“Quaint, excellent food & portions, a little slow, but great salsa too!”
Review of La Fogata

La Fogata
Ranked #79 of 313 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Cuisines: Mexican, Central American
Mexico, New York
“Quaint, excellent food & portions, a little slow, but great salsa too!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stopped by here while traveling south from northern VA...a little off the beaten path, but worth the drive. Quaint little area, small shops, easy parking. Nice staff (I think she was the owner) good chips and salsa was great. The portions were quite large for the price, but even with 2 tables with patrons, service was a bit slow. Nevertheless, great experience and would go back...especially with an appetite. Lots of selections!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Robert P

Reston, Virginia
“Great food at great prices”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We eat at this restaurant almost every time we visit my daughter at college. The service is very friendly and the food is good - try the mole'!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank mamallamafor3
Beverly, Ohio
“Great authenic Mexican cuisine”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The service was great and food was delicious. The portions were about right and the price was very reasonable.

Visited April 2014
Forest, VA
“Amazing flavors!”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Salsa is better than anything else around. Friendly service. Amazing flavors - try any of the combos! True authentic Mexican food.

Lynchburg, Virginia
“Your Credit Cards Aren't Secure/They Demanded I LEAVE Mine!”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I went to La Fogata for dinner, just me. I made sure to look to make sure they accepted Visa before I ordered (I'm not from around here and some of our mexican restaurants back home are cash only). I was impressed with the food. The service left a little be desired - if you're salsa is going to be that hot, keep the refills coming.

My problem was when I went to pay. I went to pay with my credit/debit card only to be told by the server that their phone line was down for the day and they couldn't swipe my card. I told her that was all I had, and would be more than happy to come back the next day to check. She called the manager who tried to insist that I leave my actual card with him and then I could pick it back up "once they were able to make the charges". I explained that I was never told that they were running cash only that night, and this really shouldn't be my fault, and that I absolutely was not leaving my card. So then he asked to write down the number. Actually insisted.

I offered up photo copies of my drivers license as proof of identity with my address, and my phone number. He said that he didn't trust I would answer the phone when he called. Ok - so you don't want to trust that I'll answer my phone, but you want me to trust that my credit card is safe in your care?

The server, still standing there, handed me a stack of credit card slips and said it was no different than running the card and them having the reciept. I showed her where the card numbers are starred out (first 12 digits) for security. But if they weren't? Then they just handed me all of the credit card slips from before the phones went down, with their customers credit card number.

In the end I had to write a check. I am not happy about that. This was not my fault. Had I known that it was cash only, I would have gone elsewhere for dinner.

It's not because of the food or service I won't return. I won't return because of their business practices. They made no effort

• Visited July 2013