“Basic Lodging with Lots of Nature and Possibilities”
Review of Massanutten Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McGaheysville
Massanutten Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
Fairfax, Virginia
“Basic Lodging with Lots of Nature and Possibilities”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I'm at odds with how to review this place. They call it a resort but it's more like a family focused area that has a "hotel" and lots of family friendly and outdoor activities. It's not a resort in the vein of Nemacolin or the Salamander, but more of a rustic facility that has rentals of houses, townhouses and rooms. It's very Mom and Pop and I'm not saying that is a bad thing.

Making a reservation took several phone calls because they aren't open all the time. You have to call within business hours, which is when we are working ourselves! No online booking available here!

The hotel room is very basic. The floors seem to be plywood covered with very old and worn indoor/outdoor carpet squares. The room was clean but I think our comforter on the bed was 25 years old! The room was a throw back to the 1980's. The bathroom was big enough and had vinyl flooring. The shower was clean and had decent water pressure. The bed was comfortable enough but the sheets came off the bed during the night which sort of grossed me out.

About the resort: Check-in is at 1pm and they won't give a key out until 1pm. We checked in at 12:50 and they would not give us a key. That's bad policy especially because the check in area is not large enough to accommodate very many people. It was crowded and chaotic. I asked the concierge for some hiking and activity suggestions. He gave me a map with 2 trails on it. He also told me that there weren't many scheduled activities because Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are considered check in days so not much is planned. WHAT? Most people can only stay for a weekend, but moving on...

We hiked Kaylor's Knob and really enjoyed it. I highly recommend for beginner hikers. The view is beautiful as you hike long the ridge top and have views on both sides!

My husband and I went to the Fairway Lounge and had a couple of drinks before dinner. The bartender was excellent and made a great martini. He was very friendly and accommodating to us. We enjoyed sitting outside watching the groundhogs and deer walk around the golf course.

Husband and Son went to play some mini-golf later in that evening. The person working the golf course was about to close up but allowed them and another family to play. It's important to note that activities such as go-karting, mini golf, etc. close EARLY even on weekend nights. I think things close at 5pm on Friday nights.

My son was able to go-kart before we left and he had a good time doing it. The kid who was working the go-kart left a lot to be desired as far as communication and customer service. The bungi jump thing was closed and we thought that was odd so I asked him when it would be open and he said, "Maybe it'll open tomorrow...I dunno!" After a few more questions, he finally revealed that it was closed because the wind gust were anticipated to be up to 30 mph later in the day so they didn't open it. Wow...if only he said that right away.

Because of our short stay and the fact that things close early here, we weren't able to do most of things available at Massanutten. I will say that we enjoyed the beauty and the nature that surrounds you here. We enjoyed walking the streets and checking out the houses on property.

To sum it all up: this is a place for people and families who enjoy the outdoors and don't mind basic accommodations. I think there is a lot to do especially in the warmer months. Once I got over the idea that this place is a resort, I enjoyed what Massanutten has to offer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank OhJackieO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Took a vacation to the Shenandoah Mountains for hiking and the outdoors. Stayed at the Massanutten Resort in a villa. Very clean, beautiful with a great view of the mountains and the golf course. Felt like we were in a condo for sure with a full kitchen, dining room, fireplace and huge master bedroom with a jacuzzi. The staff is very friendly and ready to answer any and all questions. It is a bit of a walk/run or short drive to get to most places within the resort but well worth it. The water park is nice but very much geared toward younger children. We had rain one day and went to the Recreation center and played basketball in the gym and toured the complex which is very large. There are many caverns, wineries (over 260 in the state) and hiking opportunities very close to here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Gobears1964
Cambridge, Maryland
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I won this trip to Massanutten Resort through one of these free giveaways, which was very cool. The stay was a standard hotel room, although you had to drive or walk a while to get to the restaurant or hotel amenities. There was no room service or anything like that in the section where we were staying. One awesome part of the resort was seeing and getting really close to the white tail deer. They were outside our room on the first night, and we saw them a few times after that. We did have to sit through the sales pitch, which was exactly what you'd expect, quite pushy, but beyond that were nagged or pushed throughout the trip. There wasn't much to do in the actual resort complex unless you were into or could afford winter sports. They had skiing and tubing, but all of the snow was man made. There is one great restaurant in the complex which I will do a separate review for and a diner type of restaurant where the check in is. My husband and I spent time driving around and visiting little railroad towns nearby! We went to a play at the American Shakespeare Center (see separate review) which was awesome. Overall the whole trip was a lot of fun, but a lot of driving!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Josie Mae R
Reviewed 11 April 2014

