“Lovingly and Tastefully Crafted Indian Food”
Review of Hot and Cold Cafe

Hot and Cold Cafe
Ranked #16 of 322 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Cuisines: Indian, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet
Description: Lynchburg's Premiere Indian-Mediterranean Fusion Restaurant. Taste homemade Indian and Lebanese food. Try our lunch buffet Monday through Friday. Many Vegetarian dishes. Menu includes Gyros, Hummus, Tabouli, Falafel, Baklava, Chicken Tikka Masala,Homemade Parathas, Biryani, Chai, Mango Lassi and the best Kheer (rice pudding).
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Although this is a Mediterranean and Indian fusion restaurant (both cuisines are served) I decided to focus on the Indian food although I was sorely tempted by the Mediterranean items. The dal soup was a great beginning, made (obviously) from fresh ingredients and subtly and wonderfully seasoned. The owner, who was also the server, was very solicitous about the spiciness of all of the dishes, checking to be sure they weren't too spicy, if I wanted them to be more spicy, etc. The entree that I chose was the buttered chicken, something I had never had before. The owner explained that he got hormone-free chicken special from Georgia and was yet another indication of the effort that he put into preparing special dishes. I loved the buttered chicken, very subtly flavored, not too spicy. A personal preference of mine is chicken dishes with chicken cut small and this definitely fit the bill! I would highly recommend the buttered chicken.

For dessert, I chose the Kulfi (an Indian ice cream with pistachios, walnuts, and cashews) and two of the three versions of the baklava. Everything on the dessert menu other than the vanilla ice cream was made by the owner. He was very proud of his Kulfi, the recipe for which he worked on over a couple months, and rightfully so, it was delicious! It was the perfect complement to my meal.

I'm saving the baklava for later, so I can't comment on the taste but they look lovely and not merely honey-covered phyllo dough :-)

The restaurant itself did not have a large dining area so be prepared for that.

Be sure to take time to chat with the owner, he puts a lot of himself into his food and he spent a lot of time ensuring that I was happy with all of my choices.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

I travel quite a bit between Richmond and Lynchburg and recently tried Hot & Cold Cafe for the first time. I was very pleased with the selection on the lunch buffet and it was delicious. The service was excellent and the staff was very friendly......I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 13 September 2011

Uday Mukherjee runs a very nice restaurant! Went there for dinner and had a great meal! Mr Murkherjee is a very nice man and is a very good chef! I was not one bit disappointed with my meal! I will be making this a regular stop when I'm in Lynchburg, Virginia!!!

Reviewed 6 November 2010

I've been to this restaurant several times for the lunch buffet and I've enjoyed each time. It is a small buffet so there is not a lot of foods to try. There are usually only around six items and then some fruits, salads and sweets. It is so nice to find Indian food in downtown Lynchburg. The owner is very nice. It's a very small restaurant so not great for a large group but I love it all the same. I will continue to return.

1  Thank Mater2006
Reviewed 17 May 2010

The Hot and Cold Cafe serves up Indian and "Mediterranean" food. We ordered "Gyros" which were just lamb tidbits sliced up.

Since the lunch gyro platters were $13, I was VERY disappointed in the amount of meat., it must have been 3 ounces. And just because the meat is lamb, does NOT make it gyro meat (which is slow roasted on a spit). When asked if we would like it spicy, we said "sure" and it came covered in Tabasco sauce. That said, for lamb tidbits, it had great texture and was well-cooked.

For $13 bucks a plate, to be served so little lamb on styrofoam plates was a problem. My husband got baklava, which seemed to me a tiny tiny portion. Our plates were served with sliced banana peppers and a small sliver of a pickle (smaller than my pinky finger). We were offered endless pita bread and chips but this does not make up for the small amount of the actual food. It seems clear that the owner/staff tries to fill up the stomachs of his customers with condiments, bread and chips.

We ordered the mango pudding and kheer rice pudding afterwards which were both excellent and the portion sizes were good. The service was also excellent. My husband loved the baklava and said it seemed fresh, light and airy.

I really wish I had ordered the Indian food, because I think I would have had a better experience.

1  Thank RebeccaRaven