“Good place to stay in the area - near everything!”

Hilton Garden Inn Lynchburg
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Pittsburgh
“Good place to stay in the area - near everything!”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I would probably rate this a 4 in any big area, but since Lynchburg doesn't have much to choose from as far as hotels go, this is a 5 in relation to the competition.

This is a fairly typical Hilton Garden Inn. The room is standard, was fairly clean, had a nice modern decour and feel to it, and the bed wasn't bad (some type of sleep number bed - I don't think mine worked though). There were a few mystery stains on the carpeting, the linens felt a little worn and the bed spread had a stain on from someone obviously laying on top of the bed with dirty shoes. Not the hotel's fault but housekeeping should have caught it. The HVAC was VERY LOUD and would come on for only a few seconds and shut off. My room was either hot or freezing - no inbetween. It is an old fashioned under the window type unit they have tied into a thermostat. It kept me awake the first few nights I stayed here.

The hotel is fairly new so I was surprised to see this overall type of wear and tear already. It would be interesting to come back in 5 years to see how they are holding up.

I'm more partial to the Marriott brands, but booked the HGI based on the location. This hotel is right across the street from a large shopping plaza with a Target, Walmart, Dicks, and Sams Club among other stores. There are plenty of places to eat close by including an Olive Garden directly across the street, some type of road house, a Chipotle, and Buffalo Wild Wings just to name a small sample.

The fitness center is tiny but has free weights which is a plus. The pool is also tiny but the water was a nice temp and everything was clean. If you are a runner like I am, there is no place to safely run around the hotel unless you do laps around the parking lot. It is on a busy highway and I didn't want to get hit by a car, so I stuck to the treadmill. I didn't get a chance to try the lobby bar, but it looked nice and their menu prices were reasonable.

Please be aware - breakfast is not free. It is $9.95. Some other reviews here led me to believe otherwise - I'm not sure if they know how free continental breakfasts work - this hotel doesn't have one so don't fall for the other reviews which indicate it does.

All in all, I had a good experience here. No complaints about the service ... my key cards wouldn't work the first few tries and this was handled politely by the front desk. I would recommend this property for anyone staying in the Lynchburg area, especially if you are visiting Liberty University.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Great hotel staff. They worked very hard to accommodate requests and knew the area very well. Rooms soundproof and quiet. Nice TV. Sheets, duvet cover and dust ruffles for beds were very thin and wrinkled. Just didn't look clean. Same with the shower curtain. Lighting was poor especially with the dark walls and carpeting. Air conditioner unit was under the window and caused the curtains to blow out while working at the desk next to them. Room needed an update.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
126SueS126, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lynchburg, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Our valued guest,

On behalf of myself and my entire staff I want to thank you for taking the time to let others know of your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, Lynchburg. Thank you for your kind words of my employees. I must agree with you, they really enjoy taking care of our guests!

I understand why you were disappointed with the quality of our linens. We are currently discarding our "worn" ones and we certainly must have missed the ones on your bed. We have and will continue to donate the worn linens to the animal shelters in the area, which they have been most appreciative. Our drapes will soon be fitted with weights on the bottom so that they will not be blowing while the unit is on. My apologizes for the inconvenience.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sue Spencer
Camden NY
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at! From checking in with Nathan at the front desk, to check out, the staff was incredibly friendly and very helpful.
Lobby was beautiful. Rooms were nice, extremely clean and soundproof!
Highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to stay there again when visiting my family who lives in the area!

Room Tip: We chose a room facing the road, to avoid the noise from the railroad that runs right behind the hot...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Our valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback regarding your stay at our Hilton Garden Inn, Lynchburg. Tripadvisor is a great tool for others to read reviews from someone who has actually stayed at a particular hotel. I will certainly share your comments with my staff, especially Nathan, he is a great asset to our hotel.

I appreciate you enjoying your stay and can't wait till you return to see our fabulous lobby, we are currently under renovations and will have a whole new look with our "Project Grow".

We are certainly looking forward to your return and can't wait to get your reaction to our new lobby.

Sue Spencer
Clarksburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Friendly front desk.
Very clean and attractive lobby, halls and room.
We typically stay in Hampton Inns, another Hilton brand. However, we chose this property, based solely on the reviews found on Yelp & Trip Advisor. Therefore, we've had no experience with the Garden Inn branch of the Hilton Corp.
Our room was nicely furnished and very clean. Kudos to the housekeeper(s) that cleaned our room.
Beds feel very hard, upon first sitting down.....shockingly so. However, after laying on one for a few min. It became very comfortable. (Note: these beds have adjustable firmness settings for each side. Mine was all the way to soft.)
A/C & heat has one speed....turbo, but this only served to reach proper temp. quickly.
Before I fell asleep, three trains had passes only a few yards from my window (no whistles). I worried this might prevent me from sleeping. Neither the turbo heater nor the train awoke my slumber.
I was shocked to learn there wasn't a complimentary continental breakfast included with this rate, especially since they are the norm in the hotel / motel biz.
In room microwave & refrigerators are nice, but they should be turned on. I needed the refrigerator, but it was off (dial all the way off) & hot. Barely cold by morning.
My only disappointments were the lack of cont. breakfast & the hot ref. I should have researched more about the breakfast (lesson learned).
All in all, this was a clean, comfortable hotel with friendly employees.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Brennon O
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This is a nice Hilton Garden Inn near Liberty University and all the shopping centers. It is the best chain hotel for atmosphere/value in the area in my opinion. I have stayed in a few of them for business.

• Stayed March 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Staying at this hotel was an amazing experience! We stayed there for four nights with a girls basketball team and they were extremely accommodating. They even allowed us the use of a conference room for our "end of tournament party" at no cost! The restaurant staff was amazing and the breakfasts were delicious. A far cry from the usual continental breakfast we'd grown accustom to! The rooms were VERY clean! I usually travel with Lysol and bleach wipes and have a strict "one hair rule". The cleanliness exceeded my expectations and the Lysol and bleach wipes weren't even needed. One of my favorite features of the hotel was the onsite laundry facilities. It made it super easy to wash uniforms, especially at 1:00 a.m.! I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff made it wonderfully easy to feel "at home"! You just can't go wrong staying here!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
stockton
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I recently stayed a week at this hotel for a nearby college course. Exceptional customer service!; all staff members were superb, very friendly, and accommodating!!! The room(s) was clean and spacious. The complimentary shuttle service was beyond by expectations. The breakfast was good and fresh. The only issues were the small fitness center and the rooms (even numbered rooms) near the railroad. I was given a new room because the train noise became unbearable. Overall, this was a fine hotel with very professional and courteous staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone venturing to Lynchburg.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms are quieter as they are far from the railroad.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Andrew M, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Lynchburg, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Thank you for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn - Lynchburg! We appreciate your candid feedback and are pleased to hear how wonderful your stay was. It is great to hear that the Front Desk accommodated you as best as they could when changing your room to the front side of the hotel. We hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Warm Regards,