“Very old property.”

Prospect Hill Plantation Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Louisa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2014

If you like old houses with their charm and imperfection, and kind of smell of old house this is place to go. The property itself is big and you have very lovely place to relax outside. Be aware of their 3 big dogs, running outside. Dogs are pretty friendly. How I said the house is very old and you can see it in everything. We stayed in 1840 Miss Vashti’s room for $165/night. We really did not care much for a size of the room because it was just for one night; however this room is very tiny. On pictures I guess everything looks much better and bigger. My main concern was a mattress on our bed. It seems they did not change the mattress for a looooong time. It has 2 body shape holes in it from previous sleepers. I personally had a felling I am sleeping on a hay. Toilet paper in the bathroom was 1 layer, like in cheap gas station. Shower was moldy. Carpet is dirty and old. What can you expect from old house? The breakfast was amazing. Big and delicious. The owner did everything she could to make it special. I am not going back to this B&B simply because it is way too old for me, to deal with all these historical details. I like comfort and freshness.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our group had an outstanding wedding celebration at Prospect Hill. The host, Doc, was most helpful, informative and really did a great job with setting up the rooms and dinner for the guests. We loved the old historical buildings, rooms and grounds, and appreciated the updated amenities. Dinner and breakfast were flawless, everyone liked it and would hope to return some day.

Room Tip: Can choose room in the main Inn or separate cabin.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a last minute getaway for an anniversary celebration. The plantation house and grounds were picturesque and full of history, with the plantation dating back to the 1700's. We were greeted by the owner, Doc, and immediately felt at home. Our room was comfortable and had several extras including a jacuzzi, a refrigerator with complimentary champagne, sodas, and water. It was a very peaceful setting.

Breakfast was fresh juice, coffee, a pineapple slice with yogurt and blueberries, bacon and honey wheat pancakes with homemade apple syrup. All was delicious.

We appreciated the time we got to sit with Doc and hear about the plantation's history, as well as his own family's story. We would definitely recommend this beautiful B&B.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank CaribbeanWaters
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is a lovely B&B on the site of an old plantation. We stayed in Uncle Guy's Loft - a small room in one of the out-buildings on the property. It was a nice, cozy room for my wife and me to relax. The bathroom was very cramped, but usable - our only complaint was that the window right next to the toilet was missing mini-blinds, so there was little privacy while using the toilet. That being said, it opened onto a grass field, and we managed to jam a towel up into the window to give us a bit of privacy, so it wasn't a huge issue. But other than that, it was very nice - complete with a 1/2 bottle of sparkling wine to welcome us to the room.

Breakfast was very good - waffles (nicely prepared), bacon (a little overdone), and a tasty melon. It was all served on Desert Rose China. We had it delivered to the room. There was a Keurig coffee machine in the room for coffee, but a carafe was delivered with breakfast.

The grounds are lush and bucolic. There's a nice, one mile trail through the woods for an evening stroll, plenty of friendly cats and dogs, and a beautiful porch on which to relax. They offered a 10% discount for military. Lots of character. Very nice - we'd happily return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a lovely piece of property. We had wonderful service from the owner Doc - very attentive. On the very positive side - the bed was very comfy & sheets & towels were of excellent quality. I was slightly disappointed with the room. The photos made the room appear very bright but in person, the rooms were rather dark & crowded. I do realize that part of this issue is in maintaining these very historic structures as pieces of history, but I was expecting a little bit more from the room - especially for the price. The breakfasts were fine & we did not eat supper here so I can not comment on that.

Room Tip: I am not sure on the main house, but our "slave house" room was rather small & dark
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My boyfriend and I came here for Valentine's weekend. With traffic and the snow, it was a long and frustrating ride out of the city. We arrived very late on Friday evening but were nevertheless greeted at the entryway by the owner, Doc, who showed us straight up to our room. There's something to be said about not having to fuss with checking in after a long day.
We stayed in the Terrill Room. Just a heads-up, it has been redecorated since the pictures were taken for the web site and it is now very purple. Being a young couple, we enjoyed and embraced the makeover but I imagine the new look might not be for everyone.
The tub and fire place were relished, but the bed was the best part about the room. It was the most comfortable bed I think I've ever slept in.
At Prospect Hill, it was all in the details. They brought us breakfast in bed for no additional cost, placed cookies in the room during turn down, and when a Doc noticed we were using the fire place, he prepared extra wood and newspaper for burning. It was the perfect getaway from the busy city at an excellent price, and we're already planning our return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AllyM15
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We LOVE this Bed and Breakfast. The new owners live on the premises and are warm and hospitable. The attention to detail and charming touches make this the perfect location for a quiet weekend getaway. We spent the day in Charlottesville and came back to the Dinner Basket and enjoyed an absolutely delicious dinner in our room by the fire. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank pattycar

Been to Prospect Hill Plantation Inn? Share your experiences!