompanied by the appropriate wine from Gray Ghost. I loved Gray Ghost's reds.

First course was a sampling of wonderful fresh local asparagus prepared three ways: asparagus tempura, chilled asparagus soup with jumbo lump crab cake, and shaved asparagus salad with seared scallop and balsamic reduction. Second course was big eye tuna served two ways: seared with wasabi cream and soy reduction and ceviche with horseradish and ginger mayonnaise. Third Course was a rack of lamb lollipop with crispy garlic potato, and fourth course was a New York strip steak with wilted baby spinach and mushroom risotto. The dessert course was buttermilk panna cotta with a strawberry-rhubarb coulis and a pistachio tuile.

The food was absolutely amazing and two nights stay plus the two day cooking school and all that wonderful food for two of us was only $800.00. I don't know how they do it. I think it has to be one of the best bargains in the travel world.

Staying at Meander is a treat unto itself. Imagine a long curving driveway at the end of which sits this magnificent house built in the 1720s which sits in the middle of 80 rolling Virginia acres. There are horses and when it was clear we could see the outline of the Blue Ridge mountains. It rained most of the time so we weren't able to walk down to the river but during lulls we did walk the grounds. Instead of a yellow brick road there are red brick walk ways and around every bend and curve is a different little area planted with different flowers and bushes. The entire setting just makes you forget any problems you may have arrived with. The house also is as magnificent as you might expect. I was in the Shearer Suite again which is exceedingly comfortable. Once again I marveled at the opulent bed linens, the furniture, the chandelier in the bathroom, the wonderful bath amenities. And Meander is spotlessly clean.

I can't recommend their cooking school and a visit to Meander highly enough. The only disappointment is we didn't give ourselves an extra day to see even more of the area. Well, like Scarlett O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day" and with that will come another stay at Meander.

• Liked — Peaceful and relaxing atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing. Loved everything.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Madamqueen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
london
Reviewed 10 April 2008

We had two rooms at the inn, they were not as impressive as shown on the website.The inn needs some updating,the bathrooms were not user friendly and the tubs need to be re enamelled they look most uninviting.We ordered the basket meals one evening,they are overpriced in our opinion.The inn is in a great location for visiting the area and we had rainy weather so could not take advantage of the outside areas.

• Liked — Beautiful location
  • Disliked — Grotty bathtubs
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank grotbags
Blanch, Owner at Inn at Meander Plantation, responded to this review, 14 August 2010
We constantly strive to keep our rooms up-to-date and well maintained, while preserving the historic fabric of the property. Our 3-course Dinner Basket has been extremely popular for many years and its portions always considered very generous for two. We regret you were not pleased.
GAILHORSE
Reviewed 29 July 2007

My family from Martinvsville, Richmond and Illinois, met at the Meander Inn for my Moms memorial at the National Cemetary in Culpeper. We wanted a place that was peaceful and to share memories as a family. What a wonderful place this was for this gathering. The atmosphere was peaceful and quaint and just like being at home. We stayed in the Shearer which had a deck with a wonderful view. The Innkeeps and staff went over and above, to make this family gathering wonderful. The food was much more than I could have asked for.. My niece from Illinois said "this is just like coming home." I would highly recommend this Inn to anyone. Oh by the way my mom had an Inn Located in Orange Va and she wanted a home away from home atmosphere and that is what you get at the Meander Inn. !! My husband and I would definitely go back.
Gail Weatherall

• Liked — Cleanliness, Good Food, Great Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Had Trouble With Cell Phones
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank GAILHORSE
Lewisburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 20 July 2007

Lovely plantation home built in 1760s. Well decorated and has not been renovated so it retains the historic charm. Very clean and well maintained. It is quiet and we loved the setting. Horses in the fields around the yard and a path mowed down to the river. We liked sitting in the red lawn chairs in the evening and enjoying the birds and the beautiful flowers. Make sure to go when the restaurant is open as the food is outstanding. The breakfasts are the best we've had at any inn or historic hotel. The folks are very gracious and helpful.

Stayed July 2007
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 27 May 2007

I was really looking forward to staying at Meander, as it seemed to have some really positive reviews.

However, the customer service was atrocious. I made a reservation online and called to confirm and was assured by the innkeeper Suzie Blanchard that I had a reservation.

I subsequently received an e-mail informing me that I did not have a reservation. I called to try and find out what happened and was told that they would look into it and return my call. They did not.

The Website looks great, but beware of the staff. They seem unusually prickly."

• Disliked — Horrible Customer Service
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clarkbradley3
Blanch, Owner/Innkeeper at Inn at Meander Plantation, responded to this review, 30 November 2007
We are truly and most sincerely sorry that the situation with Mr. Clark Bradley was not handled in a different way. We always want every single guest to have a great experience and work hard to make that happen. Unfortunately mistakes happen. We take full responsibility for this error, but this insident was, however, not all our fault. Mr. Bradly NEVER had a reservtation with us. We later discovered that his girlfriend did and she has a totally different name. When I spoke with him on the phone I told him all was probably correct but that I was having difficulty finding his reservation and would need a few minutes to check (the different name would account for this.) He never gave me any indication that the reservation was in a different name. I offered to call him back. Mr. Clark said that he was going into the theater and would be turning off his cell phone and he would call me back. We have apologized to Mr. Clark.
Dexter, Maine
Reviewed 22 April 2007

We stayed at the Inn at Meander Plantation when we visiter Monticello. This graceful historic inn set on vast acres of Virginia pasture must be seen to be believed.

The rooms are spacious and appropriately decorated in period motifs and furniture, yet the bathrooms are modern and spotlessly clean.

Sadly, the restaurant is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday so we did not get to enjoy dinner at Meander, but the breakfasts were wonderful.

Suzanne and Suzie are the consumate hosts. We hope to return soon.

• Liked — The beautiful surroundings and gardens
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 19 April 2007

Beautiful, clean, comfortable rooms. Ours had a fireplace, perfect for a chilly day (April 13 &14, 2007). Good service & food. Guests are required to dine at the Inn at least one night of their stay. The 5-course meal is $65/pp, wine not included. Servings are not large, so don't expect to overeat. The location is very peaceful and there are no TVs. Nice place to get away from it all. Only 90 min away from DC.

• Liked — Fireplace and quiet environment
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
Big Meadows Lodge
Big Meadows Lodge
#1 of 8 in Shenandoah National Park
The Inn at Willow Grove

Been to Inn at Meander Plantation? Share your experiences!