“Terrible may seem harsh but if it fits....”
Review of Chateau O'Brien

Chateau O'Brien
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I have been wine tasting in Virginia since 2002 and over the years, we have come across good ones and not so good ones, and have seen different pricing among different regions and wine tasting fees increase over the years. So this was our experience:
1. There is a sign when you pull in saying no kids, no dogs. We came without our daughter but do bring her with us a lot so she can play outside with us sipping on our wine (away from the people there with no kids) and she is usually playing with other kids there. It is a slap in the face to read a sign saying we are not welcome if we bring our daughter or dog.
2. We get in the building and find there are two tasting rooms, one for whites and one for reds. So for us to taste together in the same room, we have to agree on red or white.
3. Tasting fee - $15.00... OK, not so terrible until you realize that the $15.00 is for only four wines (and if you want to taste both red and white wines - 8 total, you have to spend $30.00 each person for a tasting).
4. We only did the reds so I can't speak for the whites. Everyone's taste is different but we both only liked one of their reds... the one that is $20.00/glass or $79.00/bottle, it wasn't that good.
5. While tasting, we got to the third wine and the woman couldn't find a bottle of it so poured it out of a decanter that had very little in it. She poured mine first, then my husband, who ended up get way more than me (mine looked like residue at the bottom)... her solution? She takes his glass that pours some into my glass to even them out... so we both had a tiny taste. When we mentioned that the wine tasted very mild she tells us that the wine is bold so it must be from the decanter - "Who knows how long that wine has been in there." She did eventually have someone get a bottle for her to open and pour for us.
6. It was busy when we first got there but after the first wine we tried, the tasting room was clearing out with only two other couples left. We literally had 5-7 minutes between wines and not because she was so busy engaging with us... she poured, told us the name of the wine and went on to clean up behind the tasting bar for extended periods of time instead of making us feel comfortable.

The whole experience really ruined our view of Chateau O'Brien and we will not be recommending it to anyone. We have been to so many wineries in Virginia over the years and this one will be remembered as one of the worst.

2  Thank foobear4
"cabernet franc"
"rainy day"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 30 January 2014

In September of this year, my sister and I spent a day visiting VA wineries. We had tasted Obrien's apple wine but wanted to see what the others were like. I had heard about a few places that made and sold apple wine... so off we went to a few other wineries. We found some and though we would give it a try. My sister wanted apple wine to take back to FL with her.

This was in her email to me today.... I can’t find any other that compares even the other apple wine was ok but not as good as O’Brien’s.

Guess what she's getting for her birthday. She's gonna be a happy gal. Love My Sister

1  Thank marysites
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Today is our first foray into Northern Virginia wines. We have had mixed results. This was our last stop. We found it pretentious and the wines just ok. No dogs or kids (ok...not everyone wants that kind of family accessibility, got it.). No, you can't pull up a chair to the tasting bar (no one else in the room...). Wines are expensive. They are doing some innovative things with grapes no one else is using. That's a good thing. Not sure we would go back. Seems a little too much for a little too little. Just sayin'.

2  Thank Roanokefoodie
Reviewed 24 November 2013

There are certainly easier wineries to get to and to find but for all of our searching around Virginia for wine Chateau O'Brien is certainly our favorite on wine quality alone. Their Reserve Tannat is to die for and usually sells out early. Big fan, we go back a couple time per year without fail.

1  Thank Casey P
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The vineyards in Northern Virginia are always a must do for me as I enjoy the many varietals the wine-makers continue to evolve. But mostly because it is a great way to see the extraordinary beauty of Northern Virginia while visiting with my friends. Chateau O'Brien has one of the best views from its porch looking at the Shenandoahs. However, the $15 tasting fee for 4 samples of their red wines was pricey and the acoustics on the porch made it difficult to have a decent conversation with my friends. I may give this a try again on a warm day when we can sit outside, but I think I'll be trying some of the other vineyards in the area before coming back here.

1  Thank Patty3714