“Nothing special”

Salamander Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middleburg
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I went with friends from the D.C. area for a girl's day out. The drive was far, especially for the quality of the experience, and it was overpriced. Small, dark locker room, limited lounge seating, average massage technique, ball-game quality food in an alley-like setting, all did not add up to my final bill for myself and my daughter of over $500. Definitely

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
GMatSalamander, General Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am terrible sorry to hear about service short falls and inadequate dining experience faced during your visit. Please be assured that we are continually training and working to improve both our menu offerings and overall spa experience for our guests. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me directly at gm@salamanderresort.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed 19 December 2013

My wife and I arrived on a Sunday afternoon for a two night getaway at Salamander Resort and spa in Middleburg, VA. Middleburg is a small town in Loudon County, deep in the heart of horse country and wineries. The resort opened just a few months ago and has good buzz in the region as a luxury getaway destination that's less than 40 miles from Washington. We usually go to the eastern shore of MD for our annual December getaway, but opted for a shorter drive this year.

We arrived in the town of Middleburg and passed just one road sign referencing Salamander Resort; it said that it was 0.9 miles away, but we never saw another sign that would direct a traveler to the resort. After two or three turnarounds and re-routes on the iphone map app, we found ourselves driving onto the property via an understated driveway that lead to the resort. It is an impressive drive up to the main building and it is easy to visualize how lush and green the views would be were it not December. A young man met us to valet the car at the main entrance and another young man stood a few feet away to hold open the main door. Neither offered to help with getting our luggage out of the trunk. And upon entering the foyer we had to turn back to them to ask where the check-in desk was located ( to the left). At the desk we were warmly greeted, an offer to take the luggage was made; overall a swift check-in process, but the valets/doormen might need a refresher; they are the first impression gatekeepers.

The resort's main lobby is stunning. It was decorated for Christmas and presented a feeling of being in a grand---but not stuffy--living room of a great estate house. The Wine Grill is off one side of the lobby and the library , full of books and table games, off the other. Beyond the lobby rooms is the back lawn which lead to trails for the stables, a fire pit and the other amenities on the grounds. We'd requested a room on a high floor, but were told we'd have to wait a while for one to open up, so we were fine staying on the main floor in a room that was ready then. The hallways are long and beautifully decorated with photos by Ms. Johnson, artwork and tasteful furniture peices. Because the resort is more expansive ( wide) than tall ( four stories, I believe), its something of a long walk if your room is on the farther end of the buildings. Our room was exactly as described: an estate king with a large bathroom, gas fireplace and an L-shaped sofa area. It was well decorated and the furnishings, fixtures and amenities were what you'd expect in a luxury resort's room. (My wife was particularly impressed with the special face towels for removing makeup, but thought the ornate tub was too small). Absolutely no complaints about the room. Our view of the winter landscape of bare trees and brown brush was ---again, another reminder to come back in the spring.

We ate a late lunch in the Grill the first afternoon of our stay and found the food there was fine but basic. The service from the main waiter ( possibly the bartender) was a bit indifferent. He oddly referred to us as "ladies" (plural) and gentleman (?) and didn't have much to share about the resort or area after we mentioned we were out-of-state guests. When we were done, he brought the check, but without a pen, and then disappeared. After nearly ten minutes of expecting him to return, I found a random resort worker and borrowed a pen from him to sign the bill. The Grill experience is the only ding that I would give to the level of service at Salamander. It fell a little below expectations and as I noticed that locals/visitors were flowing in and out of the bar ( apparently to watch football on the bar's tv), I'm assuming that they don't rely on the resort guests for their primary source of business at the Grill.

Our room rate included breakfast each morning and it was excellent each day. The order taker was extremely efficient and made little adjustments and recommendations about the menu. She was also accurate to within five minutes for the time the food would arrive at our room both mornings. The servers were also very warm and friendly and eager to share info about the spa and the town.

Speaking of the spa, We foolishly did not make a spa appointment ahead of our stay, and could not coordinate a time that worked for us around our other plans when we tried after arriving. We did try to get a tour of the spa since we coud not get an appointment and were told that we couldnt see it while guests are having treatments, but that we could come back later (?) It wasn't clear if "later" was an arbitrary time when treatments aren't scheduled which would seem to imply THAT would be the time that WE could schedule treatments we couldn't schedule before??? Oh, well, at the gym, the experience was very good; great equipment, a nice sized lap pool and large sauna, friendly, helpful staff.

We enjoyed our stay and felt the resort was comfortable and well designed and definitely want to return in a warmer season when the grounds and outdoor amenities can be experienced. For a brief getaway to lounge without the kids in a little luxury, it was just right.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Farmerica

Thank you so much for sharing your comments and recommendations with us. Please know that I will share your feedback with our staff so we can gain a greater perspective on guest expectations to correct and polish our service. We are sorry that you were not able to experience the Spa during your visit, but look forward to having you back someday very soon to experience its soothing healthy treatments. Please tell your wife we are delighted to hear that she loved the specialty Makeup face cloths in your guest room! Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

