“June Vacation”
Review of Massanutten Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McGaheysville
Massanutten Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
Kilmarnock, Virginia
“June Vacation”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I just love this resort, my second time staying here. Something for everyone. Simply love the weekly schedule of events offered. The wine tastings are my favorite. Most of the employees are great, a few could learn some manners. Clean and spacious rooms.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank GiGiFoodSnobbie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our annual stay at Massanutten was another success. I apologize in advance for the length of the review but I wanted to be comprehensive. We stayed at The Summit in units 166UL and 167UL. Our group ranged in age from 2 1/2 years to 60+ years. Some stayed only the first weekend but most stayed all week starting Friday, 7/11. Weather was fabulous.

The units were clean and comfortable as we've come to expect. They're equipped with basic kitchen supplies and linens. We keep a list of things to bring annually and we make a trip to the Food Lion down the street for perishables and the things we forgot (still can't figure out how this happens). We timed it this year. Takes 8 minutes to get from The Summit to route 33 and then 5 minutes to Food Lion which is on 33 east of the resort.

This year check in was pretty painless. Service was excellent at the front desk. As usual, we were offered 2 free activity cards to take part in the owner's survey aka sales pitch but we took a pass because we participated in October. What's an Activity Card? The short answer: you get discounts on activities if you purchase one. Check the website for more info. After you check in you'll be sent to another counter to get your parking pass and you can't go to the 3rd counter to buy your activity cards until you go to this 2nd counter so be prepared. Nothing is ever truly free. It will cost you time or money. Decide which is more valuable to you. Two activity cards will cost $198. You can get them free if you go to the time share sales pitch which is 2 hours+ which includes breakfast or lunch. There are reviews here filled with outrage over this but it's unrealistic and a bit naive to think you're going to get $198 in value for free when you already know few things in life are ever really free. Just sayin'

Be prepared to drive everywhere. Watch out for deer and walkers (no not zombies). There are lots of folks out walking around to get exercise but there are no sidewalks. There are hiking trails too but I'm seeing many people out in the morning and after dinner just trying to get their steps in. That said, you need to drive to get to activities like golf, the Waterpark, pools, etc.

Try to look at the Entertainment Guide and website before you arrive so you have some idea where things are, what's available and if they cost money. We still spend too much time trying to decide what to do because there are so many interests and options. If you have a planner in your group/family, get them engaged and try to have some advance discussions around activities and coordination. I'm not suggesting you schedule every hour of the day. Some activities are only offered once a week like Trivia Night on Sunday night. Just suggesting it's worthwhile to take a look. You'll also be able to figure out in advance if an Activity Card is worth buying for $99. Try to avoid making that decision while standing in front of the salesperson. There are some free activities and others that come with a fee. There are reviews on TA expressing everything from sadness to outrage about paying for activities. Save yourself from unpleasant surprises and look at the website and Entertainment Guide before you get there. There is full disclosure of fees and you can call ahead to ask questions too if you need clarification.

Wireless is free but slows down during peak periods like early morning and evenings when people are checking emails and uploading pictures. The DVD players in the condos are not blue-ray players so don't bring your blue ray version of Frozen unless you have something to play it on. You won't be able to hook your computer up to the tv. The Market did have Frozen for rent so disaster was averted.

This year we went River Tubing. The Entertainment Guide says it's at 12:30 plus other times of the day. Apparently when you call for the reservation to go tubing at 12:30 they tell you to be there by 12. Somehow my sister missed that part and I guess that can happen if you've got 3 kids creating chaos around you when you call to make the reservation. We were late and we were re-scheduled for the next day. The manager, Mike was about as ungracious as I've ever encountered even though my sister said twice it was her fault. In six years of coming here it was the first time I'd ever encountered anyone at Massanutten that was unpleasant which may be why it stood out. We steered clear of him when we returned and had a great time. Brian and James were charming, helpful and patient.

The WaterPark is a must-do if you've got kids. There's even a baby pool. The lockers are very handy. You can find shaded chaise lounges or drag them out into the sun. You're not allowed to bring your own food but you get a wrist band that allows re-entry if you head back to your condo for lunch (and maybe a nap for little ones) and want to come back later that day.

My husband and I love the golf courses. Woodstone Golf Course now has family tees. Obviously the idea is to speed up play. We took our 11 year old grand daughter to try them out. She's had lessons but does not play regularly. The family tees definitely speed up play if everyone moves up to the family tees but it's not fun for experienced golfers unless they just want to work on their short game while playing with their kids. I recommend using your own good judgement. As long as you keep up, you can play your regular tees and have your kids play the family tees. Late morning and early afternoon tee times are a lot less crowded.

