“Gorgeous!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middleburg
Ashburn, Virginia
“Gorgeous!!”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This resort is GORGEOUS, from the elegant furniture and decor to the beautiful land and location. However, what makes this resort even more gorgeous are the people that run it!

Upon arriving you're greeted outside. We were welcomed by an exceptional man with a genuine, radiant, beaming smile. Every time I saw him he was upbeat and happy the entire day. What a gift!

When entering, there is a lady that greets you at the front desk named Gemma and her name suits her well because she is a true GEM! She is full of love, kindness and true sincerity, kind to every single person that walks thru that door and so hospitable to us and our little two year old.

Every person we encountered working at this resort did such a great job greeting us, smiling, just being sweet and going the extra mile to be kind and show sincere goodness to everyone! We have stayed at lots of nice resorts and are truly amazed by this one!

And only God knows how many times, since this resort's inception, I have said "thank you" to Him for Sheila Johnson creating this resort and having a vision for it! It's wonderful to come and experience it's loveliness and beauty first-hand! I was thrilled when first hearing about the resort because I have a huge passion for spas and this beautiful facility has exceeded my expectations! I'm super excited because it's right down the street from my house! It's the BEST spa around!!! SO THANKFUL!!!

The spa is beyond excellent with it's jacuzzi, phenomenal heated seats, lovely lounge, and the genuine sweetness of the ladies at the front desk and attendants.

My masseur, Marion, was amazing! She was pleasant and is great at what she does! I'm very picky when it comes to my massages, having them regularly every week for years, (sometimes even twice a week before kids :D), I know exactly what I enjoy and need and she definitely exceeded my expectations!

There was a boy named Corey that was beyond helpful and was very considerate. We wouldn't be able to say enough kind words about him. He brought us room service and was just exceptional! I mentioned I loved flowers and he came and dropped a beautiful little bouquet of roses at the room for us! So sweet and generous!

It's nice touches like this that make an experience especially enjoyable! When the beauty of a place is enhanced with the kindness and sincerity and love of the people on staff, then you have one exceptional experience awaiting you! I definitely recommend the Salamander Resort!!! I love this place! Thanks everyone for making our stay wonderful!!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank BethBradley777
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you for the warm words about our newly opened resort! We can't wait to welcome you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
san francisco
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Salamander a few weeks ago for a dual celebration (birthday and anniversary). We were hoping for a Four Seasons-like sojourn where the service, staff and location exceeds, or at least equals, our high expectations. We were not disappointed.

'Magical' is how I would describe our visit to the Salamander. First and foremost, all of the staff we encountered were extremely accommodating and although some might have been on the learning curve of things, they were nonetheless tireless in their efforts to assist us, whatever the request or question. Our room was splendid with a view to the serene and lovely grounds overlooking some of the many hiking trails on the property. The bathrooms felt like a spa experience complete with a wonderful soaking tub, large jetted limestone/marble shower stall, dainty and top notch amenities and double marble sinks. They even thought to include a separate make-up table with extra amenities.

If I had one complaint it was of my own failing. The second I walked into our room, my thought was (Darn, and we only booked two nights here!) Due to our early morning flight, unfortunately we couldn't extend our stay.

We dined at Harriman's both for dinner and two breakfasts. The breakfasts were very good (although I prefer a more hearty Scottish oatmeal than the kind they served) and the dinner was equally delicious. I am baffled by some of the other less than stellar reviews, especially for the restaurant. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area so we are accustomed to very fine food and we felt Harriman's was, for the most part, on par. Maybe it's the choice of entrée which make a difference (as it is for most restaurants) but, for us, we thoroughly enjoyed all our meals at the Salamander. And a special thank you to the lovely Lindsay who graciously provided us Prosecco for toasting my birthday and insisted that we have dessert (3 delicious handmade ice cream flavors) on the house.

I know that we'll be back to the Salamander on our next trip back East and this time I won't make the mistake of booking only 2 nights. One could easily stay a week at this place. And if you have a horse, beware, he or she may never want to leave either. Middleburg is also a delightful and charming little village with lots of shops and cutesy restaurants.

