“Just ok”
Review of Kirkley Hotel

Kirkley Hotel
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Lynchburg
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I was in the basement, which smelled dingy and I could hear AC units cutting on and off. Lots of mirrors in the room= great. Dining room closed at 8:30pm= way too early (and not open Mondays). Service for breakfast was consistently slow. Not enough equipment in gym- had to leave twice because treadmills were full. Wi-fi was very slow. Nice perks for Liberty students.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Anne C

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed at the Kirkley for 5 nights while taking a class at LU. The room was very nice - nice beds. Had a microwave and small refridg. which was great because we were able to keep some foods to eat in the room rather than eating out the whole week. Room was cleaned on time every day. Didn't try the restaurant. If you're staying for an LU intensive make sure to ask for the student rate because then you'll get the free breakfast. I didn't ask for that since I booked on booking.com and wasn't able to get the breakfast. They have an indoor pool but no hot tub. I didn't try the pool but heard from that it was nice. Also have a nice outdoor patio area just outside the pool area. Had a problem with the toilet one evening and they came immediately and fixed it. So that was great service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Colby was friendly when he picked me up from the airport.Everyone was so helpful when I entered the front door. I came here for a class and I did not need any stress. Lisa (front desk) made sure I had a room on the top floor with a smile. The staff was so helpful and nice.Greg (front desk) was the best when he took charge to help me with my car rental with a smile on his face. Lakia (front desk) always had a smile on her face and willing to assist. Niki (restaurant) extremely friendly when she greeted me. I will recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Lynchburg.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Came to Lynchburg for a wedding reception and happened to find a deal on-line for this hotel...worth every penny! stayed in a king size room, was extremely well kept, bed was so comfortable and clean. bathroom was spotless, even had the towels tied with a satin ribbon. Was even able to get an early check in, we called about an hour or so out and they had a room for us.
The 2nd day, we returned after decorating for the wedding and no towels were in the room. I called the front desk and within 5 minutes they had a fresh stack of warm towels to me! Front desk was great, and so friendly! Spoke every time we went in and out and always were positive. Good location as well. Close to a lot of shopping and restaurants. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We checked in at 6:30 pm. They did not have rooms ready. They called around and finally found one. We had unpacked and been to the pool and were settled. We came back to the room and realized the air conditioner was leaking. We called and they said they would move us. The maintenance man came and checked it and said he had to go get a part. They put us in the room next door. That room had not been set up completely. It only had one set of towels (bath, hand and washcloth). I called for more towels since I had 4 people. They said they would send them. Housekeeping brought one more set. They said they would bring more. After an hour, I went to the front desk where I was told I had more than enough towels. They said I had towels from the the room I had moved from. I did not take the towels. I had used some in that room - and left them - having gone to the pool. Also, when the maintenance guy left the room, he left the door open- he did not have the key. I assume he had to leave the building to get the part for the a/c - I assume he did not have have it in his office. I have no idea how long the room was left open. We did not check. The clerk at the desk was extremely rude. I asked to see the manager. The manager on duty was very apologetic and gave me the towels. He apologized for the way the clerk talked to me. Because of the attitude, and the loudness of the hotel - doors were banging all night and people were talking loudly in the hall, we decided to move to another hotel for the next night. We stayed at a much more enjoyable hotel in L'burg. We come to L'burg regularly and have never had trouble like this before. When I checked out, nothing was said, I was not even asked about my stay. I guess they knew. I then get a bill from Kirkley saying they are billing me $200 for the towels in the other room, that was left unattended and open. I tried to speak to the operations manager and he said he didn't care, he knows the towels were not in the room as they should have been. I told him the manager that night apologized and gave me towels and they were left in the 2nd room that I had moved into. He said he didn't care. He wasn't going to investigate further, even knowing that room was open and no one was in it for a while, and the manager the night before apologized. I am fighting the charge, as I am not responsible for poor practices at their hotel. The manager who spoke with me would not give me the name of the manager who apologized that night and said he would not let me talk to him. He said he made his decision. Well, I have made my decision also, I am never staying at this hotel again - and I am most certainly not paying for towels I do not have. Very poor service. Have stayed at other hotels in L'burg and other places and have never ever had this problem. Usually when they have to move you from one room to another due a problem with their room, they apologize. Not this time!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank SuzanB2014
PeteTrip, Owner at Kirkley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

I'm the Owner of the Kirkley Hotel,

I regret to say that we do not agree with this guest’s characterization of these events and the attempt to discredit us on social media is not a surprise to us.

We work extremely hard to provide very-high-quality amenities for the price paid. We take great pride in our work and strive to maintain an exceptional guest experience.

We love our clients and would never do anything to diminish our standing with them.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. There is still renovations going on, but I was happy with room size and décor. The window view left much to be desired (horrible view of parking lot). I plan on staying there again because it's updated and the décor/size of room is to die for. All the other hotels near, charge way more for less (décor/class/amenities).

I can't wait to enjoy my free breakfast while using tripadvisor. Thanks

Room Tip: Best buy for the money in Lynchburg, don't bother looking at the others. They are either old/no...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2014

we went here for a family get together and we greeted promptly and with a smile. The rooms are well decorated and clean. the lines were top quality and the request for foam pillows were delivered as requested. This place is very well maintained. The breakfast buffet was better than average. The toaster was inadequate in the performance of toasting bagels. The ordered food came out as ordered and hot. The service was very good. The pool looked nice but we did not have time to use it. Check out was easy. Highly recommend the hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family