“Charming and affordable Inn”

Inn at Meander Plantation
Ranked #1 of 2 Locust Dale B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 October 2006

This Inn is very historic and beautiful--it's worth a stay. I would say it's best for romantic couples. It's off the beaten path, but in a great area filled with wineries and near some sites like Monticello and Montpelier. The grounds are pretty for a stroll, but not too big.

Something happened with our room and they upgraded us to the master suite which was an unexpected surprise. They had lots of books you could pick up and look through. I remember reading one on ghosts and that was fun, being in an old plantation. There was also a porch right outside our room. Everything was really wonderful.

I would recommend getting dinner there or a reservation. We were there on a Sunday night and we drove around and found NOTHING.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Reviewed 19 September 2006

My wife and I recently stayed at the Inn at Meander Plantation over a beautiful august weekend. The experience started as we pulled through the beautiful white brick entrance gates onto the grounds. Looking up the slight hill at the manor house on top of the rise, the beautifully landscaped yards, and the boxwood gardens left us with a feeling of giddy anticipation at our weekend to come.

As we checked into our room, we were taken by the majesty of the old summer kitchen. A beautiful colonial 2 story building with wide leaded glass windows and antique hardwood floors, we could have spent several hours just enjoying the downstairs room, sitting on the exquisitely comfortable sofa looking at the 6 foot 'cooking' fireplace and chatting about the immense history and culture around this property. Upstairs the room looked just as we expected from our many visits to the website. A gorgeous claw foot tub seated right under a window allows a private view of the mountains. The expansive king size bed slept like a dream (no pun intended).

Our dinner experience was absolutely phenomenal. The cocktail hour allowed us to meet some of our fellow guests, and talk more about the antiques and appointments of the formal living room. After cocktails, we were seated in the library for dinner, and while we'd been looking forward to the main dining room we were pleasantly surprised at the private, cozy feeling of the library. We felt as though we were the patrons that the chef and staff were there to serve, though I believe the entire restaurant was full that evening.

Breakfast was another delight, the waffles, oh the waffles. Fresh fruit, the most delicious bacon I've ever had, and the most delightful poppy seed muffins.

We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Merrimac Ma
Reviewed 14 July 2006

My girlfriend and I planned a trip together to the Meander Inn and we were both overwhelmed at how beautiful the whole experience was. It was a peaceful 2 days there and every minute of our stay was absoluetly wonderful. The food is amazing, the ambience is very romantic, and the views are breathtaking. We will be back next year and cant wait.

• Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed 5 July 2006

Arriving at the Meander, we found the grounds well maintained and quite pleasant to stroll. Upon check in, we were offered brownies and informed that cocktails were at 6:00 and dinner at 7:00 as we were escorted to our room in great anticipation. However,we were quite taken aback stepping into our quarters (summer kitchen) to find a dark dank room that had been baking in the Virginia sun until our arrival. Only then was the air conditioning turned on for hot, travel weary guests. (a warning to fireplace aficionados: the massive walk in fireplace has been fitted with a gas unit.) We attempted to open doors and windows to ventilate the overpowering musty odor but were reluctant to leave them open as they were without screens. The air conditioner labored as we braved the stairs to the sleeping quarters which, fortunately, did not smell as much as downstairs but, again, no one had thought to cool down the place and upon turning on the the vintage window unit, we wondered if it would get us through the night. In contrast to how we anticipated spending our time upon arrival, we immediately left the room, as the air conditioning units would take a very long time to do an adequate job. Although the bed linens were as they appeared as in the website photograph, what we couldn't know was that the mattress was foam (adding to the heat) and the pillows of such quality and proportions we were unable to use them. I slept without either while my husband balled up shirts to form a comfortable alternative. Arriving for cocktails, we were greeted by a room full of affable fellow guests. A server approached and brought the requested glass of wine for each of us and only after receiving our dinner bill did we realize we had been charged for "cocktail hour". Upon booking with Meander, guests are informed they are expected to have dinner at the inn at least one night and, although I was quite surpised by the policy, we were equally surprised by our dining experience. Herein lies the inn's strength. The chef does a superb job from speaking with the guests to food preparation and presentation. We were quite relieved by this turn of events but dreaded returning to our quarters. Breakfast was another success and the second evening when we returned to our room, we were surprised to find it had been tidied up. It should be noted that the owners have done well with their housekeeper as the place was quite clean. As this was our 25th wedding anniversary and we had driven to the Meander from Philadelphia to celebrate, we were overall very disappointed. Furthermore, in contrast to where we spent our 24th anniversary , the occasion was neither mentioned or acknowledged in any way. The strength of the Inn lies in its chef and I would highly recommend the dining room as long as he remains.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank nin55
Blanch, Owner at Inn at Meander Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2010