Thank you to all the staff (and concierge for the chocolate!) at Salamander for making our celebrations memorable indeed!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nora L
Thank you for sharing your Salamander experience on Trip Advisor. We hope to welcome you back very soon.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This property is beautiful and very well appointed. However, the service was awful, especially the food. We were double charged for our breakfast, charged the wrong rate for our room, couldn't find anyone to help us turn on the outdoor fireplaces, and, overall, it seemed like more training was needed all around. However, hands down, the major failure was the dinner. Their was no salad on the menu, everything was either over or under seasoned, and in general was trying to do to much. Extremely disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank KDanyeil
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am terrible sorry to hear about service short falls faced during your visit. Please be assured that we are continually training and working to improve our menu lay out and options. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me directly at gm@salamanderresort.com
Upperville, VA USA
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Not a hotel guest - wanted to try the restaurant.
Beautiful location, interior design and appointments. After several months, the management and staff are still working out the kinks. Few of the staff seem to know their way around the hotel or the area. Need staff familiar with the local area and attractions as well as true customer service.
Harriman's Room seems to be the main dining room but not more than an average restaurant with higher resort prices. Service seems to be improved from earlier reviews but food is not exceptional. Several places to eat in Middleburg at better value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for giving us your feedback and for visiting Harrimans. Your constructive notes are shared with our team and are part of our continuous training. We hope that you come back shortly and see how you have helped to make us better.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife and I recently spent a beautiful fall weekend at Salamander and would like to thank the staff for a wonderful experience. From the moment we pulled into the driveway we were greeted with smiles and warm regards! The setting was majestic and the accommodations/décor were exceptional. The smallest details were immediately addressed by staff and we thank them for their prompt attention. The Salamander is a beautiful addition to the Middleburg countryside and we look forward to our next visit!

Shaun & Dr. Tammy Lamb-Manning

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Shaun M
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Shaun & Dr. Tammy Lamb-Manning, we couldn't be more thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed staying with us at Salamander Resort. We can't wait to welcome you back.
Washington DC
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 1 night stay at the Salamander for our anniversary. We were very hesitant to go based on the negative trip advisor reviews. However, our experience was wonderful and we would be thrilled to go back. Elena at check-in was so warm and welcoming, making feel like we were old friends when we checked out the next morning. I found the staff so enthusiastic and warm, and really appreciated a nice greeting from every staff member we passed. For example, we wanted to have cocktails outside by the fire pit one night, and the woman at the front desk personally went and found some blankets and brought them out to us. A sweet touch. We also used the complimentary car service to both a winery and town for dinner (we walked back which was an easy 10 minute walk). Every staff member was very gracious and made us feel very special.

We had reservations for dinner at the restaurant, and decided to cancel and ate at Red Fox Inn, which I highly recommend. We did have breakfast though at the hotel and it was great.

We usually stay at the Four Seasons, partly because we love the service. I found the staff here equally as accommodating. Considering they have only been open a couple months, I was impressed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelgirrllll
Thank you for sharing your lovely experience on Trip Advisor. As a Four Seasons loyal, we know you expect incredible service and we are proud to deliver! We look forward to earning you loyalty and welcoming you back soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed at the resort two months ago for my birthday and withheld a poor review in the hopes that it would end happily remedied, but unfortunately this hasn't happened.

I sent the following email while we were still at the resort, and we received a call from the GM expressing regret for the quality of our visit. In that call, he apologized and asked if we might give the resort another chance with a second visit at the resort's courtesy. We were highly reluctant to do so, but he said he would mail said vouchers regardless. More than a month passed with no contact and I had to write management again to just demand a refund.

"To the management:

My partner and I checked in yesterday with high hopes for a relaxing escape from Washington, but we have been utterly disappointed. We chose the resort specially for its restaurant and spa and so far have been able to access neither.

We emailed the spa as directed to check appointment availability, and since nearly five days have received no response. Not expecting anything tomorrow (walk-ins are welcome but not preferred, the bellhop told us) we've planned to get our massages on the way home at a Korean spa we've consistently enjoyed before.

