“Well worth the return visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“Well worth the return visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

On a return trip from Roanoke to Fairfax, I saw the opportunity arise for a return visit to the Bavarian Chef. This trip encourages me to think that the hour and a quartet to get there from home should occur more often. I knew I would arrive at about 7:00 PM, so I called ahead for a reservation, and I they were accommodating. The authentic German cuisine came quickly even though the place was pretty full. I had a Zigeunerschnitzel that was excellent, and the zucchini and warm potato salad sides made for a scrumptious meal. My compliments (I shared this with her) to the hostess who appeared to genuinely enjoy her job and make customers feel welcome.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Paducah, Kentucky
“Worth the drive to Frederisckburg!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

If you are anywhere near Fredericksburg it is worth the trip to go to the Bavarian Chef. The food is excellent, authentic and a big portion. My husband and I were visiting family in the area and their "must-not-miss" restaurant recommendation was the Bavarian Chef. We drove over an hour to get there for lunch. We sat outside on the patio and enjoyed a fine day. The service was quick and efficient and your dinner comes with family style sides. Don't miss the spaetzle. The special of the day was a pretzle crusted schnitzle with a mustard cream sauce that was to die for. Good beer selection and a couple of nice German wines.

Washington
“Great Atmosphere, Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Bavarian Chef features a cozy, quaint atmosphere and a good taste of German cuisine you are unlikely to get anywhere else in the area. Be forewarned, it is a pricey meal, but the food is great. Big portions and a large menu of German cuisine to select from are both great elements. Overall, if you enjoy German food or want to try some out, you are unlikely to find a similar place in the area.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Germany
“A touch of Bavaria in VA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We were staying in Charlottesville, and the Bavarian Chef had been recommended. It was well worth the drive. The atmosphere is quaint, and the service was excellent. We both had the French Onion soup to start, and it may have been some of the best we've had. For the main course, we split the Pork Shank. Good thing to do. It's a Fred Flintstone - sized meal. Excellent! They have a good wine and beer selection, including Delirium Nocturnumon tap! A personal favorite which I've never had in draught form before. If you like German cuisine, don't miss this place.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Lovely atmosphere, lacking important elements”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and I visited The Bavarian Chef this evening for dinner. We are staying in Fredericksburg for a weekend getaway. I was looking forward to trying this restaurant because we have driven by it several times on previous trips to the area and it looks quite quaint. Although the atmosphere was lovely, I was very disappointed with my meal and the details of our service in general.
We were shown to our table almost immediately upon arrival (we did have a reservation), but were not attended to for quite some time. The hostess did notice this and came to apologize for the mix-up. The server was pleasant enough when she arrived, but did not acknowledge our wait. I ordered soup which arrived cold; it took quite some time to get our server's attention to have my soup warmed. Our dinner arrived in a reasonable amount of time, but both of my husbands side dishes were cold and it took until almost the end of the meal to get warm ones, by this point it was a waste. My meal was disappointing, just breaded, flattened, deep fried pork chops over a sauce. The sauce was nice, but the chops were extremely bland. To add to our annoyance, a little bit after we were seated, the large party next to us left; their table went un-bussed for almost an hour. I would never think that something like that would bother me, but I've also never had to sit next to a table covered in dirty dishes for that long. It was kind of gross. Our water glasses were not refreshed at all during our meal although the were empty.
The waitress never asked us how our meal was or acknowledged our disappointment. This was an expensive meal and a treat for us, but I feel like we wasted our time and money. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to The Bavarian Chef? Share your experiences!