“An Experience Worth Treasuring” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Lynchburg B&B and Inns
Virginia
“An Experience Worth Treasuring”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2011

This was the perfect place for our small business meeting. But more important it was the right place for an over night stay. A beautifully restored home, elegant and spacious. Our hosts were more than welcoming and gracious, They went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and that our every need was met.

If you want to experience what grandeur was like decades ago, this is the place to do so. You certainly can't find this kind of atmosphere and accommodations in a hotel. This was an experience worth treasuring.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

We enjoyed a wonderful, relaxing pre-Valentine’s getaway at The Carriage House Inn, and will be back! As we are in law enforcement and nursing our schedules are oftentimes crazy and subject to last minute change. We scheduled a 3-day getaway to take advantage of one of the February packages offered at The Carriage House Inn, our “Total Eclipse of the Heart” was even more wonderful than we anticipated.
From the welcoming greeting, by Mike and Kathy, with wine and appetizers, to the delicious 3-course champagne breakfast each morning, to the expected but beautiful roses, yummy chocolates, chilled Prosecco and wine & cheese ( on a slumped wine bottle tray that Kathy made (she has time for hobbies?), to the delectable downtown dining experience we were hooked! Add to that 2 massages in the new on-site massage and body works studio and you almost don’t have to leave the property, but we did.

We learned about Lynchburg’s history at their museum and Point of Honor. We traveled to a nearby winery for a tasting. We took the time to enjoy a first run movie with popcorn, something we never take the time to do at home.

The mansion has been so meticulously restored and the carriage house renovated into sumptuous suites and an event center that it almost was like staying in Lynchburg 130 years ago, but with today’s comforts such as WiFi, air conditioning, IPod docking stations, comfortable beds in very spacious rooms, room amenities and cozy robes, and anything else you can think to ask for that Kathy & Mike will try to make happen.
As we both have birthdays and an anniversary we plan on making The Carriage House Inn B & B our “go to” getaway in the future. As we said before, we will be back!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

Hard to know where to begin when every detail was perfect. I stayed here for a business meeting that was held in the on-site meeting center. So, we experienced the Inn as overnight guests and also as business travelers. The only thing we missed was the opportunity to enjoy the spa center.

Kathy and Mike are like angels. They seem to know what you want before you realize it yourself. Your water glass is magically filled, your coffee cup always at the top. They even know that no business meeting can truly succeed without homemade cookies in the afternoon (this is true). They manage to do everything unobtrusively, while still sharing their delight senses of humor. No problem plugging in your computer. There is an outlet behind every participant's chair. A full service kitchen makes meal service for your meeting an easy thing...no more finding a restaurant or bringing in boxed lunches. This makes it possible for the group to work or just visit together throughout lunch, breakfast, or whatever. Saves time and makes for a nice team building experience. The large flat screen tv mounted on the wall facilitates your slide show/powerpoint or sharing other documents. The lovely former carriage house has everything you need. Even a handicapped accessible rest room and ramps for wheelchair accessibility throughout the meeting space.

We were so lucky also to stay in one of the beautiful guest rooms in the Carriage House. Although, all the rooms in the main house are just lovely and any one would have been wonderful, I am sure. The sheets made me feel like I was sleeping in the middle of a marshmallow. The mattress was firm enough while being soft enough. The blankets were very high quality and I even loved the pillows. No need to use my own...and I know lots of people do need to bring their own for a good night's sleep. Not necessary here. Anything you would want is anticipated and already provided. The furniture is accurate to the period and gorgeous.

Every inch of this place is meticulously clean. Even though the property is steeped in interesting history, it is fully modern in every service and amenity.

You will want to ask Mike to give you a tour and to tell you about the details of the building and the local history. Very interesting. He should charge extra for this. It would be worth it.

I would also like to mention that I have owned a bed and breakfast for 8 years and you cannot get better than the Carriage House Inn. They are simply the best of the best.

Danville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

Friendly innkeepers; great for history lovers; love hearing the stories about the house's restoration; close to downtown restaurants and other historic neighborhoods

Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2010

I live and work in Lynchburg so when my son gave me a gift certificate for a stay at the Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast in Lynchburg I thought I would never use it, but I’m glad I did. The mansion is just a couple blocks from downtown yet I never knew the neighborhood was there. It is probably the most impressive home (from the outside) in the community and when entering the home’s grand foyer I was amazed. Every time I turned around I found myself staring at some interesting wood work, mantel, fireplace, bathtub or light fixture from the late 1800’s. To say the owner’s did a wonderful job of restoring the old mansion would be an understatement.

After dinner in a wonderful downtown restaurant I returned for the evening and found chocolates on my pillow and a turned down bed. What a classy touch. The history of the owners, the house and neighborhood that Kathy and Mike shared with me was very interesting and that evening while lying in bed I thought about what life would have been like back then. I don’t sleep well at night and when in a strange place I usually toss and turn all night long but to my surprise I slept better than I had in years. The next morning I wandered down for breakfast. There were four courses!!!! I doubt that the very rich eat as well as I did that morning and the presentation was so nice I really didn’t want to eat it.

This was my first experience in a bed and breakfast and I certainly would not have chosen to stay in a place less than three miles from where I live, but I can honestly say that it didn’t feel like I was in Lynchburg rather that I was swept away to one of those fairytale places you can only imagine. This was by far the best experience I have ever had away from home. If you are visiting the area this is the place you need to stay and if you already live here you really need to find an excuse to spend a night at the Carriage House Inn B and B.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

We stayed one night in the Carriage House Inn. The innkeepers Kathy and Mike were very nice and we spent an hour after breakfast (pumpkin waffles, yum!) together talking. The house is just gorgeous from the grande interieur to the charming porch. Kathy and Mike are doing most of the restaurations themselves. Service was great, thank you!!!

Sorry, one negative point: The location is a little weird as the street seems like a quite run down area, but it is hard to tell since we only stayed one night... It seems like Lynchburg has done a lot though to improve the situation in this town area, so you should not let this keep you from staying there as the house itself is one of the nicest I have ever stayed in. Just do not plan to walk to the city and back although it is quite close. It does not seem safe, I'd say.

Some advice for Lynchburg: The town seems to be at carination point, some areas are already gorgeous, some others are not and these areas are very close to each other, so do not let yourself be put off by the closed establishments on Main St, for example - great places can be found just next door! We had dinner at the Depot Grille (BEST ribs ever) and also tried out dish (small wine/tapas bar right on Main St), which was sooo good!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2010

As an executive for an international company I travel extensively and often stay in the “best” hotels in the world. A couple of weeks ago I had an opportunity to travel to Lynchburg, Virginia. Fortunately for me, my secretary was unable to find a five star hotel so she booked me into a suite at the Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast. Everything was perfect. The room was oversized, the sheets were better than those at the Ritz (my opinion) and Kathy and Michael take breakfast to a level I have not seen before. The property was amazing.

I have stayed in great hotels in the past but have never felt the need to write a review but what made this trip different was the enthusiasm of the owners to make my stay memorable. They had everything I needed to hold a business meeting, and went out of their way to make sure no detail was overlooked. My advice to them was to double their rates as many people expect what they pay for, but here I got even more than I anticipated. I can recommend anyone traveling on business or pleasure to book a stay at the Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast for world class service and a stay in a wonderful historic mansion.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business