“Lovely place for a girls retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Salamander Resort & Spa

Salamander Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middleburg
Virginia
“Lovely place for a girls retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Just spent one night there with some old girl friends. Have to say it was absolutely lovely. Everything is so fresh and clean and the decor is stunning. Love the minute horse detailing in almost every element. The pool was so peaceful. Will definitely return!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
We are delighted to hear that you and the girls had a wonderful weekend! Thank you for sharing this lovely review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I heard from friends who previously stay at Salamander that the experience just wasn't worth the price. My wife and I stayed one night, rooms are nice but overprices, the building is a bit quirky, it did present as a high end resort. The food was okay in taste, just over priced. I'm not afraid of price, was just in Rome at a very high end restaurant with higher prices, but they delivered the quality of meal and service and it was an awesome experience. My wife didn't even try the spa.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Fleosco
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We truly value the opinions of our guests and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Providing our guests with the best possible luxury hospitality and service has always been our mission. We want your experience to more than okay, we want it to be extraordinary and leave you and your wife feeling refreshed, relaxed and happy. We want you to know that we are launching a new spring and summer menu in our restaurants and we will use your comments in our ongoing service trainings. If you come back and give us a another try, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask feel free to reach out directly at gm@salamanderresort.com . We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.
Loudoun County, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The bread on the sandwiches was stale. The salad was terribly overpriced for the small amount given. The desserts were very nice, though. Service was never trained properly and as a result, items were forgotten, apologies never given. Lovely resort and grounds. No expense spared. Should spend some time on correct training for servers. Oh, and when we went to the ladies room, no hand towels in the basket. Had to wave our hands around to air dry them! Not the experience we expected.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank winelvr83
Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review with specific examples of where we failed to meet your expectations and the compliments on our desserts. I apologize for the lapses in service you encountered at Gold Cup Wine Bar and assure you this is not a typical experience at Salamander Resort.
I will make sure to address the service issues – as well as the stale bread - with the Gold Cup manager personally to ensure that our staff is properly trained to provide the exemplary service we pride ourselves on. If you have any further concerns or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me at gm@salamanderresort.com
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I are happy to pay premium prices for an amazing hotel experience but, as much as we wanted to relax and enjoy the long holiday weekend, this is not what we received at Salamander. While the location and some amenities were excellent, we expected to have a nearly flawless and stress-free getaway for upwards of $500 per night. The check-in experience was perfect - very professional and what we would expect for a resort this expensive. However, after that, we felt nickel-and-dimed by this place - as other commenters have noted, there are additional fees for almost everything other than the room. We paid $65 each to attend a Memorial Day barbecue and expected this to include drinks, but wine, beer, and even soft drinks entailed an additional $4-6 each! The food was delicious, but I consumed maybe $20 worth; meanwhile, the advertised children's activity for the barbecue also was not included, but somehow merited an additional $15 so the kids could scribble with markers on a picture frame. The ice cream social, which was advertised as part of the Memorial Day package, cost $8 for two scoops of supermarket ice cream. It was very hot and no outdoor tables were covered, so we did not even stay past an hour. Further, we found there was a $15 fee per day for parking; a $40 fee to enjoy one of the pools at the resort; a $25 corkage fee per bottle to enjoy your own wine on the veranda (this seems silly when the staff encourages visits to nearby vineyards); even more fees to attend the fitness classes; and so on. We began to joke that we'd have to pay per ride on the elevator or to ask the front desk a question. Speaking of, we had to call the front desk repeatedly just to get our room cleaned after the staff skipped it by accident, and each time, instead of being apologetic, the clerk was rude and even hung up on us once.

Service at the outdoor pool was pretty appalling: we were there for three hours, and the staff checked on us twice, but never provided a menu. Other couples had the same issue. We think that part of the problem was that there were high-profile clients sitting right next to us, and the staff were constantly flitting over to see how they were doing; the irony was that even these folks ended up having to wait for 30 minutes for a virgin strawberry daquiri for their young son, who apparently had low blood sugar and needed it relatively quickly. Again, as other commenters have noted, the source of the slowness was not immediately apparent, as staff were milling about everywhere.

The issue that really was the final nail in the coffin for us was the service on the veranda for drinks and dinner. Firstly, a server told us that there was no outdoor seating system even though it is considered to be part of the restaurant (hence the corkage fee) - beware, you have to pounce on your own table there! Once you've awkwardly waited until someone leaves and then run over and jumped in their seats, the servers come over immediately to take orders for drinks that, for us, did not arrive for 20 minutes or longer. Again, other couples were having similar issues and many people left. Food takes much longer: our second night there, we ordered food at 7 PM, and had to become a bit irate with the servers when it did not arrive by 9 PM. Food finally came around 10, but it was not good. Our server seemed competent and was very friendly and apologetic, but we suspected that the problem was somewhere else once our server became so frustrated that the food for several of her patrons was not forthcoming that she began to cry. After a long conversation with the manager, he offered to send food to our room and comp our bill, which he did. The manager seemed legitimately concerned and really wanted to make it right, but by then we were so frustrated and hungry that we had made up our minds.

