“Not a place for family”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Madison Heights
Mammoth Spring, Arkansas
“Not a place for family”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Unfortunately I was staying on the cheap and this hotel had an afforable price. That being said, I was actually concerned for my safety. The exterior door locks do not work, and each patio door has questionable locks at best. In the middle of the night I actually heard someone trying to open the patio door to my room. It was terrifying. I would NEVER bring children here - ever!

Filthy does not begin to describe the place. The bathroom was covered in mold and how the department of health has allowed them to serve any food to the public is beyond me. Although when I arrived for the "continental breakfast" at 8:00am, the only thing to be had was a cold cup of coffee - no cream, no food - nothing.

Alas the free wi fi was also a bust and was not operational. Thank goodness the televison worked to keep my mind off of the racket coming from the other rooms. The employees were hit and miss - two of them were very polite, but the breakfast guy should be fired, and maybe he should actually get up and wipe a counter instead of parking his bottom in front of his computer without so much as a good morning?!

I got the feeling this is a place where long term displaced people stay and it is not geared to the average traveller. I am baffled that some of these reviews were positive and said the place was clean. They must have it confused with someplace else.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor and did not feel safe. Perhaps one on the second floor would be prefer...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ralphillips
AbviLynchburg, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Traveler,

Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate the fact that you took the time to let us know that your stay was not up to your expectations. We apologize for this and will certainly look into your comments and take any appropriate action. It is our goal to provide all of our guests with quality service and comfort at an exceptional price.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to make any necessary improvements and will stay with us again or another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located throughout the country.

Americas Best Value Inn-Madison Heights, VA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The mattress you could find better at a Land Fill {dump}. Cobwebs all over the patio curtains.Soiled sheets.I would not recommend this motel even for dogs..Honestly that bad. Look at their mattress they want their guest to sleep on.The place was very stinky. Had to hold my nose so I wouldn't throw up walking threw the hallways. The worst Motel I have ever stayed at

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
AbviLynchburg, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our property. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you felt you experienced with us. There is never an excuse for providing anything less than great service. All claims against this property will be further investigated and corrected where necessary. I hope you will give us another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Travellers are raving about these Madison Heights hotels

Reviewed 6 September 2012

The room was clean. The staff were helpful albeit brief. The courtesy van was really the only thing that threw my wife and I for a loop and that's just because we don't travel much.

If I ever have another overnight layover in Seattle we are definitely staying here again. Great value for a "hey I need someplace to sleep" situation.

Oh, the towels weren't very nice...

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for taking time to share a review about our hotel. We are happy to know you enjoyed our friendly staff. We take great pride in exceeding guest expectations. We understand that you have many options in the marketplace, and are pleased that you have made Americas Best Value Inn your premiere choice for lodging.

We look forward to another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Americas Best Value Inn-Madison Heights VA
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Stinking, nasty-dirty place and has NOT been renovated! Broken locks, dirty carpet with debris, black mold around tub, sticky dirty bathroom tile, months of accumulated dust hanging from bathroom vent, hairs in bathroom, broken fixtures, bare florescent bulbs, chairs with hunks torn out, no unstained surface including what appeared to be blood splatter on drapes & nasty ripped bedspread with what appeared to be body fluids. Asked manager for different room & was told none were available (11PM) & parking lot not full. Asked for someone to come clean, "no one available".
"Patio" was a bare concrete slab with no chairs or table right by parking lot & busy highway. I booked online in a hurry (family emergency) thinking this must be a new 3-star hotel in Madison Heights. It's the old Howard Johnson place that probably hasn't been touched since hojo sold it. I stay in lots of hotels and this is the absolute WORST place I've ever been in, in my life!

I called the online booking company to see about canceling the reservation & finding somewhere decent at 11PM (I had booked 3 nights). I had been in the room a total of 45 minutes at that point, it taking 3 calls to front desk to get the correct internet code (have checked time with reliable sources). Customer service rep called hotel & manager refused to refund my first night lying & saying I had been there over 2 hours!

Having been awake about 19 hours at that point & exausted, I stayed. As mentioned, shower flooded bathroom floor, ended up with a pool of water it took all towels- handtowels to soak up.

I didn't dare risk eating any food from this place. Having seen thier level of lack of cleanliness I can only imagine how this may relate to food.

Tonight I'm in the Kirkley, worth every penny of the slightly higher rate!

