“High quality hotel”
Review of Kirkley Hotel

Kirkley Hotel
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Reviewed 2 September 2014

This hotel is well worth visiting because it does indeed have a little edge. It is independently owned, and the owners are determined to make it a leader.

The rooms are spacious, well-appointed and quiet. The staff were friendly and efficient. The large breakfast and dining area was being updated when we were there, and will probably be very appealing when it is finished. Wi-fi worked well and the fitness center was good.

It is in the newer part of the city (near Liberty University) so it was a short drive to the old city attractions. The upside was that parking was easy and there were a range of restaurants in the vicinity.

3  Thank SanMarco2

Reviewed 31 August 2014

this is one of the cleanest hotels I have stayed in . The waitress we had in restaurant was top notch and tone of the best I have ever had any where .She was very personal. The chef even came out and talked to us . Pizza was very good .I would come back and stay anytime in the area

Room Tip: Any room you choose would be great !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rodney S
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Discovered the Kirkley via an online discount travel website and booked a three night stay property unseen. Not only did I get a great rate, but I also found the hotel to be very convenient to many of the local attractions in the area, to host what looks to be a very nice food/lounge area (once completed); and host a well-cared for pool and fitness area, a nicely designed/furnished room, and extremely personable and professional staff. What a great experience while dropping of my first semester, freshmen student at college. Definitely my first choice hotel the next time I am in Lynchburg.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel are quieter.
1  Thank JHTraveler64
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We normally stay at a very nice, boutique hotel in downtown Lynchburg, but it was all booked; so we gave the Kirkley a shot. When you walk in, you see construction immediately & the deluxe & hip looking finishes are visible. The lobby will be stunning when complete - The pool/patio just off the lobby look lovely. Overall, this passes as a nice hotel, but just barely. We stayed on the 5th floor & there is no air conditioning in the hallways. The room was nicely furnished and fairly large, but the bathroom was small & dated; and there was an overall "damp" feel to everything, including the sheets. The air conditioning in the room works well if it is cranked up and the bathroom door is shut. The continental breakfast buffet was a bit scary, and very "Hampton Inn-ish". The booths in the restaurant had huge rips with stuffing coming out. At 8:00 a.m., the restaurant was completely empty, with 5 or 6 servers roaming around & all occasionally checking on us. Not quite sure why one of them didn't deal with the gnats flying around the fruit & jam on the buffet ? I see huge potential here, but an upgrade of the heating cooling system, and better staff training might help (I got no clear explanation when asking about the hot hallways). They will be a top hotel, at least by their lobbies appearance, once construction is completed - hoping they take on the mentality of a top hotel at the same time.

Room Tip: Since heat rises, I'd ask for a room on one of the lower floors - The hall in the lower lobby gu...
1  Thank Tina B
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed for two nights while delivering our new Liberty University freshman student daughter to school. Seems we were not alone!

The Kirkley is super convenient - maybe only 2 or 3 hotels are closer - and then only by 1/4 mile. Fromt he outside the building clearly seems to have been either an office building or light manufacturing building of some type. The back of the building seems to confirm as there's a loading dock on a far corner that looks like it belongs on a warehouse or something. But it's been dressed up and a nice front entrance has been added. The lobby is lovely - small - but it does the job. They're in the midst of construction of a new restaurant / buffet area that is going to be deluxe from what can be seen now. They have an indoor pool right off the lobby - in fact you have to pass the window which looks into the pool as you go to the elevators. (For that reason I didn't use the pool.)

When we arrive there were a number of other families arriving at the same time. But they seemed to have staffed appropriately and we waited only a minute or two to be helped. Our room was on the 4th floor over looking the back parking lot. The rooms are large - very roomy. We had two double beds - which would have been nice had they been queen size - but it was fine. When we booked the room and recieved the confirmation we were told we had a king size bed with a sofa couch. It was fine that we had the two double beds - I bunked with my daughter (for the last time for a while) - but I could see that for some travelers that could have presented a problem.

When we arrived there was a single red rose in a vase, next to a small dish of amazing chocolate truffles, with a personalized welcome note on the desk. The desk lamp was piointed at the rose and in a dark room it made for a dramatic touch - and gave us a special feeling.

The beds were comfortable, the thermostat and A/C worked wonderfully. The rooms was well appointed and had easy to find information - TV channel listing and remote were together (makes so much sense). Apparently the rooms can be different from one another as we didn't have a sink outside our bathroom. The small mircrowave and fridge were in the closet behind mirrored bi-fold doors. They had three nice big fluffly bath towles and two small handtowels. There were three of us and two handtowels and two washcloths. I don't use a wash cloth so it was OK - but kind of odd to have three large towels but only two of the others - particularly as my daughter and I both have long-ish hair to dry after a shower. The counter is granite and they have liquid soap and handcream in dispensers that is SOOOO much better than those dopey little hotel soap bars. The shower head is one of those big rain style showerheads - which I didn't mind - but my husband had a hart time with. In fact while he was trying to move it into the position he wanted he snapped the shower head right off! Oh my. I had read a review here that a lady was charged for towels so I was a little nervous. No worries though. My husband told them at the front desk on our way out that morning and by the time we returned around 1:00 it was fixed and the room was made up!

There is a restaurant and a breakfast buffet (not free) that we didn't use - but it's so nice to have the option. There are "basement" rooms - the back of the building is on a lower grade so if they're on the outside wall they would have windows and be ground level - but I would expect the rates would be lower for these? The parking int he front fills up quickly and both evenings after 9:00 we had to parkind around the back of the building. There is plenty of light. The only problem we encountered is getting inside from the back door. Ther first night other people were leaving so they opened the door for us. But the second night I came back to the hotel by myself and there was no apparant way to get in with my keycard. There was a keypad but I didn't have any code. A young couple and another man arrived just after me and they had a small peice of paper with the code they were given when they checked in. I wasn't given that code. It would have been inconvenient for me to drive back around the front to find out why I wasn't able to get in the door. In addiiton, the young lady who tried the first few times was not able to work the door. The older man also had to try a few times and with some strong hand muscles was able to get the bolt to turn after entering the code. I'm not sure I would have been successful. My suggestion to the hotel is to upgrade the back door entrance to accept the keycards.

There are some older reiviews here that are less than good - but we didn't see any of that in our stay. Everything was in very good shape.

The hotel management photos are very accurate.

When all was said and done we like this hotel best of the three we've stayed at in the area. And we like the other two as well - this one is just a little more personal and the rooms are a little bigger. This is where we will be staying when we visit in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My wife and I only spent one night here but were extremely happy with the quality and service we received. Even though this property is under a clearly total renovation, all public areas we were able to see, as well as our room looked like new. No signs of construction that I could see. We did not use the pool, gym or restaurant, but they were very appealing.
Staff was extremely friendly, and did not hesitate when asked for 5 additional pillows for our room. Other hotels almost always have a problem with the extra pillows. Room was fresh and bed was a dream. Best in room coffee I have ever had. Bath towels were the best I have ever had in all my years of travel. Will definitely stay here next time I'm in Lynchburg to drop off or pick up my daughter from school.

Room Tip: Our room faced a major highway, but was very quiet. If I hadn't looked out the window, I would h...
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is the second hotel we tried in town. Liked it. Good front desk staff, clean room, all the basics covered. The building looks old on the outside, but they make up for it with the renovations inside. Easy to get to, but parking can get limited at night. Will be back. Thanks!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family