“Nice place”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 26 March 2014

There are not a lot of restaurants in Lovingston, so this one stands out. It is small, but the food is good. Many of the locals eat there, so the staff knows the regulars. Prices are reasonable.

1  Thank Steven W

Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Saturday weekend specials for the last couple of weeks has included a strip steak which we both ordered and both agreed was horrible. Absolutely no flavor whatsoever, we tried to figure out what was wrong with what would normally be a decent piece of steak. It was decided it tasted as if it was injected with water or was boiled in water. When we returned this week, I asked and sure enough it seems they think cooking steak "sous-vide" is a good idea. Not having knowingly had a steak cooked this way I looked it up and seemingly it's a great way to cook a steak - BUT it's not supposed to "taste" like it's boiled. Not sure how this is being done at TLC - maybe not vaccum packed - but don't waste your money on this steak, has no flavor at all. Our server said that they have had numerous complaints about it; my suggestion grill it or figure out why it tastes like boiled rubber.

2  Thank Linda L
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is the 3rd time we've eaten at TLC (The Lovingston Cafe). Always delicious!! They make the best Reuben sandwich I've ever had. The corned beef is super tender and the sandwich just melts in your mouth. It's worth the 1 1/2 hr trip up there. This little restaurant is the gem of Nelson County!! Not to be missed!!

1  Thank Familygal89
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We've been eating here several times a year since it opened whenever we travel US 29. In fact, we plan our travel times through the area to enjoy the food and have never been disappointed. The menu changes somewhat on a seasonal basis with daily special. My very all time favorite is the ham and pea soup. We usually split a Greek salad, this is a large salad, and then we both order a sandwich or entree. Crab cakes, burgers, and BBQ are very good. On our recent visit I had the BBQ sandwich and asked for hot sauce. The waitress brought Sriracha, and I was a little taken back. But, I tried it with BBQ and it was great.

This is a cozy and friendly place, and the service is as good as the food. Locals and travelers are all great and served graciously. It's also a good place for all age groups. Don't be tempted by the fast food spots on the highway. This is a half block away in distance and light miles away in food.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

My wife and I make the trip to Lovingston from Charlottesville (about 45 minutes) on a fairly regular basis. We haven't had everything on the menu yet, but that's our goal. We've never been disappointed.