“Good location, but a kind of tired hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Lynchburg

Holiday Inn Lynchburg
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Dickerson, Maryland
“Good location, but a kind of tired hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

As many reviewers note, this hotel is in a good location with respect to the historic downtown of Lynchburg, but it does strike me as a fairly tired one. I chose to stay here based in part on my relationship with the IHG rewards and the brand, for which I am quite used to seeing hotel management responses to reviews on Trip Advisor but note that they seem to be absent here. The night I was here the hotel was fully booked, which could explain the lack of attention. I was happy with the staff treatment as a platinum stayer, but some aspects of my room were a bit off. I was in room 825, which is adjacent to a room that seems to be an executive lounge and shares a connecting door. Being the inquisitive sort, I opened my half of the connecting doors and found the other open as well rather than locked, which seems odd. Needless to say I relocked mine and moved a bench in front of it (not that I'm security conscious). Hopefully it's not used in the morning before I depart. Also, the lamps in the room have sockets for phone chargers, but they would not work with mine; I had to unplug one and use the wall socket.

One item of note, there is a small parking lot adjacent to the hotel, actually before it as you follow the one way direction along Main Street; this lot can be used for parking, but they prefer you to use the parking structure after the hotel and provide a permit to display on your dash. If you do that, you can park in front of the hotel temporarily while checking in, then move to the parking structure. Not a big deal, but might warrant explaining on the hotel's site at IHG.com. I wound up leaving my car in the lot because I walked to dinner and the parking situation hadn't been obvious before I checked in; call me lazy.... Overall I would stay here again, but would be open to a different hotel based on rewards offers for the other chains I frequent when I travel on business. Probably wouldn't seek it out on a leisure stay, but wouldn't rule it out.

Room Tip: Don't take 825.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lynchburg, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Eric B,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience and for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite member. We are happy to hear our hotel location worked for your travel needs. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my apologies for your less than satisfactory stay due to some aspects of our hotel amenities. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and trust that we will address the issues for necessary improvements. We do hope when business or pleasure brings you back to the area, you will allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed over the weekend at this hotel with several friends and really enjoyed our experience! The hotel is in a great location that is within walking distance to a lot of activity for shopping and dining on Main St. Check in was a breeze, parking convenient and the staff super friendly. Breakfast was a great way to start the morning and the outdoor pool provided relaxation in the evening. The rooms are well appointed with all the necessary ammenities for a family of 4 and the housekeeper was pleasant and helpful. Thank you for a wonderful stay! We will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Litchfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is a lovely, quiet hotel in the middle of downtown Lynchburg, however, it is very expensive and they do not offer breakfast as most hotels tend to do these days. The room was very nice and so comfortable, plus we had a great view of the pool below us and the city. This is a lovely town to walk about in and along the river front and hotel is perfectly located for this.

Room Tip: The top floor is great for the views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were in town for a wedding and stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed every minute of our stay. Friendly staff, nicely remodeled rooms, and housekeeping staff that was ready to help you in any way at any time. Parking was very convenient and no extra cost! Location was close to several restaurants. We will definitely stay here again for any future events in lovely Lynchburg!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were in town for a wedding and it was a perfect location! The hotel is nicely remodeled and breakfast at the restaurant in the morning was great. The staff was very nice and attentive & the kids enjoyed the rooftop pool!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were in town for a wedding and stayed here for 3 nights. It was exactly what we were looking for! Accommodations were fantastic, service was great and the location was so convenient for our needs. Our rooms were clean and there was always someone available to bring additional towels and coffee before we could even ask! And such a great price!! We would highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again in the future!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

In the area for a business meeting I stayed one night, I circled the block as the entrance is not well marked neither is the garage parking. Front desk staff very hospitable. My room was on the 8th floor with a nice view, furnishings seemed somewhat updated - maybe soft goods only (bathroom tile, tub and fixtures not so much), overall the room was nice. I would have preferred a room on the 2nd floor with easier access to the pool and fitness center. Fitness center dated but adequate, outdoor pool area very nice but hard loungers. Not wanting to venture out alone I opted to dine in the hotel restaurant, and while service was poor (I was the only person dining for the majority of my dinner) my meal was quite good (Peruvian Mahi Mahi) and was well presented with a Peruvian marinated salad and rice. Dessert nice, lemon cello cake, no presentation - dumped on plate. As another poster mentioned, housekeeping needs a staff meeting, my room had some breakdowns (finger prints all over closet mirror doors, dirty footprints in bathroom, like housekeeper mopped then walked back in and tracked up the floor, etc. Then while dining I could not help notice plant stand near my booth, it was obvious housekeeping never moved the planter and only wiped around, see photo. Overall this is a solid property with a few issues. I would stay again if in the downtown area.

Room Tip: If you think we will use the room and fitness center ask for 2nd floor, otherwise the view is on the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo