“Good German Food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Good German Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I travel from Richmond to the Bavarian Chef to enjoy their German Cuisine, which has a limited presence in our area. We have always enjoyed the food and had good service. Typically, we try to arrive early in the evening before the restaurant gets busy. We do consider meals here a splurge for special occasions and look forward to going back.

• Visited July 2014

Glenwood, Maryland, United States
“Good Food and That's About It”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We wanted a nice, non-chain meal. The food was good and plentiful if over-priced. However the dining room was unbelievably loud and the service was slow, a bad combination even if we hadn't been on the road for a large part of the day. Both my husband and I found the restrooms dirty. Like I said, good food.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Warrenton, Virginia
“Don't eat for a few days before going here...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Saw this restaurant on roadside as we headed to a sporting event. Called ahead to make sure they could seat us...very hospitable and kind hostess made a reservation for us. Lovely table in corner with dim lighting. Authentic surroundings, felt like we were in Hansel and Gretel cottage. Waittress and staff were friendly and service was great!! Food was abundant and delicious! Beer cheese was outstanding as was the red cabbage!

Virginia
“The best German cooking this side of the pond.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I went there for dinner for our 46th anniversary, we met in Germany in 1967 and had the best meal that we have had here in the states. We go back to visit her relatives every couple of years, so we know what we are talking about.

1 Thank OpaOmaAmerica
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“Well worth the return visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

On a return trip from Roanoke to Fairfax, I saw the opportunity arise for a return visit to the Bavarian Chef. This trip encourages me to think that the hour and a quartet to get there from home should occur more often. I knew I would arrive at about 7:00 PM, so I called ahead for a reservation, and I they were accommodating. The authentic German cuisine came quickly even though the place was pretty full. I had a Zigeunerschnitzel that was excellent, and the zucchini and warm potato salad sides made for a scrumptious meal. My compliments (I shared this with her) to the hostess who appeared to genuinely enjoy her job and make customers feel welcome.