“Nice Place”

Mountainside Villas
Annapolis, Maryland
“Nice Place”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I tried to contact the resort to find out about late check-in as my daughter and I would be arriving well after midnight. After several attempts, I was finally about to get someone by phone that gave me instructions. We arrived around 2:00 a.m. and the resort was very dark and confusing. The maps are not clear. The police on site are very helpful though. The villa was very spacious and clean, however, it was just a little worn in places. It could have used paint on some of the trim, etc. My daughter was thrilled to have a sauna in the place. And there were 3 TVs. I was disappointed not to see any wildlife in my backyard but what can anyone do about that. Otherwise the location was beautiful and scenic. There seemed to be a lot to do onsight however we did not participate in any of those things. The staff at the desk were very nice and helpful upon check-in and check-out. For what we got, the price was great! The beds were very comfortable but not enough to conquer my back issues.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank L K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I used a time share exchange to visit this resort with my two daughters and two grandsons. The townhouse is huge. Upstairs, there are two bedrooms, one with a king bed and the other with a queen, and a loft with two daybeds. The boys used the loft as their personal playroom. There is also a full bath and a deck. Downstairs is a nice living dining area with an electric fireplace and a large modern TV with a blueray, game, DVD player, dining table with 8 chairs, kitchen with nice appliances including frig with water and ice in the door, and the biggest bath I have seen including a large jacuzzi tub, separate shower, and sauna. I have never had a sauna in a unit before. This level also has a deck. The unit was clean and well stocked.
So, why not a 5? Especially when traveling with small children, it is really inconvenient not to have a washer and dryer. I would frankly rather have a washer and dryer than a sauna, although both would be super. The other factor is the inconvenience of no transportation of any kind around the resort, so that if one part of the family goes somewhere, the other part is stranded. Finally, there was the stripping of the beds on the last day -- minor, and I would not have come down for just that, but still...
One big improvement, to me at least, is that wi-fi has been added to the units. Not having wi-fi is a real deal breaker for me, so this was great.
Best aspect -- size
Worst aspect -- isolation
I would certainly recommend though, especially for those living nearby.

Room Tip: The rooms appear to be all the same.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank oldlawmom
North Carolina
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I have stayed at many of the accommodations at this resort, and this is one of my favorites. It is very spacious and accommodates up to eight comfortably. Two bedrooms, sleep sofa, and twins in the loft area. It is, however, probably the oldest of the accommodations available and definitely not for those afraid of or unable to climb many, many stairs. The decor is a bit dated and the sofas were not really comfortable. No granite or cherry cabinetry, but plenty of storage space in kitchen - more than I have at home! Very well-stocked kitchen! Biggest disappointment is the lack of a washer/dryer in the unit, but the laundry room was close and reasonably priced, although inconvenient timewise.

The beds were very comfortable, but the pillows were not great. If you're driving, bring your own! The TV in the master bedroom was very small and there is no TV in the second bedroom. There is a large bath on the first floor with whirlpool, shower and sauna, and another bathroom on the second floor, so there is actually no master bathroom.

There are activity cards for sale - $99 for adults, $69 for those under 16. A good deal for golfers, but not so sure about adults who don't engage in many activities. It provided a nice discount for the zipline-canopy tour and free admission to Luray Caverns and free admission to the shows and some craft activities, plus discounts for the trail ride, other craft activities, and the water park. Plan your activities in advance from the online brochure to see if it saves you money. It was a good deal for us for the kids, but the non-golfing adults about broke even.

I like these units because you don't have noisy strangers on the floor above you - just noisy family.

These units are close to the ski lodge, bungee dome, go-cart racing, family adventure park, mini-golf, general store, swim pools, and one of the golf courses. Other activities are in another part of the resort which requires driving.

Stay away from the timeshare sales tours - they will last far longer than they say and there is a lot of pressure. The sales tours actually are for other accommodations on the resort, but if you really want a timeshare, try for a very reasonably priced one on Ebay!

All in all, I will save my quarters for the laundry - or pack more clothes - and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If steps are a problem to get to the unit, ask for a unit which is more accessible. It seems they a...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank SAJ1215
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 8 February 2013

This was our first stay in the Shanandoah Valley area and we loved it. We had a two bedroom, loft with all sleeping areas upstairs (which some might not like) as well as one bath upstairs. Rooms were spacious and the view from the loft doors and windows along with the porch were pleasant. We had an end unit next to a small creek area with a balcony off the main LR and DR area. From this balcony we were treated to wild life each late afternoon - deer, rabbit, and several groundhogs with dens right below us. The changing of the leaves had just started when we arrived; by the end of the week they were beautiful.