**Visit the Salamander, you'll be happy that you did!**
Last weekend included one of the most important (and in some ways nerve racking) days of my life - the day I asked my girlfriend to marry me. I chose Salamander Resort as the location, and let me say, I couldn't have picked a better spot! The property was of course beautiful and the decor, elegant. From the grand foyer, to the spacious and inviting room, to the heated outdoor pool and luxurious spa, this place has it all. It's truly "picturesque." I chose the stables as "the place" to pop the question. Might not immediately sound like the best place, but take a visit the stables and you'll know why this was the perfect place. Of course, when you visit a resort like this, you expect the place/property to be top notch; it was. However, what made the Salamander really stand out was the staff and the the impeccable service I received. I plan to only propose once in my life so I put a lot of trust in the staff to make this special day perfect. The Salamander did not disappoint! I am not exaggerating when I say that the 'entire' staff was amazing! Their one-on-one customer service made me feel completely comfortable and confident that this proposal was going to be smooth and romantically perfect. The staff's service and attention to detail was second to none. I could continue writing but I understand readers can only stand so much. I'll close by saying that the Salamander is beautiful, I could not be more grateful to the staff and I look forward to many more visits in the future. THANK YOU to everyone! (PS. She said YES!)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Joan P, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Jesse - We are so happy for the two of you! I must say, I got goose bumps reading your review and cannot help but smile from ear to ear hearing she said, "yes". On behalf of our General Manager and our staff, thank you for all of your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you and your fiancé soon!

Reviewed 13 December 2013

My boyfriend brought me here for a weekend getaway and we could not have had a better experience. The resort itself is amazing and the hotel room exceeded our expectations with the view, decor, and little extras. The customer service from the moment we pulled up was outstanding. Everyone at the resort was very friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were happy. Also, i HIGHLY recommend using the spa amenities. We booked a couples massage and we both agreed it was the best massage we have ever had. We look forward to going back when we can.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
GMatSalamander, General Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

We thank you for taking time to share your comments and excitement regarding your recent stay at Salamander Resort & Spa. It is wonderful to hear how about all of the amenities and features you and your boyfriend were able to enjoy. We hope you are able to come back for a visit soon!

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was at this hotel last week and it is absolutely stunning. However, an "excellent" is not as high a rating as I wish I could give to the front desk staff. The car I hired to take me to the airport was late picking me up. The front desk staff and Mr. Gorajczyk, specifically, quickly arranged for one of their vehicles to take me. Even the Concierge, who was going off duty, offered to drive me. Know that you are in good hands with these capable folks.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you, from the entire team at Salamander Resort & Spa. Our passion is hospitality and service and to hear from a guest that had an experience like you did makes our week! We want all of our guests to feel like they are royalty and exceed every service expectation. We want to thank you for taking the time to share about your visit on Trip Advisor. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the resort very soon!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I had an opportunity to experience Virginia fox hunting through Salamander Resort and Spa. Salamander organized the hirelings, the capping and accompanied us to the meet. It was a glorious day of hunting... hirelings knew their job.. the Warrington Hunt members were remarkable to us. For hunting enthusiasts Salamander provides a fabulous opportunity to hunt the Virginia territory and then come home to the Spa for a Rider's Relief Massage. Nothing could be better!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MK J
Joan P, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you for that lovely review and your support of our equestrian program! We are delighted that you were able to enjoy the Middleburg hunt country and experience a relaxing spa treatment afterwards to cap off your day of fun. Our equestrian team is truly passionate about all aspects of horsemanship, the riding, hunting, jumping and love that they can share that with guests such as yourself and even novices too! Again, thank you for kind posting and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

For those of us who live in the Washington Metropolitan area, we have been watching this place being built over the last several years. We’ve watched it start from a spa to a mini-resort, to what it is now, a sprawling oasis amidst Virginia’s wine country and upper class elite. When you arrive to this place, it’s almost like stepping back in time but in the 21st century. From the bell staff to the greeters to the front desk and hotel staff, you have truly arrived in grand style! When you walk into the main lobby, you are immediately taken aback by a huge great room with fireplaces and large windows and doors that lead to an open air veranda overlooking the horse stables and fire pit. Off of the great room is a beautiful mahogany paneled library with some of Ms. Johnson’s personal books – very impressive. If you have an opportunity to walk the property, do walk the corridors of the meeting space. On display is some of the most beautiful and classical pieces of art and tapestries you could ever find all in one place. Now to the rooms. My room was well-appointed with every comfort you could think of to make your stay comfortable. From marble baths complete with claw foot soaking tubs, to cordless phones, fireplaces and overhead reading lamps, to the top of the line linen - no detail was spared. If I had one complaint, it would be the room was not as sound proof as I would have liked. I could hear my neighbors TV and conversation from the bathroom. Otherwise, great comfortable stay.

To the food. We had an opportunity to peruse the menu. As you can expect, it is very expensive. You can skip the $20 sandwiches with 22% surcharge and delivery fees and go downtown Middleburg by hotel shuttle, to the Market Salamander and get if for half the cost. I digress. We did have the opportunity to eat at Harriman’s, on the property, and the food was absolutely delicious. The staff was attentive and served our meals in somewhat of a cirque du solei act. The food was perfectly season and well paired with some of the best Virginia wines.

All in all, this place is absolutely stunning and if you are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to stay here, do expect to be impressed.

Room Tip: No room is a bad room. Some rooms overlook the front of the property and pool. I had a room that w...