Room Tip: DON'T STAY HERE!!! For your health, find somewhere decent, this place isn't!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very concerned about the issues you encountered during your stay. We have recently renovated our property, including painting, microfridges, grouted bathroom floors, new tile flooring and tiles in breakfast area, fencing around perimeter of property for added security. Please know that all complaints will be further investigated and the appropriate action taken.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 20 August 2012

FILTHY. DANK & MOLDY SMELLING. BROKEN LOCKS ON DOORS, NO SECURITY. Interior, curtains half hanging from windows --- spotty privacy. Tile floors in bathroom were so dirty, my tennis shoes stuck to floor as if walking in jelly. Broke out with bug bites after my stay....(bed bugs? something ate me up). NASTY!! Breakfast room: NASTY & DIRTY, pancake batter spilled all over. Counters not wiped or maintained. JUST DISGUSTING. NO WAY THIS IS A 3 STAR HOTEL. THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CONDEMMED. Oh yeah---- NO MOUNTAIN VIEW WHAT SO EVER!! LIARS.

Room Tip: Go to the Kirkley. Best for the money.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
AbviLynchburg, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Karen K,

Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Interior carpets hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. Flies swarming inside doors on lower end near ice machine (which only partially worked). Furniture splitting open on seams. Bedding and pillows smelled musty. Shower curtain had mold along entire bottom. Shower leaked water all over floor. Debris left on floor by housekeeping (Corona beer cap). Most of the TV channels were very fuzzy. Exterior even worse. Grounds had litter in grass. Paint peeling off of building. Staff extremely unfriendly and not helpful. We didn't dare use the pool as we feared typhoid. I think people rent theses rooms and live in them. Some pretty shady characters staying there. I guess for $60 bucks you get what you pay for. I would imagine this would be acceptable to anyone with living standards even with living in a pig sty.

Room Tip: There are no good room here. Keep driving.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear CRuth99,

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to share a traveler opinion with us. I am sorry to hear about the negative experience you had during your stay. We have recently renovated our property, including painting, microfridges, grouted bathroom floors, new tile flooring and tiles in breakfast area, fencing around perimeter of property for added security. If you had reported the issues during your stay, we could have moved you to another room.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed here for Graduation Weekend in Lynchburg. We were originally staying at another hotel in downtown Lynchburg, until we found out their rates were $190 per night (only because it was graduation weekend). This hotel is only about 2 miles from downtown Lynchburg. I admit that we were a bit skeptical of this hotel /motel from the outside, but were pleasantly surprised on the inside. It is a basic room, nothing fancy, but it was fairly large and clean enough (we found a pair of socks under one chair). It does have a fridge, microwave, and coffee pot. There were no stains on the sheets and no bed bugs. The towels were on the thin side, and had a few old stains, but they were soft enough. The young man who made our reservation in person was very helpful and showed us our room before we agreed to stay. This hotel /motel was fine - comfy king size bed, cushy chairs, decent pillows, good a/c, great water pressure, interior passageways, and very quiet when we stayed. There is a definite cleaning chemical smell in the hallways, but not in our room, and no hint of smoke in the room, either, which was a relief for those of us with allergies.
The free breakfast was surprisingly good, too - waffle maker, real apple juice in the fridge (not the watered down stuff you get from a machine), cereal, donuts, bagels, fruit, and I think there was yogurt. We made our own fresh coffee with the help of another guest, and we were the only ones in the small breakfast room.
They were pressure washing the empty pool the morning we left, so I'm guessing it's going to be open soon?
I gave this three stars not because I was displeased with anything, but just because it is a basic hotel with no frills.
Overall, if you are okay with a slightly dated but solidly basic and clean room with a continental breakfast for a price that can't be beat, I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Dear Frugal-Travellers,

Thank you for sharing a response with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our clean and comfortable guest rooms, continental breakfast, water pressure, and friendly staff. We hope that you stay with us again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located across the Country.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison Heights
Comfort Inn & Suites Lynchburg
Holiday Inn Lynchburg
Holiday Inn Lynchburg
#12 of 23 in Lynchburg
La Quinta Inn & Suites Lynchburg at Liberty Univ.
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Lynchburg Liberty University
Hampton Inn & Suites Lynchburg
Craddock Terry Hotel
Craddock Terry Hotel
#3 of 23 in Lynchburg

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!