“Friendly and Charming B&B”
Review of Ebenezer House B&B

Ebenezer House B&B
Ranked #1 of 2 Madison B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Friendly and Charming B&B”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This was my first time to stay at a B&B and we could not have picked a better place. We decided to make a weekend trip to take in some of the sites and wineries in the area and get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. From the moment we arrived Doris and Alan were warm and welcoming to us – greeting us and helping us plan out our activities. Doris went above and beyond by providing us with tickets for some attractions and wineries as well as giving us recommendations as to where we could grab dinner.

The house has a historic charm, and is centrally located off the main road, but is tucked back in the trees giving it the privacy and serenity that you are looking for during your weekend escape. Although it was snowy during my visit, I still enjoyed the outdoor space and can only imagine how enjoyable the porches would be during the spring and summer.
The house was warm and inviting with character around every corner. I especially loved seeing all the antiques in the house and the exploring the loft areas that are a creative us of space. The rooms were comfortable and the beds were great – making for a restful night sleep.

Doris and Alan were very accommodating to us and even provided us with wine and cheese during our stay which was a nice touch and a great way to unwind from a busy day of sightseeing. Also, do not sleep in and miss breakfast as the granola is delicious and shouldn’t be missed.

I highly recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a nice escape from the city but still wants that warm and friendly feeling of home. I look forward to visiting again in the spring.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amber H
Alan W, Owner at Ebenezer House B&B, responded to this review, 21 November 2015
Thank you Amber, sorry it took me so long to reply to your wonderful review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay, we enjoyed hosting it. Next time you want to get away remember returning guest get a 10% discount on their next stay.
Alan Webb

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Ebenezer Bed and Breakfast is a great place to stay while visiting the greater Charlottesville area. The B&B is filled with charm and character from days gone by, and hard to find substance in today’s chaotic world. It gives you time to enjoy people and company, have great conversation, and relax. Ms. Doris, the innkeeper, is very hospitable and opens her home to customers to enjoy the area in which she calls home. There are tremendous array of activities within reasonable distance of the bed and breakfast, from historic sites, wineries, and Shenandoah National Forest, there is always something to see and keep you busy while on your trip. If your need help, Ms. Doris will keep you promptly informed of activities and sites to see, maybe offer discounts and coupons to local attractions going on during your stay. If you like the feel of home, The Bed and Breakfast will suit you fine. The Breakfast is delicious, especially the granola. It is so good that I’ve been trying many different recipes to get a granola that taste that good. Awesome granola! Her son, Mr. Alan also assist running the end, and is very prompt to give service. He let us meet his bird, who was also very polite and friendly. Another enjoyable aspect of The Ebenezer Bed and Breakfast are the porches. There are two main porches, one on the lower level and one on the second level. If you like being outside, cooking out, maybe having a beer or glass of wine, enjoying the company you have, the porches will accommodate your needs. It had snowed before my stay, so I enjoyed the porches by star gazing the open sky and having a couple beers. The Ebenezer House reminded me of a simplistic and humble abode, where you can relax and really enjoy the company of others. There is plenty of space inside to play games, sit, listen to music, and the inn could also be very formal if need be. It is a place to unwind from hectic life and bring you back to prospective. It is in a rural area, and reminded me of visiting my grandma’s farm, which I enjoyed very much as a kid. The Ebenezer house is a great place to be oneself, without all the necessities of hectic busy city life. Great place, people and service! Hope I can get up there in the summer to take in The Shenandoah National Park, and sun on the upper deck.

Room Tip: The McIntosh room gives you the most privacy and allows you to have a private restroom, with a claw...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Alan W, Owner at Ebenezer House B&B, responded to this review, 22 November 2015
Thank you John for your wonderful review, it seems that you completely got what we are always striving for. I am sorry to be so long in responding, but the time laps does not diminish our gratitude for your taking the time to write this review.
Alan Webb
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I love going to B&Bs. This one is the worst I have ever been to. Yes Virginia was undergoing a stinkbug infestation but their infestation was out of control. We came in and turned on the A/C and stinkbugs popped out. It was ridiculous. The house where this is based out of was a mess. The closets in our room were filled with a woman's clothes. Absolutely no idea where they came from. We could not even stay the night there and found a hotel with an open room for our vacation. Do not go.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank E G
Doris W, Owner at Ebenezer House B&B, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
I am sorry about the stink bugs in Virginia .. We are all fighting these stink bugs We have our place sprayed for the bugs every three months. I under stand they were brought to this country by the N J Archaeological Dept to get rid of the Lady Bugs. Every one is upset and fighting these bugs.

As for the closets. There are two closets in the McIntosh and Mellon rooms. One is for our guests with Terry Cloth Robes and the other is my closet for storage. The Ebenezer House having been a church at one time had no closet The prior owner who had the down stairs as his wood working shop built dormers on either side of the roof. to enlarge the area ,and this became their living quarters.These rooms are my bed and breakfast rooms.