As for dining at Harrimans, we arrived to the host stand to be told that they were "fully committed," which we eventually deduced to be a euphemism for "invite-only special event" as the dining room was roughly half-full and not accepting new tables just after 9 pm. We were instead directed to the wine bar, where the indignity came to a head. We sat at an empty table in full view of the bar and staff, and waited quite some time before even being acknowledged. We flagged down one member of the staff that came from the direction of the restaurant, who when we asked how to get a server, unhelpfully told us she didn't know how they did things in the wine bar, and wished us luck and disappeared rather than find anyone else to help. While waiting further for a server, we were treated to seeing someone from a party of five walk across the room to angrily complain about their poor service that had been underway for some time. We did finally get a server to place an order for us, and food was delivered by a few different people though we rarely saw our initial server again. We also watched a couple who sat at the only free table, which had remained uncleared for an hour, who waited for service for some time, and who then moved to a table off the main bar area and got no service there. They ultimately approached the bartender directly and sat at the bar, looking uncomfortable and embarrassed, as we likewise felt at paying 500$ a night to be ignored. Near the end of our meal, someone from another party of five who sat down shortly after us came and asked how our food had been, because as we were about to leave they had still been able to obtain any. Please note that managers were hovering at the doorway fussing with door panels or passing through the wine bar all this time without checking on any patrons' contentment. The true insult came when diners began to emerge from the restaurant, happy with glasses of wine and boxes of food. Managers that were previously silent and passive came out of the woodwork to greet and glad-hand these apparent VIPs, and there was much fanfare on each new guest's arrival. Needless to say, their service was prompt, and I guarantee it was noticed by all. We felt like second-class citizens.

We quietly mentioned the exceedingly poor service to a manager in the lobby, who denied any unusual service and gave a halfhearted apology and some excuses about a soft opening. We came because we heard that the resort was fully open, and we expected to enjoy its amenities. It is clearly not ready.

Truly, I cannot recall having been treated with such rude indifference at a hotel or restaurant in my life. What was meant to be a special birthday holiday has left us feeling tense, aggravated, and insulted. We will not return."

But wait, there's more! We were then treated to a special wait where we were ignored at breakfast as well, with the dining room not even half-full. Before we were seated (again, with the dining room more than half-empty) we were waiting in the hall for about 15 minutes when Sheila Johnson herself passed by to shake our hand and say how glad she was that we were there. Pity she didn't bother to ask how we were doing or I might have told her! I was too dumbfounded at her blissful ignorance to speak up about how we felt about this disaster. After being seated and waiting without being acknowledged, a manager, Ms. Tang, finally noticed that we had gotten no service for nearly twenty minutes and was faintly apologetic and had apparently gotten my letter above. She said she'd like to get my contact information but then did not bother to, and likewise didn't contact us after our departure. Breakfast was cold and extremely slow and disjointed.

I'll conclude with the same comments I last sent to the management:

"Management seems to be quite aware that the services and amenities that we paid for were not available (to put it mildly), and <a full refund> seems to be more than fair. We did not only miss out on a relaxing holiday by having a regular weekend at home; instead we had an upsetting weekend away from home where the service we received left me teary at more than one mealtime, feeling not only not-special but not even worth speaking to. I have been further embarrassed by your resort as I suggested the location to my partner, who wound up having to console me that none of this was my fault and that we would be home soon."

(Minor points I would echo from other reviewers include that there were not enough coffee pods in the room and that room service took half an hour to bring cream for the coffee, also absent. The front desk also had no idea how to work the in-room interactive TV where one is meant to be able to access the room service menu (among other resort information), and could not contact anyone who knew how to use it either.)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank carrot_little
Hello,

I want to extend a whole heartedly sincere apology to you and your partner on behalf of the resort. While when you visited we were in our first few weeks of being open there is absolutely no excuse for the service received or the way you felt after visiting us. We would like to do what ever we can to make this up to you and your partner to earn back your respect. Please reach out to me directly and I will make sure this is looked into and rectified. chover@salamanderhotels.com or gm@salamanderhotels.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleburg
Airlie
#1 of 8 in Middleburg
Inn at Evergreen
Inn at Evergreen
#1 of 1 in Haymarket

Been to Salamander Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!