“Do not stay here with your wedding”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Lynchburg
“Do not stay here with your wedding”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have always stayed at the Wingate all throughout college and for past five years. However this past weekend, I booked it out for my wedding party/guest, etc. They were the most unaccommodating throughout the entire process as I've ever witnessed any hotel to be. We asked for early check-in (one hour). They said no. We asked if we could have one hour late check-out to finish getting ready for our wedding and they immediately said no. I understand it's inconvenient to have people check in and check out early and late however this is a wedding. I don think an hour late one time would kill them. So unhelpful and totally unwilling to budge at all. Extremely unprofessional and will not be staying here again. Not a good way to leave an impression on over thirty people when there's ten other hotels within a mile radius.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Jltenney
Brian K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
This morning I spoke to your Mom and she said that you were on your Honeymoon so we will follow-up with you personally next week. Our Wingate has always been known as an “excellent location” for wedding parties and I wanted to apologize for not be able to provide early check-in and check-out for some of your guests. Christine Mayotte, our Group Sales Coordinator, has offered to follow-up with groups in advance to make sure that we don’t miss any important details or special requests. We do appreciate your feedback and thank you for allowing us to be a part of your wedding celebration. We promise to do a better job at anticipating of needs for future wedding groups!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This property had a great staff, from the front desk to the breakfast attendant and housekeepers. The staff members were friendly and were able to anticipate my needs. The staff is what gave this property a 3, the hotel itself needs work. The fitness facility is outdated (rust was present) and the pool area while it was supposed to give an oasis feel had a horrible odor and was muggy. The best thing about the room was the view and the tv. We had a gorgeous view of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the tv looked like it had been updated recently with a clear hd picture. The good things stopped there. The floors did not look like they had been cleaned and there was hair present that was not my own. There were some maintenance issues that needed to be addressed as well. We had a blast in Lynchburg and I would possibly stay here another time if I needed to for one night, but two would be pushing it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
We definitely appreciate you staying with us at the Wingate Lynchburg and would love for you to stay longer! This month we began a complete remodeling of our hotel which will include all guest rooms and public areas. (As part of our remodeling we will be doubling the size of our Fitness Center and adding new equipment!) We appreciate your patience during this process which will be completed after the first of the year. We can’t wait to share the results our remodeling with you!
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2014

After a long, fun family vacation where we had stayed at two other very accommodating hotels, we arrived at this hotel after touring Appomattox Court House. We are a family of five. My husband booked the hotel through Hotels.com requesting 2 queen beds. When we arrived we were told 5 people could not stay in the room because it was against Virginia fire code. Really?! No other place we have stayed in the last 3 trips we have taken in Virginia mentioned this. The boy at the desk was not helpful at all. He said he could not change anything. My husband said he would sleep in the car to comply with their 'fire code', but the manager said he could not do that. Bottom line we had to shell out 80 more dollars for a suite with one king bed and a pull out couch. When you are in the hotel business, you should make your guests feel welcome. I felt cheated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie S
I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate the additional guests in your room. The maximum number of guests in each room is actually based on square footage rather than the number of beds. (We do not charge for extra guests, but the limit is set with guest safety in mind.) The only way that we were able to accommodate the additional guests was to upgrade your standard room to a suite. I am sorry that you felt cheated, but we truly only had your safety in mind. In the future, please give me a call directly and I will provide an additional discount on the second room.
Aiken
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This round, I stayed two weeks at the Wingate. It was hard to be away from my family but staying at the Wingate was great. I was able to meet several new people who I now call friends. Having the shuttle was a definite plus because I barely had to move my vehicle. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Bryan is the best on the staff- a wealth of knowledge. He goes above and beyond to make staff feel welcome. I'm excited to hear about the on site guest laundry being installed. My room was very comfortable however I was difficult at times to get clean towels and washcloth a few times requested. We did receive them a little later on though.

Room Tip: The 5th floor is very quiet. The king suites are quite spacious.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Brian K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
We’re glad that we could “Make You Feel At Home” during your 2-week stay with us at the Wingate Lynchburg. Our job is to help you RELAX, while you are taking the Intensive Classes and we try to provide many extras, including: Orientation/Pizza Social on Sunday nights and complimentary chair massages for guests on Monday & Thursday evenings from 4:00 to 6:30 pm. Anytime one of our Wingate Team Members can assist you during your stay, please do not hesitate to ask!
PA
Reviewed 22 July 2014

There was just so much wrong with our visit. Half the electrical outlets did not work in the room and I had to unplug the cordless phone and clock to plug in the lights! The phone mysteriously would ring once or twice throughout the day. When we said something we were told both of these problems are known and the best they could do is move us to a different room...the next day. We just made do with the outlets and unplugged the corded phone too. Oh and we had put stuff in the fridge when we got there and then discovered the next day when we went to pull it out that the fridge was not cold. It had been unplugged and we didn't unplug it. So we had to toss everything we had brought!

