“Tranquility and Beauty”

Ranked #1 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Sarasota, Florida
“Tranquility and Beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I have traveled to many beautiful destinations around the world. The Goodstone Inn is probably one of the most exquisite places that I have visited. I was looking for a beautiful place to celebrate our second anniversary. Something close, not wanting to spend eight hours on an airplane. The Goodstone Inn is located in Middleburg , Virginia , close to Washington DC.
The staff is professional and warm. The accommodations are lovely. One can chose from one of the many beautifully appointed cottages located around the 265 acre farm or stay in the former stables.
The restaurant is amazing. We enjoyed the "Farm to Fork" menue, paired with local wines. Yes, this area of Virginia produces some very drinkable wines! Freshest ingredients produced on the farm were an epicurean adventure!
The Goodstone Inn is perfect for a romantic weekend, family reunion, gathering of friends , a wedding!
Truly a "world class" get away!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jenna W, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Melissa F,

What a pleasure to read your review of the Goodstone Inn! Your words capture the essence of what we aim to accomplish, thank you!! I am pleased that you were here to enjoy the Farm to Fork menu and sample some Virginian wines! We look forward to you returning to experience a 'world class' get away!

Warm Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Somerset, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The property is amazing and I have stayed here four times over the last year. The first three times were fantastic......but the last visit a few weeks ago I was amazed at how much the level of service has declined. I stayed for four days in the bull barn and dropped a nice chunk of change. This time everything was different but the thing that was most annoying was when my wife asked the waitress to add cheese to her eggs. She went into the kitchen and the chef was yelling at the waitress for asking! I felt like I was at Deli....still no cheese. $600 a night they should have a little cheese on a farm. I spoke to three employees about what happened. I felt bad for the waitress and my wife. Not what I expected from an upscale B&B. I tried to find a General Manager but she was not around....... for two day! The inn was empty while we were there and I had to beg to get my room cleaned by noon time......The hot water tank in the Bull barn smells! They stopped putting cookies in the room in the afternoon until I asked for them. They used to watch the front door and open the door when you go to the main house. We were planning on renting the whole french cottage for Thanksgiving and have a really nice family get away but when I finally found the manager it was impossible to come to terms agreeable. When I told her about the screaming chef ! She said she knew nothing about it. Very disconnected with what is really going on. TRY THE SALAMANDER IN MIDDLEBERG, VA

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Blackbeard L
Jenna W, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Blackbeard L,

I again apologize for any disappointment that you and your wife had on this most recent visit to The Goodstone Inn. We strive to exceed our guests expectations at every encounter and I am sorry that this was not accomplished during your visit.

I am sorry that we could not accommodate your request for a deeply discounted room rate over the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving is a very busy period for us and we cannot accommodate the requested rate for our rooms at that time.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Hayloft Room for the second time. The room has not changed much in the past five years, and we loved it! We did miss the two chaise lounges that were on the large private rooftop deck the last time we stayed and hope that they will be back up there next time when we return!

The bedroom has a queen size bed with two closets and an AC window unit in the bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom has two pedestal sinks on either side of the little hallway leading to the large jacuzzi tub. In the hallway between the bedroom and tub/sinks there is a toilet closet and the glassed in shower. The ceiling is low (about 7 1/2 feet where it isn't slanted) so wouldn't recommend this room if you are tall. A lot of slanted ceilings and dormer windows add a lot of character to this attic room.

You access the room by going through a door right next to the bar and up very steep carpeted stairs. You can also get to the rooftop by taking the outside stairs, but they are not really well maintained like the rest of the inn. This would not be a room for the elderly or anyone who has mobility issues.

Across from our bedroom door is a storage room that we heard people accessing many times, but it didn't bother us.

The grounds are beautiful and very peaceful. The pool is a large rectangular one with nice surroundings. The houses around the property are well maintained. Definitely a place to check out!

Stayed July 2014
Jenna W, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
We are so pleased to hear that you had a nice stay! The Hayloft is a staff favorite as a room here on property, nothing beats that deck or the privacy and views from it! Thank you for your feedback about the maintenance of the stairwells to the area, we will have our team attend to it right away!!