The living quarters at a "resort" should appear welcoming, inviting, clean, vibrant and should offer space, comfort and cleanliness so you feel and sleep good while you are away from your own home. I was disappointed to walk into hotel 6 at the "resort" and feel like I was walking in to a motel 6 type of environment- a 2 star hotel. A resort should offer a more moderm look. Hotel 6 looked and felt old and musty. The couch was not fit for sitting because it was dirty and so worn that it was vintage looking. I really could not believe what I was looking at. When I planned this trip and paid the $100 deposit months prior, I was so excited. I thought I was going to kick back, relax, be able to walk on the carpet barefeet. This hotel is not comfortable at all. The mattress was low and worn. There was no decor on the walls. The curtains appeared dusty and the room had no life to it. I am a lively person, but I couldnt even bring enough life to this situation to stay the entire 3 days....because even with the amenities, having to come back to your room at the "resort" to sit, lay and sleep in a bed that is worn, old and has been used too much- was unsettling. I couldnt believe the carpet! The family restaurant on grounds served food that sounded good on the menu, but the taste was poor. The hollandaise sauce with my entree tasted sour. The presentation of the entrees was generic. The quality of the food that should be served at the "main" fine dining restaurant at the resort has to be of a higher quality! The staff at the tour center during check in (Jessica) was very friendly. The grounds are beautiful. The views and sites are amazing, but the room was a disaster.

I asked for another room that was cleaner; a room that felt fresher inside of the room and possibly more modern decor. I wanted to feel comfortable so I could enjoy the entire stay. However, the option was to move to another floor in the same hotel. I appreciate the possibility of what could have been a better experience, but I plan to leave on tomorrow and not take advantage of the additional two nights. --I took an annual leave day from work, placed my pooches in the kennel for boarding and drove up the mountain to a fluke!

Room Tip: dont stay at hotel 6
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Shawn S

Travellers are raving about these McGaheysville hotels

Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Only swimming was free; everything else cost money, including aquafit sessions. Not one of the 3 clocks was set to time; bedroom clock had a lock device so unable to set time or alarm. Housekeeping did come when called; removed lock device & set time in bedroom. Did not fix time on living room clock when told of that. Outdoors under window are 2 rows of 16 heating units, which ran almost all night, were so noisy we could not sleep. Office notified but nothing changed. Noise so loud the bedroom patio doors were rattling! Walls are thin, heard neighbour's toilet flush, their conversation & TV. Promise of maximum 2 1/2 hr tour/sales pitch turned out to be 5 long hours!! Went on a DC Washington bus tour; told we could use our Mad Money for this. I called the day before the tour & was told I did not need to take the Mad $ to their office; could do this on the bus. On the bus next am they said they could not do this, called office for us, made us sign credit receipt & advised us to go to office next am to sort this out. In office, they refused to give us credit for the $100 and denied what was told on the phone. Said we could spend the money at their restaurant, even though we had only 1 day left there. Not our wish. We were not impressed at all & will probably never return there or advise anyone else to go there. Terrible public relations! Money could only be used on their resort.

Room Tip: Do not get a unit facing the side the furnace units are on. They are outside and so noisy, even the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Walter D
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We had booked this condo through the Armed Forces Vacation club and got sucked into the timeshare presentation for activity cards that we could' t or didn't use. We have booked many other resorts through AFV and have never been asked about doing a presentation, we couldn't get our parking pass until we said yes, then tried to get out of it the same day and told we would be charged $198 for the passes if we didn't go. We went and they weren't too bad after we kept saying we were NOT interested but still had to sit through it for 2.5 hours.
The room reeked of cigarette smoke and tried everything to air it out all week. Overall the room was very spacious and clean.
No deer sightings over at the Woodstone side, the view is the golf driving range and whatever heaps of dirt to look at. No view of much of anything.
Overall we don't spend much time in the room so we live with what we get!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nikniron
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I love time shares.I own 2.but to own there.over priced.no great food close by.good if you have children.its a family resort.not a couples.pretty area.I did walk down the mountain with to Deer. The sales man in the resort pushy and rude

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank GRLCOACH
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGaheysville
Sleep Inn & Suites Harrisonburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg
#13 of 22 in Harrisonburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisonburg

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!