“A luxurious country retreat”

Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
“A luxurious country retreat”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Carlisle suite, and ended up being the only ones renting a suite in that building during our stay. The room was very well appointed and comfortable, but it was quite lovely to have the whole house to ourselves. There is a gas fireplace, sofa & chairs as well as a tv and selection of DVDs. I loved reading in front of the fireplace. Also lovely were the selection of fresh baked cookies delivered every afternoon by the cleaning staff. They also had a keurig, cups & plates in the kitchen.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Cmw218
Jenna W, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to do such a detailed review after your stay in December of 2013! We appreciate your comments! Summer is winding down, fall is approaching, and December is not too far away! Looks like its time for you to book again! Can't wait to have you return!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel as the last stop of a lovely tour through VA wine country and historical sites. I really wanted to make sure we ended our 8 day journey on a high note. Unfortunately, we didn't come away with that experience. Don't get me wrong, Goodstone is a lovely property in a very nice, albeit remote setting. The rooms are nicely appointed but with no balconies or decks it's difficult to truly enjoy the amazing setting without feeling cooped up. We didn't feel warmly welcomed and there was no offer to assist with bags. When I shared with the concierge that we had an early plane to catch and asked if we could get a breakfast to go, she sounded like she had never encountered such a request. I asked her if she could speak with the chef or her manager or credit the breakfast that we were not going to be able to enjoy. She agreed to, but we never heard from her and there was nobody on property when we left at 7 the next morning. I've stayed at a lot of 5-star hotels in my day and, unfortunately, the service didn't appear to be more than a 3 star quality at Goodstone. Even the Hampton Inn offers breakfast to go if that's what you need!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Wendy C
Jenna W, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Wendy C,

I was disappointed to read your review regarding your experience at The Goodstone Inn. Please email or call me so that I may issue a credit to you room for the breakfast. I would also like to speak to you further about your experience. I can be reached at 540-687-3333 or by email at jware@goodstone.com

warmest regards,
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I have traveled to many beautiful destinations around the world. The Goodstone Inn is probably one of the most exquisite places that I have visited. I was looking for a beautiful place to celebrate our second anniversary. Something close, not wanting to spend eight hours on an airplane. The Goodstone Inn is located in Middleburg , Virginia , close to Washington DC.
The staff is professional and warm. The accommodations are lovely. One can chose from one of the many beautifully appointed cottages located around the 265 acre farm or stay in the former stables.
The restaurant is amazing. We enjoyed the "Farm to Fork" menue, paired with local wines. Yes, this area of Virginia produces some very drinkable wines! Freshest ingredients produced on the farm were an epicurean adventure!
The Goodstone Inn is perfect for a romantic weekend, family reunion, gathering of friends , a wedding!
Truly a "world class" get away!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jenna W, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Melissa F,

What a pleasure to read your review of the Goodstone Inn! Your words capture the essence of what we aim to accomplish, thank you!! I am pleased that you were here to enjoy the Farm to Fork menu and sample some Virginian wines! We look forward to you returning to experience a 'world class' get away!

Warm Regards,
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The property is amazing and I have stayed here four times over the last year. The first three times were fantastic......but the last visit a few weeks ago I was amazed at how much the level of service has declined. I stayed for four days in the bull barn and dropped a nice chunk of change. This time everything was different but the thing that was most annoying was when my wife asked the waitress to add cheese to her eggs. She went into the kitchen and the chef was yelling at the waitress for asking! I felt like I was at Deli....still no cheese. $600 a night they should have a little cheese on a farm. I spoke to three employees about what happened. I felt bad for the waitress and my wife. Not what I expected from an upscale B&B. I tried to find a General Manager but she was not around....... for two day! The inn was empty while we were there and I had to beg to get my room cleaned by noon time......The hot water tank in the Bull barn smells! They stopped putting cookies in the room in the afternoon until I asked for them. They used to watch the front door and open the door when you go to the main house. We were planning on renting the whole french cottage for Thanksgiving and have a really nice family get away but when I finally found the manager it was impossible to come to terms agreeable. When I told her about the screaming chef ! She said she knew nothing about it. Very disconnected with what is really going on. TRY THE SALAMANDER IN MIDDLEBERG, VA

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Blackbeard L
Jenna W, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Blackbeard L,

I again apologize for any disappointment that you and your wife had on this most recent visit to The Goodstone Inn. We strive to exceed our guests expectations at every encounter and I am sorry that this was not accomplished during your visit.

