2 of 5 bubbles Review of Porter House Restaurant - CLOSED

Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lynchburg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

In the past we were always very pleased with our dinners at the Porter House restaurant but this time both the service and food were way below par. In order to be seated quickly we agreed to have dinner in the lounge which was a big mistake as we were neglected by the male servers and had to ask several times for a server to come to our table. Additionally it was very cold in the lounge area. The special that night was roast duck which was terrible. The slices of duck were not only tough but also loaded with thick layers of fat and on top of that the gravy covering the duck slices left a long lasting unpleasant taste. Fortunately my companion opted for the filet mignon instead of the special and was satisfied with the choice.
We were so disappointed with the service as well as the quality of the meal that we skipped our usual tradition of ending the evening with coffee and dessert. We always looked forward to going to Porter House even though it is more expensive than other area restaurants but because of this experience it will be a long time before we go to Porter House again and if we do go again we will avoid the lounge area.

1 Thank tripjbm

Richmond, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thanksgiving Buffet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

My family and I attended the buffet for Thanksgiving and couldn't have been more pleased. A wonderful assortment and variety of salads and food and desserts. Their buffet consisted of turkey and dressing, baked chicken, carved beef, roast pork, stuffed fish and baked fish, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, brocolli, succotash, and an assortment of desserts. Between my family and I, we had alittle bit of everything and thought the cost was quite reasonable considering all that we consumed. We had quite an enjoyable experience and hope that The Porterhouse will be open for Thanksgivings to come.

1 Thank Theresa G
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Awful. Simply Awful.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

This is supposed to be one of the better restaurants in the city of a lively restaurant scene, but on this Thanksgiving, it was hardly that.

We went for a rather pricey, special Thanksgiving meal. It was barely edible. Chicken, pork and turkey swimming in fat and fluids. Beef like shoe leather. Fish nauseatingly undercooked. Desserts mass produced and tasteless. Service indifferent. It was awful. Simply awful.

The day after Thanksgiving, in desperation for a holiday meal, we bought a rotisserie turkey breast, canned gravy and cranberry sauce, instant stuffing, glazed carrots and baked sweet potatoes, and it was multiple times better than the stuff that Sachikos Porterhouse Restaurant put in front of us on Thanksgiving day. Never again. Never, ever again.

3 Thank rickroadfood
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

I highly recommend this restaurant. My wife and I went there for dinner and were seated at a table directly in front of the fireplace. It was very romantic! The overall ambiance is very inviting and relaxing and staff are very friendly and professional.

I'll make this brief because I'm not much for words. The food was impeccable! I ordered the prime rib and my wife got the ribeye. Both were excellent cuts cooked perfectly. It's funny but after going to Outback a few times, I kind of forgot what a good juicy steak was like. Ours were both big and juicy! Loved it! Sides were good too.

It's funny because I've caught myself remembering how good my meal was and I hardly ever sit there and reminisce about a meal I've had. I think the perfect romantic atmosphere along with the great food just made it a perfect memory. I can't wait to return!

Mountain Park, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

The crab and lobster bisque was bland with little flavor of either shellfish. The schnitzels seemed to be a specialty so my husband and I both ordered the paprika schnitzel. Not much paprika flavor to it. One slice of pork had gristle I had to cut around. The spaetzle was very good, though. The pickled veggies in the salad were also good. My husband's soft-shell crab was a much better choice of appetizer. Our server did the best he could considering the number of tables he was working, in more than one room. Speaking of which, the front dining room with wood paneling, fireplace and bar was attractive. The other rooms could use a facelift.

Visited September 2012