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review, we will share it with out team. We look forward to your return to Goodstone in the near future! The Hayloft awaits you!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My teenage daughter and I took a day trip to Middleburg and had lunch at Goodstone Inn yesterday. We can't stop talking about the food and the property. The food was wonderful--fresh and inventive--and I'm picky. We were given a peek at one of the cottages and found it clean, romantic and charming. The pool area--surrounded by stone ruins-- is probably the most beautiful spot I have ever seen! They encouraged us to visit the antique barn where we found an 800lb pig named Oliver. A farm hand helped my daughter score a few pictures with this giant creature. The property isn't overdone or pretentious or B&B creepy and the views are spectacular. We are planning a return visit but this time it will be an overnight. What a special place this is.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this review! I am delighted to hear that you had a nice luncheon experience and that you took the time to explore the property inside and out! We can't wait for you to return and visit with Oliver again!

Warmest regards from the Goodstone Team!
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We recently spent a night in the Magnolia Room in Dutch Cottage. The Delphinium Room was not occupied the evening we stayed and so we had the cottage to ourselves. We walked across to the farm to see the vegetables, chickens, llama, sheep and of course Oliver the pig, and then spent a relaxing afternoon lying by the pool. Towards dusk two deer appeared a few yards away which was a lovely surprise. The changing rooms by the pool are beautifully designed and appointed - definitely worth a look.
The Dutch Cottage itself is fully equipped so you could stay and cook your own dinners if preferred, and the sitting areas were comfortable and spacious. There is also a hot tub just near the cottage, and a barbecue outside also.
Our dinner was superb - high quality fresh ingredients. We have put a separate review on the restaurant.
We did have an issue with part of the service provided at check-in, but when this was brought to the attention of the manager our concerns were addressed immediately, sincerely and in a way that surpassed our expectations. For this reason we wholeheartedly recommend Goodstone and hope to return soon for another visit. It is truly a special place.

Room Tip: The Magnolia room was comfortable and spacious, with a claw foot bath with shower overhead. When we...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tal27
Jenna W, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to compose such a wonderful review regarding your most recent visit to The Goodstone Inn. We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable experience, and that you were able to enjoy so many of the amenities that are available to our guests here on the Estate. The property is a wonderful retreat, giving our guests a chance to visit with our spoiled farm animals, relax by the pool, or hike our trails.

Thank you for speaking with me upon check out, I appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Goodstone Inn very soon! Warmest regards
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

The grounds of the Goodstone are stunning and the buildings are lovely. If this hotel cost about half of what it does, I would have been very pleased with it. Given how expensive it is, however, all those little things it got wrong should not have been gotten wrong. Our sink dripped for three days. Drip, drip, drip, all night. I called and mentioned it on the first day and was assured it would be fixed. It wasn't. The shower barely worked, with more water coming out of the faucet than the shower head. It took forever to rinse my hair. Same story, called, was assured it would be fixed, it never was. Blown out lightbulbs are not something I expect in a room that expensive. What, the cleaning crew didn't notice that only one light in the bathroom worked? Maybe they were distracted by the black wasps that were constantly appearing in there (there was a nest right outside the window, apparently they could get in the window). One night, the power went out. We were in a cabin with some people we didn't know. No one from the hotel staff came to tell us what was going on, check on us, or bring candles, flashlights or water (water goes out when the power goes out). We arrived back at a pitch dark cabin and had to fumble around, looking for a flashlight that I vaguely remembered seeing at the back of a closet. They didn't communicate with us about this in any way, or make sure we were ok, or ask if we needed extra water or anything. It was amazing, actually. And for just under $500 a night, I would have expected more. A whole lot more. There is a cute little hotel in town, stay there and save a lot of money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank BeatrixB
Craig B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear BeatrixB,

I am very sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your room, we strive for the best service and accommodations possible and sounds like we may have not have accomplished that during your stay.

We did have a terrible storm come through a about two weeks ago and lost our power as did the whole town and county, during this time all of our guests were in the Great Room enjoying a private gathering, we had candles and instructions available for everyone. If for some reason you didn't get that information I do apologize and please know that we care about every guest and their safety.