I will say that we had a fantastic time on our trail ride at the equestrian center. The staff were friendly and professional, and the horses and the trail were lovely. It was by far the highlight of our stay.

We are not the sort of people who normally complain or write reviews, but our experience was so terrible that we were significantly more stressed out when we left than when we arrived. We thought that the hotel would offer to comp our stay entirely, but the clerk happily charged us about $1200 for the privilege of enduring their resort for two days, and did not even ask us how our stay was. In the end, we really could not believe that, for that kind of price, things like using both pools were not included. If we had paid $200 per night, we would not be writing this review. We will certainly not be returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Rachel M
TMatheu, General Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Rachel,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate the time you took to detail your experience at the property. Obviously, I am dismayed to hear about your experiences at the property - throughout the entire experience. It is not our intent to nickel and dime our guests, but rather to offer many options for them to partake in during their stay at the resort. Through your recapping of the dining experiences - both at the pool and on the Grand Terrace, I myself became frustrated, so I can only imagine what you must have felt. As the season grows and these areas are opened again to guests, we will continue to bring in new staff, train, and develop the service atmosphere in these spaces. At this time we have decided to keep the outside seating as a first come basis - we want everyone to leisurely be able to take advantage of the beautiful weather. Waiting 20 minutes for a cocktail is far too long, and I have personally addressed this with the staff. Though I was happy to hear that the manager had taken the time to address the issue while you were there, I was sorry to hear that by then you were too frustrated.

I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you further about your stay, and invite you to contact me directly at gm@salamanderresort.com.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

What a beautiful facility but everything after that was a diappointment. Service in all areas of the bar and dining were terrible. Food was average at best. The spa "ran out of lockers" for a $250.00 massage. I asked for a comment card they indicated they did not have any. That says it all.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank c m
GMatSalamander, General Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your concerns regarding your recent visit. I would love the opportunity to speak with you regarding your rather disappointing trip to Salamander Resort & Spa. Could you please contact me directly at gm@salamanderresort.com?
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I don't mind paying well for a resort but the experience needs to be nearly flawless. I arrived a day early for a friend's birthday weekend, because I knew none my friends wanted to ride. I had emailed the week before asking to reserve a trail ride for the morning after my arrival; I realized I had never received a response when I checked in and they knew nothing about it. The stables called me about an hour later to inform me that nothing was available until the afternoon, when we already had spa appointments. They claimed to have never received my email (from a corporate email account), which seems quite unlikely in 2014.

The spa is lovely and I had a great massage. The spa pool is also quite nice. My friends stayed another day and had to use the main pool, which was, not surprisingly, full of kids and not very relaxing for them.

The dinner at Harriman's was generally very good, however, they could not find our first and second choices on the wine list - and it was nothing obscure. That's just unacceptable. After dinner, we had a great time with the "takeout" s'mores at one of the fire pits, and met some very interesting people. I do think the restaurant and bar prices are quite reasonable compared to other resorts.

Staff are very friendly and welcoming, and the property and rooms are lovely. They just need to work out some of the kinks - although eight months after opening, they shouldn't still be in learning mode.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to review your recent visit. We pride ourselves on providing the best service to all of our guests and we fell short during your visit. We sincerely apologize. If at all possible, could you please email me at gm@salamanderresort.com so we can discuss your trip to our resort in greater depth?
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I absolutely love Salamander Resort and Spa. I had an excellent experience at the spa. I received a manicure/pedicure from Twee and she was great. I also had a Well Being Massage from Kerry and he did an excellent job. I feel asleep that's how good the massage was for me. I also had an opportunity to go on a One Hour Horse Tour and it was absolutely breathtaking and relaxing. Amanda was a great tour guide and very personable. I had an opportunity to eat at The Market Salamander and the sandwich I had was fresh and delicious. The only thing that needs improvement is service at The Gold Cup Wine Bar. It took a while for the server to take my order and when I finished my meal and was ready to pay my server was nowhere in site and I actually had to go and find the hostess so I could pay my bill. Throughout the day the service staff continuously checked on me to see if I was fine. I love that! I would recommend Salamander Resort and Spa to anyone needing to relax and get a way for a trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please know I have shared all of your comments (both good and not so good) with our team and we will incorporate them into our continuous training. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our Spa and we hope you will dine with us again and to see our improvement.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleburg
Airlie
Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
#1 of 8 in Middleburg

Been to Salamander Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!