As for the Ebenezer House being a mess ---- not true. The Ebenezer House is a member of the Inns at Montpelier. One of 10 inns in the area that the ( Montpelier- James Madison's Foundation) recommends to guests to slay in. Also the Ebenezer House has held a certificate of EXCELLENCE from the Bed and Breakfast Association of Virginia for 12 years. Our inns are inspected every two years. The inspection covers very strict regulations and allows me to store clothes in one of the closets. The other closet must be empty and available for guests . At no time.In 12 years has a guest complained about the clothes of the owner being kept in one of the closets.

I also have stayed at B & B's in the United States and the U K where the owner used a closet in the room for storage
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

It is a nice concept: buy an old wooden church building and fill it with antiques. Unfortunately, it has a bad side effect - the entire place has some type of strong musty, old house smell that I never quite got used to. And since there was a stinkbug infestation in Virginia at the time, you could not open any windows to air out the room (some bugs got in anyway somehow). The place was kept clean, but the smell lingered on the furniture and gave me a headache.

But the owner was friendly, and a good cook. He served a great breakfast (with ingredients from the local Whole Foods organic market), and I got to meet his pet cockatiel. And the bathrooms were modern, spacious, and comfortable. The vine that grew up over the upper deck could have been trimmed back more so that it didn't block your view, but there wasn't much to see anyway, except for a wooded lot of pine trees. Speaking of pines, the house is close enough to a major highway (route 29) to give you easy access, but it is surrounded by enough trees to block the sight and sound of traffic. The trees, unfortunately, block your views of the mountains, also, as you really feel like you are in the woods (if you want a good view of the mountains, drive up to Early Mountain Vineyards just down the road). The grounds seem to be fairly well maintained, even if the Koi pond and the roses could use a little more attention. The location is good, as you are just a short drive to Charlottesville, and several area attractions and vineyards. The nearby Bavarian Chef restaurant was excellent, if somewhat pricey, and they served generous portions which you can bring back to store in your small (4 cubit foot) refrigerator in the upstairs common area. The common area also has satellite TV and some old movies on DVD.

The two lofts are a creative use of space, but the lofts are small and have little privacy (as you are overlooking the common area). Think of ski lodge accommodations, and watch your head! The bedrooms are nicer, of course. The McIntosh Room gives you the most privacy, but does not have direct access to the upstairs common area. The breakfast area is the old sanctuary of the church downstairs, which also serves as a second common area with a stereo system and a deck overlooking the Koi pond (but no TV).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Doris W, Owner at Ebenezer House B&B, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
i am sorry that you had a stink bug in your room. We have the place sprayed every month. The bugs disappear but as soon as we have a cold snap they find a way in. They were brought to this country by NJ Architectural Dept.. to fight the Lady Bug infestation. We are all fighting the Stink Bugs from New Jersey to Florida.

You found that the room had a musty smell The room had been closed during the holidays. I wish you had told me. I am sure we could have sprayed the room. But thank you for telling me.

Yes the lofts are creative. The former owner's children played up there. I put the spiral staircase in for safety. One is above the Mellon Room and one above the McIntosh .Room. Designed for guest's children ages 8 and up to sleep. However I find that adults love to sleep there also..
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I was looking for a place to stay for a visit to Monticello for Harvest Festival. I'm so glad I found Ebenezer House. The hosts were welcoming, the house was amazing, and the breakfast was delicious.
There are several outdoor decks/patios to enjoy the quiet evenings and comfortable indoor areas in which to relax.
Be sure to check out the loft rooms. It is quite a creative use of space.
Don't miss the granola at breakfast, it's the best.
I'm hoping to return to visit wineries and enjoy the hospitality here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Alan W, Owner at Ebenezer House B&B, responded to this review, 13 April 2016
Thank you for your kind review looking forward to your return.
Rockville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We recently spent the weekend touring Virginia wineries and stayed at the Ebenezer House B&B. This is the fourth time I have stayed there and as always it was a very pleasant experience. This B&B is convenient to Charlottesville we stayed there for UVA graduation and parents weekend. Doris the owner is charming and very interesting. Upstairs there is a pleasant sitting room and a back deck that catches the evening breeze while we sampled the wines we purchased. Breakfast is varied and had something to suit us all. The German restaurant down the road is not to be missed.

Room Tip: The rooms are all charming and furnished with antiques. The loft rooms are a bit hard to get too wi...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Terry G
Alan W, Owner at Ebenezer House B&B, responded to this review, 13 April 2016
Thank you for your review Terry as alway we await your return.
Port Hadlock, Washington
Reviewed 16 June 2013

A friend recommended the Ebenezer House and I'm glad they did. The house is amazing, with all the antiques and furnishings (each room has a theme related to the furniture and artwork, etc): The Webb's are fun gracious hosts: The surrounding area really is littered with historical landmarks and wineries: And the food was beyond amazing! Be sure to wake up hungry to enjoy the french toast casserole and homemade granola!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Alan W, Owner at Ebenezer House B&B, responded to this review, 13 April 2016
Thank you maybe we should hire you to write our advertising. It sounds like you readly picked up on the flavor of our B&B.
Alan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Lafayette Inn and Restaurant
Lafayette Inn and Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Stanardsville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlottesville - Ruckersville
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesv...
#13 of 35 in Charlottesville
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park
Big Meadows Lodge
Big Meadows Lodge
#1 of 8 in Shenandoah National Park
Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast

Been to Ebenezer House B&B? Share your experiences!