We did not utilize any of the resort facilities but used our time to visit surrounding towns, etc. We went to Luray Caverns and enjoyed the scenery on the drive there and back, choosing a different route each way. A visit to Appatomax was a high light for us as was seeing the famous Natural Bridge (learned this was once owned by Thomas Jefferson and was surveyed by George Washington. Families with children should love the area for the history alone. From the amount of amenities offered, however, a family could stay on the mountain for a week and not be bored. We would like to visit this resort again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank 32818LynMick
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Just came back from a 4-day stay. We rented a 2-bdrm+loft for 2 adults and 4 kids from 7-16. We came for winter sports- 3 of us came from eastern VA and 3 from AL. There was some unexpected ice-sleet-snow the afternoon we arrived. Maintenance hadn't cleared our walkway yet and it was treacherous (most have wooden deck-style steps to the units either a climb up or down) but it wasn't a huge issue- they cant control mother nature's fickle temper- and when I called to ask to have it addressed not only was maintenance there right away, they helped me manage to get my kitchen goods down the icy steps and inside. Very sweet, prompt and helpful. Their plows worked OT to clear roads. We were in 58 Demeret and the driveway area that runs up to and behind this group of units was a bit intimidating on ice (1st gear and auto 4wd was helpful!) but most units have parking on street level. Still not a problem for us. The unit was larger than pics do justice. It was also VERY clean and well-equipped. You'll need your own sundries- mgmt provides TP, paper towels, trash bags, dish soap- you'll need alum foil, plastic wrap, pantry basics (salt pepper coffee etc). Linens were plentiful and good quality, lots of pillows and enough blankets.. You won't find granite countertops or cherry cabinets but it was all still very clean and more than sufficient. If you're going to use the pull out sofa get the offered mattress pad from housekeeping- we didn't because our kids could sleep on nails but adults or bigger kids would be more comfortable off the metal rails. I looked at many units on Massanutten and hands down this was the best deal.i knew the decor was a little dated but was pleasantly surprised by the sturdiness and quality. I like to spread out with my kids and wasn't sure the other 3 in our party would make it- it was way more than 3 needed by far- but even if there had been 8 in our party we'd still have been comfortable. Downstairs bath with jacuzzi, shower- you could put a dance floor in there. I like a foyer meant for winter function- nice mat for wiping feet and taking off boots, long generous bench and tons of hooks for coats.

These units are very nearby the slopes, tubing, golf and mini golf (walk to mini golf and even ski area if you're so inclined) short drive to rec center (arcade, skating, laundry, golf, restaurant). Great location. And even with the drive up to the unit we rented, I'd probably request it again- it's a little more secluded and private.

A few things they could do to make this property/unit more desirable- 1) later check out. 10am is quite early when you're staying in a place this large where you'll be hauling out tons of personal and kitchen goods. 2) 4pm check in is also kind of late. I'm sure the turn-over time is a consideration, it's not a hotel and housekeeping has a lot to do in 6 hrs but its a mad dash out and it's a late start getting settled. 3) in-unit W/D would be reasonable. There's room (huge utility closets downstairs- the kitchen is also large enough for euro-style under counter units) and in a place you intend to stay and play it would be much much better than hauling wash to a laundry room. Not a deal breaker, would just be great. Some ice melt in a bucket for the balconies and walks would be another nice touch- if there'd been a sufficient shovel or broom, I would have swept it myself. Last improvement for this property and the mountain in general would be a SHUTTLE. Most major resorts now have free shuttles - Mass does not. Not a complaint- just good to know. You will need a car-truck.There's a general store but its quite limited- hit a grocery store on your way in. There's a Super Walmart 26mi east on 33.

Speaking of great- if you're coming in with wet mittens and bibs lay em out flat in the sauna on med heat! Bam! Dry boots and wool socks in no time :) great for you too... but I seriously don't want to stay for skiing where there's no sauna now!

Overall a VERY nice stay. This was our first time at Mass and we will probably go back 2-3 times this season and we'd definitely stay here again. I see no point paying $200+ a night more for granite counters and a less convenient location on the same mountain.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank higpaws12
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Very nice large units. The girls at the front desk were awesome. The units are large with whirlpool tub and sauna. Kitchen and counter space are plentiful. Dining area for eight. Beautiful fireplace in living area. Only thing we disliked were the couches a little uncomfortable. Our bed upstairs was very comfortable, we slept like babies. For us the best thing about our unit was the peace and quiet, not a sole above us. The area is beautiful especially in oct. when leaves are in color. Great hiking in the area and plenty to do at this four seasons resort. This resort is a can't miss. We have been to Massanutten twice now and look forward to going back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelingalways34683
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Really enjoyed the unit at Massanutten overlooking the 18th green of the Mountail Golf Course, some snow while we were there enhanced the beauty. The condo was neat, clean and well maintained with a wonderful layout. Loved the fireplace and large windows overlooking the mountain and the golf course and the loft really made the unit.

Room Tip: All condos are about the same.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Bob E
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGaheysville
Residence Inn Harrisonburg
#13 of 22 in Harrisonburg
The Village Inn
The Village Inn
#5 of 22 in Harrisonburg

Been to Mountainside Villas? Share your experiences!