“Pleasantly surprised” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Las Vegas, NV
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2009

I was very pleased with this hotel. I was initally concerned because the building is in the old part of town and the building is very old too, but the hotel has been recently renovated and was beautiful. The restaurant inside the hotel (Lunchbag) was awesome. The menu was fresh and very different and the food was superb.

The hotel was clean, well decorated and quiet - eventhough there was a "Little Miss" Pagent going on while we were there.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
SoBoVa.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

Check in was friendly and fast. Parking is in a parking garage beside the hotel. Our room was clean and had some updating however the tub was slow to drain. If you are staying here for a quiet romantic getaway then this is not your hotel. If you like to let your hair down and have a drink and party this is your hotel. There was a lot of excessive noise good thing the new comfortable bed put me to sleep. The resturant is good and reasonable they had a special short ribs, five cheese mac n cheese and tender greenbeans for $12. WOW! All and all for the price this hotel is a good stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Waxhaw, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

I stayed one night for a trip to Lynchburg for a family emergency. I didn't spend much time at the hotel. We arrived around 10:30 pm and were greeted by a very friendly staff. The check-in process went smoothly.

This was my first time in a Holiday Inn Select and frankly, I didn't have high expectations. I selected this hotel because I got a good corporate rate for Lynchburg area, the hotel was conveniently located for me and I'm a member of Priority Club.

The room reminded me of a typical old Holiday Inn room - - tired and worn. However, it was clean. The bed was comfortable and I slept well. The a/c was noiser then more upscale brands but wasn't bad. I suspect soundproofing wasn't that great and without the a/c noise, other noises would have been more problematic. I wasn't able to connect to the free internet. I think the port was dead. I didn't try to get it fixed because I only planned to stay overnight and it was late. The tub didn't drain. There was a coffee pot and iron. Both worked fine. The TV worked fine and has a full array of cable channels to pick from.

Several reviews mentioned the friendliness of the staff. I will emphasize that as well. In fact, my mother returned a couple of days later to attend a family funeral and when the staff found out why she was there, they changed her rate to a much lower bereavement rate without prompting. That kind of service earns loyalty points for me and makes it easier to overlook some of the shortcomings.

The hotel could certainly use a refresh. I don't travel to Lynchburg often so I don't know what other options are available. I would probably stay there again especially if they renovate.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

The staff at this hotel are incredibly and genuinely friendly, responsive, polite and gracious. Truly hospitable. The rooms, well, not comfortable. In fact, were it not for the staff, I would have only given 2 stars. The A/C is very noisy and ineffective. Only two settings: freezing, and hair-soaked sweating.-wake-up-gasping-for-breath. The windows do not open. The sink is in the bathroom, making it difficult to share, especially when getting ready for a wedding. I would probably go somewhere else the next time. There is only one quasi-comfortable. Not a room for "taking your ease," simply a place to try to sleep.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2009

I just checked out after staying less than an hour. I've never been so happy to get to a hotel as I was when I checked in at the Courtyard. Nice people, lousy hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Baltimore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

Counter staff were nice but there were only two floors that they were using for guests, the 3rd and 7th floors. They are supposedly renovating the others. Only one elevator was working out of the two.
Our inital room assignment had a problem with the Heat/AC unit, a loud noise at any speed. Instead of just giving us another room they sent a repairman. He came up and said that he couldn't fix it .(It seemed as though he knew this was broken before he came in the room and had given this speech before. )

They then did give us another room, the next room was a "little" better but that unit also made the same sort of noise, just a little quieter. The rest of the room looked worn but at least the sheets were clean and fresh. The ice machine on that floor was also broken.

I think that more is broken at this hotel than works.
This hotel was nice a LONG time ago and may be nice at some point in time from now, just not now.
BEWARE

• Liked — Location: In town
  • Disliked — A lot !
  • Stayed February 2009
      Check-in / front desk
Harrisburg, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2008

Well, let me just say, this hotel was clean and the staff was SO nice. The negatives were just little things...like no refrigerators in the rooms, few TV channels, ice machines that didn't work (2nd and 3rd floors). As we were visiting my daughter at college, we weren't around much and so these were not a big deal. But if you are going for a get-away I wouldn't go here. There were signs that said they are going to be remodeling, so maybe once that occurs it will be at the level it should be. I, too, thought it was a little overpriced for what you got. But I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, because it was clean and the staff was so friendly.

• Liked — The Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Not having a Fridge
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family