I am sorry that we could not accommodate your request for a deeply discounted room rate over the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving is a very busy period for us and we cannot accommodate the requested rate for our rooms at that time.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Hayloft Room for the second time. The room has not changed much in the past five years, and we loved it! We did miss the two chaise lounges that were on the large private rooftop deck the last time we stayed and hope that they will be back up there next time when we return!

The bedroom has a queen size bed with two closets and an AC window unit in the bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom has two pedestal sinks on either side of the little hallway leading to the large jacuzzi tub. In the hallway between the bedroom and tub/sinks there is a toilet closet and the glassed in shower. The ceiling is low (about 7 1/2 feet where it isn't slanted) so wouldn't recommend this room if you are tall. A lot of slanted ceilings and dormer windows add a lot of character to this attic room.

You access the room by going through a door right next to the bar and up very steep carpeted stairs. You can also get to the rooftop by taking the outside stairs, but they are not really well maintained like the rest of the inn. This would not be a room for the elderly or anyone who has mobility issues.

Across from our bedroom door is a storage room that we heard people accessing many times, but it didn't bother us.

The grounds are beautiful and very peaceful. The pool is a large rectangular one with nice surroundings. The houses around the property are well maintained. Definitely a place to check out!

Stayed July 2014
Jenna W, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
We are so pleased to hear that you had a nice stay! The Hayloft is a staff favorite as a room here on property, nothing beats that deck or the privacy and views from it! Thank you for your feedback about the maintenance of the stairwells to the area, we will have our team attend to it right away!!

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review, we will share it with out team. We look forward to your return to Goodstone in the near future! The Hayloft awaits you!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My teenage daughter and I took a day trip to Middleburg and had lunch at Goodstone Inn yesterday. We can't stop talking about the food and the property. The food was wonderful--fresh and inventive--and I'm picky. We were given a peek at one of the cottages and found it clean, romantic and charming. The pool area--surrounded by stone ruins-- is probably the most beautiful spot I have ever seen! They encouraged us to visit the antique barn where we found an 800lb pig named Oliver. A farm hand helped my daughter score a few pictures with this giant creature. The property isn't overdone or pretentious or B&B creepy and the views are spectacular. We are planning a return visit but this time it will be an overnight. What a special place this is.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this review! I am delighted to hear that you had a nice luncheon experience and that you took the time to explore the property inside and out! We can't wait for you to return and visit with Oliver again!

Warmest regards from the Goodstone Team!
London, UK
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We recently spent a night in the Magnolia Room in Dutch Cottage. The Delphinium Room was not occupied the evening we stayed and so we had the cottage to ourselves. We walked across to the farm to see the vegetables, chickens, llama, sheep and of course Oliver the pig, and then spent a relaxing afternoon lying by the pool. Towards dusk two deer appeared a few yards away which was a lovely surprise. The changing rooms by the pool are beautifully designed and appointed - definitely worth a look.
The Dutch Cottage itself is fully equipped so you could stay and cook your own dinners if preferred, and the sitting areas were comfortable and spacious. There is also a hot tub just near the cottage, and a barbecue outside also.
Our dinner was superb - high quality fresh ingredients. We have put a separate review on the restaurant.
We did have an issue with part of the service provided at check-in, but when this was brought to the attention of the manager our concerns were addressed immediately, sincerely and in a way that surpassed our expectations. For this reason we wholeheartedly recommend Goodstone and hope to return soon for another visit. It is truly a special place.

Room Tip: The Magnolia room was comfortable and spacious, with a claw foot bath with shower overhead. When we...