“Bavarian Chef-WOW”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Bavarian Chef is one of my most favorite places to eat in Virginia. Situated right off of Rt. 29, 5 miles south of Madison and 18 miles north of Charlottesville, its very accessible. I recommend advance reservations. The food is authentic German cuisine, with a wide variety of homestyle vegetables. Appetizers are delectable, the only trouble is saving enough room for their wonderful deserts. The selection of German beer is fabulous, only the thirstiest should attempt the boot of beer. I highly recommend The Chef!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

The portions are huge and the sauces enhance the German selections offered. A beer stein at the next table looked inviting. We had the chicken Baden and Madel with a sampler of sausage for an appetizer. Meals come with Red cabbage, spetzel, creamed corn, beans or potato. Dessert was huge but a bit pricey.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Like many other reviewers, I've driven past this restaurant multiple times and wondered. Figured that German food would be heavy, which I never need. But for a friend's birthday, a group of us went there.

It's true: Portions are huge and wait staff are attentive and friendly. And the roasted red pepper soup with crab on top was very, very good. But otherwise, the food was disappointing, starting with the bread served before the meal. Plain old white bread? Not even warm? Made it easy to skip those calories.
Two of my friends always order the Medaillons de Boeuf “Diane” and love it, but I didn't get to try theirs. (And, admittedly, they are guys with big appetites, so big servings ALWAYS appeal. I don't know what their palates are like!)

My Mandel Schnitzel was a disappointment. The crushed-almond coating helped rescue it, but the veal was dry (not tender), and the strawberry-gin sauce was a bit too sweet. The server said it was made with fresh strawberries, and I don't doubt her. But it couldn't make up for the bland veal.

Sure, you take home 1/2 your meal, but I'd rather pay less than $20-35 for a more reasonable portion. And, to be honest, I'd just rather have better food WHATEVER the price.

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Quantities are huge. Great selection of sides served family style-beans were canned, creamed corn good but a little too sweet, potato dumplings disgusting, red cabbage ok, mashed potatoes excellent, squash dish very good. The best things we ordered were the Bavarian sausages, and steak. Others in our group ordered the Baden/Baden and really liked it. The salads were fresh and beautiful but get the salad dressing on the side and skip the house dressing (raspberry and way too sweet). Very pricey. Wish the serving size was small to bring down the price and they would cut down on the sugar.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Meta few friends for Friday eve dinner. The portion size for every entree is huge. If I have one complaint, it's that I wish BC would give you less food! It's best to go with several friends & share a few dishes as we did. We tried 2 specials, the flounder & pork chop and 2 regular menu dishes, the sausages & Mandel schnitzel. All were very good. Tried some beers & wine which were also very good. And don't forget desserts, we tried the apple strudel, Black Forest cake, chocolate flour less torte & gran marnier pie. All were exceptional. I can't say that I know BC is authentic German food, but I can say the food is excellent, the service is outstanding & we always enjoy going to BC.