“Nice, but no cigar”
Review of Chateau O'Brien

Chateau O'Brien
Ranked #4 of 5 things to do in Markham
Reviewed 25 August 2017

We found the wines at Chateau O'Brien to be overpriced for the quality, and were disappointed that to do a tasting they charge separately for a white wine tasting and a red wine tasting. I don't think we will be back.

All reviews
"vineyards"
in 5 reviews
"grapes"

Reviewed 24 July 2017

My family and I had visited the winery before and weren't that impressed with what we found. While visiting the area this time a few in our group had never been and wanted to give it another try. I was a little concerned but agreed to go anyone and I am so glad I did. We entered the winery and were greeted right away. (our first plus from before) Our next plus was it was a nice day outside and the view was beautiful. Two in our group decided not to taste because we had before however the other three did. I purchased a sangria and my mother and I had a seat outside to enjoy the view and wait for the rest of our group. When the group came out, they had three glasses of wine they wanted us to taste. It had not been on the tasting menu when we visited before. Upon tasting the wine we decided that it was the best wine we had tasted that day so far and we had to have it. Because I already had a class of Sangria, I sent my husband in to buy a bottle. When he returned to finished his glass of wine and enjoy the view, he return with four bottle of the Apple wine. Other people were sitting outside enjoying the view as well and although we didn't have any, the food looked delicious and there seemed to be plenty of it. We will certainly return when back in the area. Everything about my first experience improved on this one. This is certainly a must see if in the area.

Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

Our first visit was in 2011 and we loved the wines back then. Since we were in the area again for a wedding we decided to have a private cellar tasting this time around. Howard poured us 7 wines including a few reserved for members only in his cozy wine cellar. We also had assorted cheese and meats to try. The wines were fantastic( we like big,bold, dry reds) and we ended up buying 2 cases. The wines are on the expensive side but In our opinion, well worth the cost. We visited 10 other wineries in the area. Overall, we think the wines in Virginia have continued to improve as more and more wineries open. Our favorite winery though will continue to be Chateau O'Brien.

Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

Second visit to winery. Cool, rainy day on the hillside. Rain and fog rolled in. Quite pretty. Two of us drank Tannat reserve. Very good. Others had Apple wine. It was surprisingly good, as well! Meat and cheese platter purchased. It also was enjoyable. All in all a good visit. Could nit pick, but why. Relaxed with friends, good wine, beautiful view. Try it!

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 April 2017

A good friend recommended that we stop at Chateau O'Brien and I'm so glad we did. It was a Monday and Howard the Owner was in the Winery He asked us what kind of wine we liked to drink and we told him red wines was our favorite. He set up the wine tasting based upon our likes and from the first tasting we fell in love with his wine. Each wine he poured for us just got better and better. We couldn't decide which wine we loved the most so we bought a mixed case of everything we tasted. I wish I lived in Va. and could get to this winery all the time but.... I will be calling him to replace the wines by having him send them to me.