We spent a fair amount of time at the Woodstone pool. While the kids splashed around my brother-in-law hit the treadmill and could still see the kids. There's an indoor and outdoor pool plus a fitness center and arcade. There's a playground next to the outdoor pool and tennis courts. Tennis racket rentals are free. My sixth year coming here and I still discover new things.

My sister's family went to Luray Caverns one afternoon. They loved it. They also went horseback riding and had a great time.

We also went go-karting, the bunge dome and the ice cream stand (all next to each other). Great way to end the day instead of sitting in front of the tv or when you've had enough Uno.

Once again I'm giving an Excellent rating.

Room Tip: We really like the condos at The Summit.
12 Thank G0ingn0w
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The spa was amazing!!!! Perfect place for a girls day!!!! The taste of both worlds was very relaxing!!!!! We had 3 couples and enjoyed our stay. Drove to harrisonburgh visited several breweries and a winery. We had a blast. Perfect location for a couples weekend and the girls loved the spa

Stayed July 2014
Honesdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The water park, the magic show, the adventure park, zip line, go carts, pools, etc. all contributed to a wonderful mini vacation with the grandchildren. Lots to do. Excellent staff. Nice accommodations.

Seaford, Delaware
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We travel several weeks a year for vacation and several more for work. This is one of the worst resorts we have ever stayed in. People kept talking it up so we thought we would give it a try. Took three rooms for a mini-reunion and all of us had similar complaints. Dirty, dingy, needs remodeling. Shows that the location gets a lot of use... everything is well worn. Many of the places we travel to are upscale this is not. Linens were low quality, mattress had a valley, blankets were disgusting. Even the employees expressed that it was a pit. There are nice family amenities nearby and at the resort. Nearly all of them are NOT included in the price.It is like a huge apartment complex, one of our rooms was a solid 6-8 minutes away by car. Nearly all of the resort amenities have to be driven too. Very disappointing and will never stay there again. The only bright note was we did have some excellent service by a waiter named Romeo.

Room Tip: Another hotel would be preferable.
4 Thank Raymond A

Travellers are raving about these McGaheysville hotels

whatadolly
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I just got back from a two night mini vacation with my fiancée, sister, brother-in-law and their baby daughter. I did not know what to expect, as none of us had been to this resort before, but I must say that it was phenomenal from beginning to end. We got adjoining condos, which was great because my fiancée and I had our privacy, while still being next door to my family. We had a full kitchen, big living room, and seating area. In the bedroom was a huge king bed, and a jacuzzi! We thought that was kind of weird but we actually ended up using it! The accommodations were PRISTINE. I literally could not find a speck of dust or dirt on anything. That can also be said of all the pools at the resort as well as the waterpark. Everything is so well maintained and clean. The guys played golf one day, and they said the course was challenging but really nice. I went into this trip slightly apprehensive, but I seriously had a wonderful time, I cannot say a single bad thing about this place. I loved it, and we will definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank whatadolly
Attica, Michigan
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The resort is very large with beautiful surroundings. There is a water park and tons of activities for children and families. Wildlife abound, meaning there are deer and ground hogs everywhere. They come up to you begging for food and lay in yards and beside the roads. A great place to stay.
However, we stayed in two villas at Eagle Trace on The Hill. Our rooms were in two separate buildings next to each other, we had both lower level units. There was no way to get to the door facing the parking because of the very steep hill going down. We had to go in the top door and down two sets of steps with luggage, etc. to get the the room. We were able to visit through the lower doors but the path was full of rocks and hard to walk on and around. The A/C was regulated, it could not be set lower than 70 degrees and the thermometer showed 70 degrees inside the entire week we were there. The units could use some updates as far as furnishings and bathroom upgrades. The beds and fold-out couches were very uncomfortable. One of the units had tiny ants around the base and up the sides of the toilet stool and the bath tub faucet dripped continually. The units could have used a good cleaning also. I have attached some photos. The decks facing the mountains had good views, but were entirely enclosed so the only way to get to the car was to go up two sets of stairs to the top walkway and up another set of steps. I assume the decks were enclosed to prevent wildlife from getting up on them as there were groundhogs and deer (even a cat) at the railings begging for food all the time. There are bears there too. A good resort for a family vacation, if you do not want to take the 2 hour presentation to entice you to buy be prepared to be asked in person or by phone at least four times.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Units #200A or #201A in the Eagle Trace Villas on The HIll. I can not speak for any o...
3 Thank FedupinKeyLargo
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGaheysville
Sleep Inn & Suites Harrisonburg
Residence Inn Harrisonburg
#1 of 22 in Harrisonburg
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Harrisonburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisonburg

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!