“Halloween camping”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Louisa
Small Country Campground
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Halloween camping”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed the weekend of 10/17-10/20 and the staff was wonderful. The events planned were great for the kids and the whole family had fun. The facilities were clean and stocked every time we used them. WE WILL BE BACK AGAIN SOON!!!!

Room Tip: The camp sites across from the bouncy pillow are great if you have kids.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Czeiszperger

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Moneta, VA
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We have been camping many years, and have to say that we were very disappointed. We booked a "super pull thru" site...only to arrive and receive a back-in site that was very small. Alcohol was not limited to site, was common at the pool, cornhole tournament, on golf carts, and by those simply walking around the campground. Our neighbor limited his alcohol to his site, but was so keen on using lighter fluid to have a campfire, that my husband and I were afraid to go to sleep, lest our camper catch fire (very small sites!). Campground staff limited themselves to the office area, do not make rounds to ensure that ALL campers have an enjoyable experience. Why bother having "rules" if you do not choose to enforce them? My son almost had a pair of tennis shoes stolen while at the jumping pillow by an adult couple. We were afraid to leave anything outside our camper or leave our compartments unlocked-another first in our many years of camping. Lake is 60% covered up with lilly pads-sure don't see that in the pictures on their website. "Beach" area is a 12x12 patch of clean sand with the remainder of mixture of sand, red dirt, gravel, and weeds. Bath houses left a lot to be desired-smelled like a good Clorox hose down might help. No towels, hand soap. This is not a family friendly campground, I would not recommend that you allow your children to have the normal freedoms given in a campground, too much overuse of alcohol. They will not get our money again. Campground has the potential to be a really nice place with lots of amenities, but they need to gain control and decide what kind of campers they want to serve.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Kim M
midlo va
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Beautiful grounds-HORRIBLE experience! We booked our weekend in advance expecting a peaceful stay with our young children. The brochure indicated a sock-hop weekend. We got MAGSTOCK. A group of about one hundred 20-year-olds who drank, cussed and played loud music all night long. For a change in events of this magnitude, I would have thought I would have been notified. I would have gladly rescheduled my visit so my children would not have been exposed to their constantly inappropriate behavior. They took over the lake, the pool, the horseshoes, the jumping pillow and every other aspect of the campground. We were informed the game room was closed, though Sunday the owner said it should not have been. The tractor was “broken down,” so no hayride. Because of all of this, my children were not able to enjoy anything. I brought all of these issues to Mr. Small's attention who stated, "hope you give us another chance," and he in no way made me feel like he was trying to address my concerns.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank mary g
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 11 July 2013

On June 13 though June 20,2013, me & my wife stayed at small country campground and the whole time we were there, the bathrooms did not have any paper towels,no soap,no air dryers,nothings and the smell of the bathrooms were very disgusting when I asked the people at the front office which was nasty and dirty as well. They kept putting me and my wife off, then when me and my wife finally talked to the owner about stuff that should be in the bathrooms. He responded back by telling us we have our own stuff in our trailer" use your own paper towels and soap. I am not spending my money for paper towels or soap." I also had the owners grandson walked in on me when I was taking a shower,and when I told Tanesa ( the manager) what happened, she did not even care.,It was very sad and improper what me and my wife went though at this campground.
I would never recommend anyone to go to this campground at all.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jefferya709
Round Hill, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We were with 2 other families where two of us were in campers and one in a tent - the weekend of June 21-23. We stayed in the black color-coded area and these sites were quite small and not level. The bathrooms were clean, but offered no way to dry your hands (no towels, no blower). The lake is the best asset, but be aware the sandy beach areas are small. We brought inner tubes and just floated around which worked for us. The water trampoline has a hole in the jumping web, but others still enjoyed the other 2 anchored floating devices. There is a large "pillow trampoline" around the regular playground and our kids (ages 3 - 20) had a blast with that. The campground seemed about 1/3 to 1/2 full which didn't surprise me since some area schools had just let out that week - but it probably also has to do with the fact that this is just a basic average campground. There are some that prefer a basic, average campground - this is NOT a resort campground.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nancy S
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Our first time visiting and what a great week we had at the Small Country campground 6/18-23/2013. The campground is so natural and "home" feeling - not a big commercial resort lot like some campgrounds are. There were not a lot of golf carts so we didn't have to worry about the younger ones crossing the street, like at some of the other campgrounds. They took care of us from the minute we arrived and went out of their way to accommodate our requests to make sure we all had a great time! The fishing was GREAT (bobber fishing for crappie/brim which our younger kids really enjoyed and wanted to do every day) the pool and jumping pillow were clean and lots of fun even for the adults!

The Small's and managers (Brian and Tanessa) really know what they are doing and go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need! I can't say thank you enough to Brian for all he did - he took time helping us get our DirectTV hooked up so we could see the NBA playoffs (Go Heat!) Mr. Small and staff have made so upgrades to the campground (we loved the new fishing pier and docks) and they are working on a miniature golf course which will be really nice, when finished. Thanks for your hospitality guys - a great time was enjoyed by my whole family! You have a slice of heaven there - we will be back!
Donna Reed

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Donna R
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We camped here over the weekend. My daughter and I were in Eagle cabin, which was clean and comfortable. We were quite surprised to find that we were to use a port-a-john outside our cabin. Thankfully, it wasn't raining when we had to go out in the middle of the night ! The port-a-john was clean and amazingly smelled fresh like soap :) We were happy to have A/C in our cabin, and the ceiling fan was a welcome addition. We enjoyed the lake, the pool, the bouncing pillow and picnicking under the shade trees. Thanks for the load of firewood ! The bath houses were new, modern and clean, but the water had a funny , rotten smell. They were also very clean. My nephew was in an adjacent lot for a camper, and my sister-in-law in the next spot, in a rental unit. Her A / C wouldn't work !!!!! They opened the windows for a breeze, but on Saturday night it rained... we really enjoyed Small Country Campground and will plan to go back again :)

Room Tip: If you have a problem walking or are afraid of going out at night, don't get Eagle cabin, as you...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Louisa
Best Western Plus Crossroads Inn & Suites
Keswick Hall
Keswick Hall
#1 of 1 in Keswick
Clifton Inn
Clifton Inn
#20 of 35 in Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlo...
#1 of 35 in Charlottesville
Comfort Inn Monticello
Comfort Inn Monticello
#15 of 35 in Charlottesville
Shenandoah Crossing
Shenandoah Crossing
#1 of 1 in Gordonsville

Been to Small Country Campground? Share your experiences!