The beds were horrible too. Not even my kids slept well on them and they sleep like rocks. It also didn't help that we had a room facing away from the city and had a spot light shining into the room all night long! And don't get me started on the wi-fi. It was so slow, which I don't understand since they are owned by Liberty University and I know LU has great internet. I was in the middle of playing an online video game to relax one night and was kicked off after 5 minutes. After that I could not get my internet connection to come back.

The worse part, it took FOUR HOURS to get our room cleaned. We were even on the first floor so there were only like 6 rooms. She tore down all the rooms (whether or not someone had been staying in the room) and then redid them...all at once. We had just gotten to the hotel shortly after noon and saw our room was being taken care of so we waited in the common area thinking it would take 30 minutes at max. We waited, and waited...and waited. It was horrible. If we would have known it would take that long we would just dealt with the room as is. It was so hard to keep two kids entertained in the common area since we couldn't go back to our room to change to go swimming (which is what we wanted to do).

The receptionist people were very cold most of the time too. The sales manager was the only warm person we met besides the lady who cooks the breakfast. The breakfast was the best part of the visit. There was a large variety so my kids picked something different every day. They had cereal, waffles, toast, muffins, english muffins, yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, and meat (some days it was bacon and others it was sausage).

Next time I come to Lynchburg I will save my money and just go to Super 8 like usual. I thought I would try here since it is supposed to be nicer and I was bringing my family. It was only worth it for the breakfast since I did have my kids. My kids won't be coming next time so I will save the money. I don't mind Frosted Flakes every morning.

Room Tip: If room faces the hill toward road you get great spot lights in the room, lol.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank redheadsdad
Our goal is to always exceed expectations and I am sorry that we were disappointed in your recent stay with us. After reading about the number of problems that you had with your room we decided to put this room off market so our Maintenance Team could look into the electrical problems and issues with the internet that you experienced.

Many of the members of our Housekeeping Team take care of multiple floors and were running behind schedule on the day that you stayed with us. You are correct, we should have been able to give you a better idea of the time frame for cleaning your room. Another suggestion would be to place a “Do Not Disturb” sign on your room and we will wait until after you leave to clean your room.

We would like for you to stay with us again and if you contact me directly, I will be happy to personally set up your reservation and provide an additional discount for the problems that you experienced. We do appreciate you letting us know and hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.
Virginia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I booked a same day reservation for a last minute quick trip. I very much enjoyed the stay and would choose this place again for location and other positives.

Value - booked through hotwire which doesn't tell you the name of the hotel, I probably saved $20%+ and paid around $85+$20 in fees. Pretty comparable to the others in the area. With a free hot breakfast it was definitely worth it. Breakfast was the best part - not standard small continental, but also had fruit, yogurt, cereal, bagels, Belgian waffle maker, muffins, fruit, sausage & eggs.

Building/Location- Perfect for anyone visiting Liberty, it's not only in walking distance, but there is a shuttle that stops in front of the hotel. Plenty of parking, well-lit, in a good area. Has a nice overlook of the University and mountains.

Room - comfy beds, pillows were OK, had a larger seating area than I expected with a desk and couch. Pretty quiet atmosphere but we were there during a random Saturday (no holiday, all schools there are out).

Cons - my only real complaint is that the bathroom could have been cleaner. I am not sure how regularly hotels clean shower heads and curtains but it had a bit of an old smell and probably needed a thorough cleaning. I didn't have a problem with anything else during the stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
You really did an outstanding job with your review and we appreciate you highlighting our value, location, and room amenities here at the Wingate Lynchburg. We are in the process of remodeling our hotel, including guest rooms, bathrooms, and public areas. Until this remodeling is completed and our Housekeeping Team is in the process of deep cleaning all bathrooms to make sure that they are thoroughly cleaned. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us!
Clayton, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at the Wingate for an Intensive Course. Rooms were comfortable, quiet, and clean. The complementary breakfast was ok. There was a variety of cereal, yogurt, bagels, etc. There are also hot items: waffles (make your own), eggs, and sausage or bacon. The eggs were not good -- they seem to be made of a powdered mix and the "omelet" was just the egg folded in half with a glop cheese in the middle. I think there are better hotels in the area for the same amount of money. Also, I had a lot of trouble with the Wi-Fi which was apparently localized to the floor I was on (5th). Staff said they would look into it but I used the campus Library and other spots instead.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us at the Wingate Lynchburg… we appreciate you sharing your feedback. Our Breakfast Manager does try offer a variety breakfast items on a daily basis. She typically alternates between Scrambled Eggs, Cheese Omelets, or Western Omelets, along with an optional meat item such as Sausage Links or Patties, Smoked Bacon, or Canadian Bacon. If you have any suggestions of any other breakfast items that you would like us to add, please let us know. We are in the process of improving Wi/Fi signal and also offer hard wired internet access in guest rooms which offers faster download speeds.