“Gross”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Madison Heights
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I have never wrote a review on anything before and felt this was a great time to warn others about this hotel. I reserved a one night stay on 4/13/13 from NC. We came in for a concert at Phase 2 which is a GREAT place. We were on a motorcycle and when pulling into this hotel I knew we would not be staying there but had to go in as they already had my card info and owuld charge. So I just requested to see the room before agreeing to stay. It smelled horrible walking through the halls and could tell nothing had been done for upkeep in this hotel in MANY years. Walked in the room which didnt look horrible but I knew we werent staying there so we said we didnt fell comfortable staying there and left. There was only 2 cars in parking lot which had to be the workers. It looked like a good place for a killing so we have renamed this hotel the Murder Inn. We drove a few exits up to stay at Holiday Inn Express in Lynchburg and it was fabulous. Huge flat screen tvs, great shower and hot breakfast. Upon checking in recieved 2 bottles of water because they seen we were on a motorcycle. Worth every penny!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristy I
AbviLynchburg, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very concerned about the issues you encountered during your stay. We have recently renovated our property, including painting, microfridges, grouted bathroom floors, new tile flooring and tiles in breakfast area, fencing around perimeter of property for added security. Please know that all complaints will be further investigated and the appropriate action taken.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

I stayed here 02/23/2013.

The parking lot of this location was ominous enough; syringe in the grass on the way to the booking office.

Employee nodded at me, asked for my drivers license, handed me my key card and told me my room number. I asked where would be best to park, he shrugged and said it was upstairs.

The hallways smell like a mix of urine and dog kennel, with very little lighting. It felt like a horror movie.

HBO on the TV? Really? I couldn't find that channel operational. Wifi? Hah! Good luck! I ended up strolling over to the nearby McDonalds for my internet.

The bathroom's sink's drain leaked every time I used it, and ended up getting my socks wet. The shower head was mildewed beyond belief, appeared to be from the late 80's, and barely spurted water out. 10 minutes into my shower, the water had gone cold; I can't tell whether it was too long of a shower, or just some other glitch.

There was an abundance of trash and clothing under my bed; I did not investigate. The bed was moderately comfortable, but I brought my own sheets and pillows.

Breakfast..... Hah! There was a waffle maker that hasn't been cleaned in years, some kind of yogurt in a bowl of ice, and coffee that tasted like the devil did his business in a carafe. No lie.

I only stayed one night, and noticed my car had a huge dent in the front passenger side's wheel area. I know this isn't the hotel's fault, but I'm still kinda displeased about my poor car. :(

Great price, but this is the scariest, sketchiest, dirtiest hotel I've ever slept in, and I regret doing so.

Room Tip: Do not stay here! Turn back now!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our property. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you felt you experienced with us. There is never an excuse for providing anything less than great service. All claims against this property will be further investigated and corrected where necessary. I hope you will give us another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

I was visiting Lynchburg, VA for my construction business. I stayed at this Motel for a week. The employees were very friendly. I am one of those who always needs extra blankets because I am always cold. I would bother the employees at middle of the night, and they would still help me happily. Great Customer Service!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jason Y

Thank you for sharing a response with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our clean and comfortable guest rooms, continental breakfast and friendly staff. We hope that you stay with us again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located across the Country.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

Unfortunately I was staying on the cheap and this hotel had an afforable price. That being said, I was actually concerned for my safety. The exterior door locks do not work, and each patio door has questionable locks at best. In the middle of the night I actually heard someone trying to open the patio door to my room. It was terrifying. I would NEVER bring children here - ever!

Filthy does not begin to describe the place. The bathroom was covered in mold and how the department of health has allowed them to serve any food to the public is beyond me. Although when I arrived for the "continental breakfast" at 8:00am, the only thing to be had was a cold cup of coffee - no cream, no food - nothing.

Alas the free wi fi was also a bust and was not operational. Thank goodness the televison worked to keep my mind off of the racket coming from the other rooms. The employees were hit and miss - two of them were very polite, but the breakfast guy should be fired, and maybe he should actually get up and wipe a counter instead of parking his bottom in front of his computer without so much as a good morning?!

I got the feeling this is a place where long term displaced people stay and it is not geared to the average traveller. I am baffled that some of these reviews were positive and said the place was clean. They must have it confused with someplace else.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor and did not feel safe. Perhaps one on the second floor would be prefer...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ralphillips

Dear Traveler,

Your feedback is very important to us and we appreciate the fact that you took the time to let us know that your stay was not up to your expectations. We apologize for this and will certainly look into your comments and take any appropriate action. It is our goal to provide all of our guests with quality service and comfort at an exceptional price.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to make any necessary improvements and will stay with us again or another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located throughout the country.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

The mattress you could find better at a Land Fill {dump}. Cobwebs all over the patio curtains.Soiled sheets.I would not recommend this motel even for dogs..Honestly that bad. Look at their mattress they want their guest to sleep on.The place was very stinky. Had to hold my nose so I wouldn't throw up walking threw the hallways. The worst Motel I have ever stayed at

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
AbviLynchburg, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear Valued Guest:

Reviewed 6 September 2012

The room was clean. The staff were helpful albeit brief. The courtesy van was really the only thing that threw my wife and I for a loop and that's just because we don't travel much.

If I ever have another overnight layover in Seattle we are definitely staying here again. Great value for a "hey I need someplace to sleep" situation.

Oh, the towels weren't very nice...

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for taking time to share a review about our hotel. We are happy to know you enjoyed our friendly staff. We take great pride in exceeding guest expectations. We understand that you have many options in the marketplace, and are pleased that you have made Americas Best Value Inn your premiere choice for lodging.

We look forward to another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Americas Best Value Inn-Madison Heights VA

Reviewed 2 September 2012

Stinking, nasty-dirty place and has NOT been renovated! Broken locks, dirty carpet with debris, black mold around tub, sticky dirty bathroom tile, months of accumulated dust hanging from bathroom vent, hairs in bathroom, broken fixtures, bare florescent bulbs, chairs with hunks torn out, no unstained surface including what appeared to be blood splatter on drapes & nasty ripped bedspread with what appeared to be body fluids. Asked manager for different room & was told none were available (11PM) & parking lot not full. Asked for someone to come clean, "no one available".
"Patio" was a bare concrete slab with no chairs or table right by parking lot & busy highway. I booked online in a hurry (family emergency) thinking this must be a new 3-star hotel in Madison Heights. It's the old Howard Johnson place that probably hasn't been touched since hojo sold it. I stay in lots of hotels and this is the absolute WORST place I've ever been in, in my life!

I called the online booking company to see about canceling the reservation & finding somewhere decent at 11PM (I had booked 3 nights). I had been in the room a total of 45 minutes at that point, it taking 3 calls to front desk to get the correct internet code (have checked time with reliable sources). Customer service rep called hotel & manager refused to refund my first night lying & saying I had been there over 2 hours!

Having been awake about 19 hours at that point & exausted, I stayed. As mentioned, shower flooded bathroom floor, ended up with a pool of water it took all towels- handtowels to soak up.

I didn't dare risk eating any food from this place. Having seen thier level of lack of cleanliness I can only imagine how this may relate to food.

Tonight I'm in the Kirkley, worth every penny of the slightly higher rate!

Room Tip: DON'T STAY HERE!!! For your health, find somewhere decent, this place isn't!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Dear Traveler,

Americas Best Value Inn-Madison Heights, VA

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!