“Needs a Good Scrub & Updating” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University

Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Needs a Good Scrub & Updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2012

I'll start by saying that we had a fairly decent stay at the Wyndham, but the hotel could use some updating. I noticed there were no user pictures of this property at the time of my staying, so I tried to take a few. I wish I could have gotten some of the pool area, but it wasn't worth risking my $400 phone.

The lobby of the hotel is neat and clean, but definitely has a dated decor. That's not a huge deal to me, so I did not deduct points for that. The check-in process was easy and the front desk personnel were very polite and helpful. All of our online requests were met and everything we needed was available in the room. The first room we were assigned smelled of mildew/mold so bad that we had to change rooms. The second room was fine in terms of smell, so that is what I will base this review on.

Upon entering, the room appeared to be clean and laid out fairly well. We did notice some a few stains on the walls (pics), but it wasn't a huge deal. We had a king-sized bet that was able to sleep my husband and me; then we had a pull-out sofa for my oldest daughter (4) and Pack 'n' Play portable crib for my youngest daughter (1). I wouldn't say there was plenty of room to move around after all of that was set up, but we didn't have to rearrange after we got it set up and were able to move freely for the most part. The pull-out sofa cushions were stained on one side and, instead of being cleaned, they were flipped over to the clean side to conceal the stains. That was kind of gross. Upon pulling out the mattress, I was disappointed with its condition. It looked original to the hotel and very lumpy and dirty (pics). The mattress pad for the bed was missing all but one of the elastic straps to hook it around the mattress. The Pack 'n' Play was dirty. Like, legitimately stained around the sides. I don't even know how it would get like that except if someone let a baby roll around in some mud and then put it down for a nap in the Pack 'n' Play. The rest of the room was in average condition. The decor is dark, what with the dark carpet and furniture and it needs to be updated/replaced. Lots of dinged up furniture (pics). The bed itself was comfortable, but it was difficult to sleep soundly with the sound of the heating/air unit being right at the foot of the bed and the green spotlight that lights up the whole building at night, shining into our window. Also, the people, in the room next door, who were up until 11:00 with their kids talking loudly, laughing and yelling didn't help either. Hope my crying baby, who likes to wake up at 7:00, didn't bother them too much. So, yeah...walls are thin.

The coffee-maker was very neat and fast and my daughter loved having a bag of popcorn provided to us in the room, so those were nice touches that we appreciated. Both the refrigerator and microwave worked properly.

Breakfast was fairly decent -- your typical continental fare with the exception of a waffle maker, powdered eggs and either sausage or ham. I can't remember which. I suffered an upset stomach after eating the waffle our first morning, so I skipped breakfast for the remainder of the trip. The breakfast area was very clean and not crowded during our stay.

The main reason we booked this hotel, and the biggest reason for the points deduction, was the pool. We were in the area to visit family for Thanksgiving and it was cold, of course. My daughter loves to swim, so we thought it would be great for her to stay in a hotel that had an indoor pool in the middle of November! We went to the pool the first morning and stuck no more than one toe in. It was FREEZING! We had already changed everyone into swim suits and aired up floats, so we weren't leaving without taking at least one dip -- which we ended up having to do in the hot tub. It, conversely, was boiling hot. So much so that a window nearby was cracked open, letting in freezing air. We only lasted about five or ten minutes in that before we were fully cooked and had to get out and head back to our room. As we were leaving, an older couple were attempting to do what appeared to be their morning swim/exercise and they were fleeing as well, shaking their heads and commenting, "I knew it was too good to be true." While in the hot tub, we were informed by a staff member that the pool had recently been drained and refilled and that's why the cold temperature. Okay, but even still, the hotel should invest in a pool blanket to help retain heat. I'll bet a month later that pool is still not warm. So, beware if you're planning your stay around using the indoor pool -- especially with kids. It's NOT warm. Also, I'd like to comment on the foliage around the hot tub and pool area. It was surrounded by a ton of plants that were either dead or in the midst of dying. It was a sad sight and wasn't at all tropical or relaxing. We did not make another return trip to the pool or hot tub during our stay.

Parking at the hotel was fine, but be warned: it's windy on that mountain! Plan accordingly outerwear-wise!

Overall, our stay wasn't horrible, wasn't great. I would say average. We will probably stay elsewhere next time. We travel to the area often to see my husband's family and have a mental list of pre-approved hotels to pick from. Like I said before, the reason we chose this one was because we had never stayed here before and we wanted to utilize the indoor pool, which was a let-down.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
First of all, I want to apologize for the condition of you room and let you that is was definitely not up to our high standards. Upon receiving your survey I also wanted you to know that we immediately followed your advice.
Our Maintenance Team took this room apart and gave it a good scrub down from top to bottom. In addition to a through scrubbing the room was repainted. (Because the rooms on the first floor are very popular, they do tend to receive more wear and tear.) With this in mind our Housekeeping Staff has been “deep cleaning” all the rooms on the first floor. Our property is an older property, but there is no excuse for us not having the cleanest rooms in town. (In 2013, we are also making plans for a complete remodeling of our entire hotel!)
You are correct, just before Thanksgiving had problems with our pool heater and that we had to order a new one. (Because it was likely to take several days for it to be replaced we posted on our web site that our pool was out of order.) It did not take long to receive the part to fix the problem. However, in order to replace the heater we had to drain the entire swimming pool and refill it with water. It then took several days for pool to get back to its normal 86 degree temperature. (This was very unusual and unfortunate that it happened just before the Thanksgiving Holiday.)
Again, thank you for your comments… these have been shared with our entire staff, owners and management company. In addition, I will be phoning you to assure you that your next stay will be much better! You can count on us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
CHESAPEAKE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

Location great! Bed super comfy! But----housekeeping needs to do better. Lost a rate savings by reserving room 1 month in advance. Week I went, the rate was $20 less. No wonder they wouldn't give lower rate. Watch the no cancelling warning!!! Never again!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

1 Thank NANCY W
Brian K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
During the month of December we ran a "Holiday Special" with discounted rates for families coming to visit Lynchburg. It sounds like you may have booked with a "3rd Party" web site at a higher rate. (Many of these web sites have a no refund policy.) We always encourage guests to book directly, through our 800# or online through our Wingate web site. If you have any specific problems with Housekeeping we definitely want to know. Our Housekeeping Supervisor will inspect the room that you stayed in and correct any problems. On your next visit, please contact me directly and I will make sure you get the best rate!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

My husband and I booked the Jacuzzi suite....it was with out a doubt...Awesome!!!! We wanted a very relaxing weekend away and that is what we got...the only thing I would suggest, is for the cleaning staff to not disturb on check out day until either 12:00 or after you have left. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We plan on going back again soon!!!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Glad you had an AWESOME WEEKEND with us here at the Wingate! It is always great to have a weekend away and our Jacuzzi Suite is our most popular room on weekends. Because it takes 20-30 minutes to thoroughly clean a room our Housekeeping Staff arrives at 9:30 am on weekends to get started. Unless there is a “Do Not Disturb” sign, our Housekeepers will typically knock on the door to see what time you would like to have your room serviced. (Because of their outstanding efforts we have the cleanest rooms in town!)