“Insufferable - we walked out before ordering”
Review of Main Street

Main Street
Ranked #21 of 319 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 November 2013

First of all, let me just say that I have never written a review for any establishment. But, our experience was so bad I owe it to the world to share..

After a long day of presenting at a conference, my wife and I returned to our hotel, changed out of our dress clothes, threw on my favorite ball cap, and went on an incredible drive through the Blue Ridge Parkway. On our way back, it hit us that we were really hungry. My wife had found this spot via her Gluten Free app because she is gluten intolerant. We decided to check out Main St. Eatery because it was downtown and we are the sort that we like to check out the downtown dining scene when we travel for work. We went in and were greeted by a pretentiously rude woman. I was keenly aware that we just walked into an establish that didn't favor late twenty somethings. We were told there was only room at the bar, me assuming this was a reservations only sort of place which is absolutely understandable, only later to see a Facebook post from the evening before encouraging people to just come in without a reservation.

We obliged. We were hungry, so I could deal with a little pretentious behavior. Although, I didn't expect it from a restaurant with "Eatery" in the title and located in the small, nearly desolate, downtown Lynchburg.

We sat at the bar and began to explore the menu, which looked great, and I ordered their Oktoberfest beer on draft. By this point, the only redeeming quality of the restaurant was the bartender. He was courteous and helpful in explaining the menu options available.

Due to my wife being gluten intolerant we are required to ask specifically about certain menu items to ensure that they don't include any flour or other ingredients that possess gluten. When the bartender asked the pretentious woman we first encountered if a certain sauce was gluten free, she replied that it only had flour and water, so yes it was gluten-free. Now, I don't want to insult the readers intelligence, but flour most certainly does include gluten. I would expect a good restaurant would ensure their staff would understand the possible health risks if someone consumed gluten. Some of those risks include inducing asthma attacks. By this point I was pretty upset because we have seen restaurants go out of their way to make sure my wife's food is prepared in a safe manner. She often feels bad for asking people to do so, but she knows she has to.

After we began to felt discouraged about our dining choice, the bartender was told by the same pretentious woman to ask me to remove my hat. I know they are striving for a quality atmosphere, but humiliating your guest that is about to spend their money on your food is not the best way to go about it. I have been in many restaurants that require reservations and attract a certain class, but I have never been treated this way in any restaurant in my entire life.

Fed up, I paid for my beer and left. I truly do wish I could have tried their food, but I can say with absolute certainty that I will never walk through their door again. Additionally, I will be sure to share this experience with everyone we know and on other review sites. There are other options in Lynchburg and you can be sure next time I am in town I will avoid this place at all costs.

3  Thank jbailey1123
There are newer reviews for Main Street

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Run by a first generation german family, this bistro offers american and german food. We enjoyed their german sausage dishes, and "german-style" cakes from a dessert trolley. There is a good ambiance and the staff are attentive; the owner/chef came out to check everyone was happy. The dishes accommodate gluten-free diets - not so easy to find lactose-free. The german house red and oktoberfest beer are excellent.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We enjoyed the Octoberfest specials prepared by a Swiss chef. Everything was authentic and delicious. I took a turn for the wurst and had a sausage combo. The sauerkraut and German potato salad were wonderful. The sauerbraten was just right. The only German red wine was somewhat sweet. The service was good, but the food took a long time in coming. I highly recommend this place, but might choose a slower night.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Visit 1. Dropping off Junior at college in August.Veal Oscar is terrific. Great service Three happy
campers.

Visit 2. Parents Weekend. Service virtually non-existent. I think the Veal Oscar was left over from
our last visit. Interestingly, we were told that they had run out of scallops for the
appetizer for our 6pm reservation,but were still featuring Seared Scallops as a dinner
entree. Lost us to the competition.

1  Thank jetsdriver
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The owners are from Austria and they have an additional Oktoberfest menu to compliment the standard menu. We had Spaten Oktoberfest on tap which was outstanding. The potato pancake appetizer brought back memories of when my Mom used to make this recipe (though my Mom usually would make them thinner and more crispy). The wife and I each ordered different schnitzels --- excellent! The spatzle was fried and was browned (unique). The red cabbage was the best I have ever had, though I had to order it ala carte. The apple strudel was as good as Mom's.

Interior was pleasant and not too loud. Not much of a view. There are some small tables outside on the sidewalk, but I don't know why you would want to sit out there. Prices were reasonable, though I thought that the red cabbage should have been part of the meal (what is it with Germans that they don't like to serve vegetables with dinner?). Service was excellent.