“Great Atmosphere, Good Food”
Review of The Bavarian Chef

The Bavarian Chef
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington
“Great Atmosphere, Good Food”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Bavarian Chef features a cozy, quaint atmosphere and a good taste of German cuisine you are unlikely to get anywhere else in the area. Be forewarned, it is a pricey meal, but the food is great. Big portions and a large menu of German cuisine to select from are both great elements. Overall, if you enjoy German food or want to try some out, you are unlikely to find a similar place in the area.

• Visited May 2014

Germany
“A touch of Bavaria in VA”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We were staying in Charlottesville, and the Bavarian Chef had been recommended. It was well worth the drive. The atmosphere is quaint, and the service was excellent. We both had the French Onion soup to start, and it may have been some of the best we've had. For the main course, we split the Pork Shank. Good thing to do. It's a Fred Flintstone - sized meal. Excellent! They have a good wine and beer selection, including Delirium Nocturnumon tap! A personal favorite which I've never had in draught form before. If you like German cuisine, don't miss this place.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Lovely atmosphere, lacking important elements”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and I visited The Bavarian Chef this evening for dinner. We are staying in Fredericksburg for a weekend getaway. I was looking forward to trying this restaurant because we have driven by it several times on previous trips to the area and it looks quite quaint. Although the atmosphere was lovely, I was very disappointed with my meal and the details of our service in general.
We were shown to our table almost immediately upon arrival (we did have a reservation), but were not attended to for quite some time. The hostess did notice this and came to apologize for the mix-up. The server was pleasant enough when she arrived, but did not acknowledge our wait. I ordered soup which arrived cold; it took quite some time to get our server's attention to have my soup warmed. Our dinner arrived in a reasonable amount of time, but both of my husbands side dishes were cold and it took until almost the end of the meal to get warm ones, by this point it was a waste. My meal was disappointing, just breaded, flattened, deep fried pork chops over a sauce. The sauce was nice, but the chops were extremely bland. To add to our annoyance, a little bit after we were seated, the large party next to us left; their table went un-bussed for almost an hour. I would never think that something like that would bother me, but I've also never had to sit next to a table covered in dirty dishes for that long. It was kind of gross. Our water glasses were not refreshed at all during our meal although the were empty.
The waitress never asked us how our meal was or acknowledged our disappointment. This was an expensive meal and a treat for us, but I feel like we wasted our time and money. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited May 2014
Madison, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bavarian Chef-WOW”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Bavarian Chef is one of my most favorite places to eat in Virginia. Situated right off of Rt. 29, 5 miles south of Madison and 18 miles north of Charlottesville, its very accessible. I recommend advance reservations. The food is authentic German cuisine, with a wide variety of homestyle vegetables. Appetizers are delectable, the only trouble is saving enough room for their wonderful deserts. The selection of German beer is fabulous, only the thirstiest should attempt the boot of beer. I highly recommend The Chef!

• Visited October 2013
Georgetown, Delaware, United States
“Good German Food”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The portions are huge and the sauces enhance the German selections offered. A beer stein at the next table looked inviting. We had the chicken Baden and Madel with a sampler of sausage for an appetizer. Meals come with Red cabbage, spetzel, creamed corn, beans or potato. Dessert was huge but a bit pricey.

• Visited March 2014