“Excellent Meal, Superb Service”

The White Dog Bistro
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Mathews
Price range: US$12 - US$27
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Enjoy fine dining at the historic White Dog Bistro restaurant in Mathews Virginia. The Bistro unites artistry, simplicity and elegance with beautiful fireplaces set in a classic 1840's southern mansion....
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We found amazing gourmet dining in the small town of Mathews, Virginia! We felt like we were eating in a top restaurant in a large city as we spent the evening in this marvelous restaurant. The food was innovative and top-notch and the service was nothing short of superb. Thank you White Dog Bistro!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We had been hoping to dine at White Dog Bistro for quite awhile and since we were celebrating our anniversary it seemed like the perfect time. White Dog did not disappoint. The property itself is special to my family and as a little bit of a foodie who has worked with a few Johnny Whalers, my expectations were high. JC squeezed us in even though they had a large party taking up the dining room and our request was last minute. We sat in one of the 2 bars. It was quiet and intimate, even with the huge group on property and it felt like we had the place to ourselves. The couple seated next to us came from Richmond and were staying quite far away. The drive is worth it, no matter where you are coming from. The food is exquisite and hit triumphant notes, The chef is AMAZING. Haven't had such a savory symphony on my palate in quite some time. Our server, Andrea, did a phenomenal job and took the finest care of us. No disgruntled employees in this place. Everyone we talked to extolled the virtues of their employers and were happy to be there. If you are looking for a great place to spend a special moment, this is it. But reserve in advance. We got lucky and I have a feeling this place will always be booked. CHEERS!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Let me say that my waiter showed a great willingness to serve us, despite things getting off to an embarrassing start. I was already a little tipsy going into the restaurant, and I decided why not order some more wine while I was there. So I did, and when he asked for my ID I must have been out of it and I tried to show him my debit card. So after he got my actual ID and quizzed me on my birthday (at least I could get that right!) we were all set.

Food - simply outstanding. I had a vegetarian selection which had a quinoa base with grilled vegetables and nuts. There was a sweet fruity flavor to the dish which I didn't think I would like but all the flavors were balanced very well. The serving size was generous.

Our waiter brought us a few treats to nibble on while we were waiting on our meals, and since I praised the olive bread so highly he was happy to bring out another dish of it.

Like the food, I would say the White Dog Bistro as a whole is classy but not pretentious. The building has an interesting local history (even being a home for a movie star!). The servers are all friendly and professional, and the service is super. 100% recommend stopping here!

2  Thank pobtm
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Really great space. The cocktails, which we consumed on the front porch while awaiting our table, were delicious. The meal itself was excellent, and accompanied by live music on a lovely early fall evening. The service was good - very attentive. Excellent value for the money, especially the wine list.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We celebrated a birthday here. Best for adults as the menu isn't suited for young kids. Mint julep did not seem to have any bourbon. Entrees were good, desserts were good. Price was about $150 for 4.