“Wine Tasting in Northern VA”
Review of Chateau O'Brien

Chateau O'Brien
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The vineyards in Northern Virginia are always a must do for me as I enjoy the many varietals the wine-makers continue to evolve. But mostly because it is a great way to see the extraordinary beauty of Northern Virginia while visiting with my friends. Chateau O'Brien has one of the best views from its porch looking at the Shenandoahs. However, the $15 tasting fee for 4 samples of their red wines was pricey and the acoustics on the porch made it difficult to have a decent conversation with my friends. I may give this a try again on a warm day when we can sit outside, but I think I'll be trying some of the other vineyards in the area before coming back here.

1  Thank Patty3714
"cabernet franc"
"rainy day"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I realise this is perhaps not the most helpful review but we felt truly offended by the sign with an age limit restriction at the entry to the property (below 21 y) - never seen it before for similar attractions, not in the States, nor in Europe. It's just emotionally such an unpleasant thing to turn around your car - you can see the kids feeling extremely uncomfortable. Will never-ever set my foot there.

1  Thank hetman
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My family and I visited the Winery in April 2013. Upon entering the property we were met by a sign that stated under no terms would anyone under 21 be allowed on the property. I was truly offended by this as most other wineries in the area allowed you to bring your family. My 20 year old son would not have been allowed to enter with us even though we were from 4 hours away and there would have been no where for him to stay. Checking ID's would prevent under age drinking.

Next, most of the property was closed as we were the only people there. This lead me to believe maybe we had visited the wrong place since the other wineries in the area had 10 or more people present. After walking in confused as to where to go ( signs directed you however most doors were locked to tasting counters) the young girl that helped us were very friendly. The wine was not great but it wasn't bad either. We bought a bottle of their dessert wine however it was very over priced compaired to the other wine prices in the area. We wanted to order food( as they had it advertised on signs), but at no time were we offered the option. Maybe on a different day the experience would have been better but on this day it was just average which is a same because it was very nice outside. Later in the day, we visited the Barrel Oak Winery and had an excellant experience.

I may try this winery again during the summer to see if the experience is better but not sure if it would be worth it.

1  Thank vacritter2000
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Howard and Debby, owners and operators of the winery offer some of the best wines you'll ever drink; domestic and foreign. The tasting room is spacious and can handle crowds. They also offer food to share while resting and drinking a glass of your new best wine. Howard also has excellent reserve wines which can be tasted by making an appointment and going to the cellar for food and wine paring and an intimate time with Howard-who is a most gracious host. Debby serves wines and explains the wine making process and uniqueness of each wine. She is a charming and gracious host, second to none. The winery accepts all people.
, as long as they are 21 and older-this is a winery. Howard and Debby also offer several special entertainment occasions, such as ST. Patrick's Day, a mystery dinner and more. This is a must see-just off Hwy 66 west about 1 1/2 hour or so from Washington DC. We came all the way from San Antonio, TX to visit and taste new wines.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This was our first stop on a day of wine touring in Faquier (sp?) County. I will warn you that making the drive up the steep hill can be a test of nerves, especially if someone else is coming down the one lane road. Luckily I was able to swing into the overflow lot but I shutter to think what would have happened had it been full. After that harrowing experience I couldn't wait to taste some wine.
They have two separate tastings and we choose the six wine course. Our pourer was a young lady named Emily and we were a bit disappointed not to see the owner who is said to be quite the character. She was knowledgeable and friendly. I understand they are known for their apple wine which as it gets warmer, gets more tart. It was really cold and I thought it was wonderful. I purchased a bottle of that and of the Buddy's Bistro (a red named after the owner's late dog) as well as the Chardonnay. We weren't disappointed in any of the wines though to be honest and if I had unlimited funds, I would have bought every bottle on the tasting menu. They sell some chocolates that are specially made for them so we picked up a box to enjoy as we watched the snow squalls from the eating area.
It was not crowded but the weather wasn't the best either. I thought the views were gorgeous even in the dead of winter. The only thing I did not like was that drive up the hill. They don't allow limos or small busses, pets nor children either (which could be off putting to some) but sometimes it's sort of nice not to have misbehaved kids running all over the place. I will probably go back but the thought of that drive does make me want to think seriously about that.