I am inviting you to call me directly to discuss this matter further. Unfortunately this is the first I am hearing about this. Lets talk soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Hello Culinary friends. I am writing this in response to one of the most amazing meals I have had in a very long time. Last week we had a wonderful experience here at Goodstone. Not only were the accommodations impeccable, but most importantly to me, the service first class and the food outstanding. The Chef here is John Leonard and he has passion! I can see it in his eyes and taste it in his food.

Upon arrival to this beautiful estate in the heart of the Virginia Hunt Country, we were greeted with an open door, fresh flowers everywhere and a bar stocked with it all!
Not to toot my own horn, but this review comes from the heart of a fellow Chef. So I feel that my thoughts would be appreciated in our world of food.

So lets talk about the main event. DINNER. We were here for four courses and we could not wait!

A small, intimate candle lit verandah. Views of trees, flowers and rolling hills. Already I am happy, relaxed and getting hungry with anticipation.....

We are two at the table.

Appetizers:.. I ordered the Escargot de Printemps. What a fresh and jubilant medley of fresh Fava, Radish, Fresh Green Peas and Pancetta. All were cooked perfectly while maintaining the texture of each bean. The escargots were tender and incredibly juicy in a flavorful broth. Chef John has it seasoned just right....yes, just right.

Second appetizer: the Mushroom Strudel and loved it. Filo, excellent..check. Duxelle fabulous...check. Truffle oil, just enough but not too much to over power. Nice fresh salad to accompany the dish.

Salad course: The spinach and strawberry salad was perfect. I appreciate when a Chef washes the greens and then dries them in order to receive the dressing. I just have to say that the greens and the strawberries were at the peak of freshness.
The goat cheese an excellent addition. Loved the nutty crunch of Sunflower kernels. Don't quote me, but it is possible that I may have licked the plate in order to taste all of the Vincotta Balsamic dressing.

Salad number two: the Goodstone Garden Lettuce.
Perfect marriage of textures and flavors. I suppose I may be accused of being a traditionalist when it comes to food, but there is a history to great pairings.... Roquefort, dates, apples and pecans. Salads with nuts, fresh fruit, greens and great cheese go together. End of conversation!

Entree:The Guinea Hen. All I will say is this...PERFECTLY cooked. Crispy skin, juicy and incredibly moist. The simplest of things are always the best. And the perfect Jus. The Farro was so tender and flavorful....

Entree: The Lamb. I know I should start by saying something about the meat, but the Celery Puree took my breath away!!! Another triumph of perfectly cooked Morels and Asparagus and a Tarragon Jus that invokes a big smile. The Lamb was excellent. Perfectly pink, just stellar.

Of course dessert...My "better half"...a pastry Chef said:

The Lavender Creme Brulee with honeycomb was heaven! My only thought was to increase the "lavenderness" in the custard.

Breakfast the next day:

I love a good Eggs Benny...but this one was impeccable. The Hollandaise was seasoned just right and perfectly "nappe" across the delicately poached eggs.
The blueberry pancakes...ah yes! Since I cannot make a good one to save my life, I love eating a real fluffy one full of berries. Add the true Maple syrup, Homemade sausage ( my fave) and Applewood Bacon sides to the plate...mmmmmmm!

Much thanks for making our breakfast that morning... We were very late. Nobody likes the guy who comes in right before the kitchen closes..:)
Our server, Daniel, went to great lengths to make sure our service was the best.

Come stay...come see, come taste and experience what Chef Leonard has in store for you!!!!! The Somelier and Restaurant Manager Stephen Elhafdi will very warmly welcome you.

Damn, now our secret getaway is out there...!

Room Tip: the only thing I wish for here...more king sized beds..;-) but any room has a great view, fab bathro...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Nadinepinto,

What a wonderful review, thank you for taking the time to go into the many details that best describe the culinary, service and atmosphere surrounding our beautiful Inn. I am so please to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and culinary experience.

Please let me know personally when you plan to visit again, perhaps we can arrange a farm tour!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleburg
Airlie
Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Middleburg Country Inn
Middleburg Country Inn
#4 of 8 in Middleburg

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!