We apologize again, as we did at your check-in, for the accidental oversight in failing to turn on the AC and lights prior to your arrival. We have since instituted a double-check system with the housekeeper and innkeeper to avoid this happening again. Pillows are checked and replaced regularly; others are always available on request, as you found by asking. That bed, and some others, has a memory foam topper which has been complimented by many, many guests.
We apologize for failing to acknowledge your anniversary. Some people don’t like public displays, so we try to privately acknowledge through individualized menus. We are sorry to have missed the opportunity to congratulate you on such a joyous occasion.

A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 October 2005

My husband and I just stayed at the Inn at Meander and had the most glorious time. We were greeted by Suzie and Suzanne with the utmost hospitality and enjoyed several chats with them during our stay. They led us to our room known as the Summer Kitchen, which is a two story building which dates back to the 1700's. It was a little chilly but the set us a fire and we sat downstairs and had a wonderful dinner basket prepared by the innkeepers in front of the 8 foot firplace. The sage roasted whole chicken was divine! Breakfast was equally amazing, and we will be back. All of the other guests raved about dinner in the formal dining room which we are definitly not going to miss when we return. We are already planning a trip back...this truly is an amazing place. The mountain views are breath taking and the innkeepers warm hospitality made for an amazing stay.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 April 2005

My partner talked me into taking a sick day to get out of town and a much needed break from alot of recent stress. As the family work-a-holic, it was for my mental health, so it counts!. It was absolutely and utterly amazing. None of the traffic and crowds, no waiting at the restaurants or standing in lines at the attractions. I'm totally convinced that this is the way to travel from now on. And I'm not waiting till retirement to do it again.

We got to the Inn at Meander Plantation on a Sunday night. Even though it was later in the evening, both the owners were there to meet & greet us. Since it was dark, I couldn't tell just how special this place was until the next morning. I grabbed a cup of early coffee and sat outside just taking in the countryside. It was so peaceful and quiet, I truly felt like lord of the manor.

The hosts, Suzie and Suzanne were warm and friendly, treating us like old friends even though we'd just met them. They managed to come up with a fabulous dinner (a picnic basket with china!) and we were settled in like long lost friends within moments. How completely different from the stress and impersonal attitudes we have gotten while traveling to other places.

Since we weren't there on a busy weekend, we got a personal tour of all the rooms and to really learn the history of this unbelievable estate - slave quarters, buildings that are almost 250 years old, rolling hills that were marched over by soldiers from out nation's past. The owners have done a fabulous job in keeping all of the sense of history, but making sure we had every modern creature comfort we could ask for. And the owner's willingly share the passion they have for for their place in all that they do.

Our suite, the Summer Kitchen, had fireplaces in both the sitting room and the bedroom (the one in the sitting room was a "walk-in" where they used to cook meals for the mansion). Soaking in that clawfoot tub was just what I needed to completely relax and finish leaving the world behind. I curled up in that bed, snuggled up in mounds of pillows and blankets and woke up feeling years younger as the tensions had just rolled away overnight.

Breakfast was an absolute treat. I had forgotten just how satisfying something as simple as sharing a cup of coffee with someone who has just personally baked you warm muffins made from scratch could be. When we finally piled in the car to go touring Monticello and some of the area wineries, I hated to leave. I feel like I've made new friends and can't wait to get back.

I've already told the boss I'd be taking some more sick time, even if I had to work some Saturdays to make it up. Who needs the crowds when you can have such an intimate place all to yourselves.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank labridge
Reviewed 27 January 2005

Winding your way out to Meander Plantation gives you the feeling of stepping back in time. The gracious house and lovely rooms validate that feeling. But, I'm sure that folks from that long-ago era never feasted so well or were so graciously entertained. Suzanne and Suzie and their staff certainly know how to pamper their guests.
We were there for a cooking school and we learned a lot. If you have an opportunity to participate in one of their schools, don't pass up the chance.

1  Thank MadisonInnkeeper
#1 of 2 in Madison
Walden Hall
Walden Hall
#1 of 6 in Culpeper

Been to Inn at Meander Plantation? Share your experiences!