“Lovely overnight getaway”

Salamander Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middleburg
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My husband and I live 40 minutes from Middleburg. We went to the Salamander for an overnight getaway and were not disappointed. The resort itself is beautiful. We were greeted by several staff members. The check in process was easy and smooth. Our room was ready when we got there (at 3pm). Two bellman (very young boys/men) escorted us to our room and along the way explained various features of the resort. They also showed us around our room, clearly using a canned, rehearsed script. I thought it was overkill to have TWO people taking us to our room, but perhaps one was training the other. Either way, we appreciated the attentiveness. The room was very lovely. Beautifully furnished, very large, and very comfortable.

Throughout our stay, EVERY staff member that passed us anywhere on the property was friendly and helpful. Particularly at the fitness center where they remembered our names each time we were there (3 - 4 times during our 36 hour stay). We checked in on a Friday and, unlike other people's experience, had no trouble booking a spa treatment for the next day, Saturday. We did the couples razul - a mud treatment - and it was very nice. The spa itself is lovely, and use of the infinity pool area was a nice bonus. Despite the rain, we were able to relax under cover on very comfortable lounge chairs for a couple hours. But because of the rain, they had stopped food service for the day and, although we were able to order a cocktail there, it took about 40 minutes to arrive. In their defense, we were told it would be a while.

The main area of the resort / lobby area is spacious and beautiful. Plenty of comfortable seating areas. The library has lots of books and board games (monopoly, chess, scrabble, etc) for people to enjoy. There is a piano in the center lobby area and on Friday night there was a piano player and singer. The Gold Cup bar also has lots of comfy seating, TVs, a pool table. Very welcoming and comfortable.

With everything being only 1 year old, the condition of the resort is exemplary. But we could not help but wonder... if we come back in 5 years, will everything still be as nice? Time will tell how they keep up with maintenance and updates.

As some other reviewers wrote, we did have a small problem with our bill at check-out. They double-charged us for the drinks we had at the spa pool. They took care of it no problem, but only after I was fairly insistent that we could not have possibly had two charges of exactly 35.94 on the same afternoon (YES, 2 cocktails at the pool were $35.94 -- pricey!). Be sure to check your bill carefully.

I would give the resort overall a B+/ A-.

The grounds, a B. Not many walking trails as we expected. Family pool a short walk from the hotel and seems a little disjointed. As another reviewer wrote, the back of the resort looks like it could be the back of a holiday inn.

The service a B+. As other reviewers have written, the service is a bit unpolished, but some of that is probably due to the age of the staff (so many youngsters -- maybe a summer thing), along with the newness of the resort. But everyone is very friendly and attentive, nonetheless. They're trying hard!

The food, a B. Our dinner at Harriman's was over $300. And I would say the food was not up to that price. The steaks were just ok. Appetizers just ok as well. I actually sent back a shrimp appetizer that was not acceptable because of a fishy smell. Everything seemed to be very saucy and a little on the salty side. I think they're trying to be an A+ restaurant, but they fall just short. The breakfast buffet was great. Again, though, pricey -- $90 for two for breakfast! Luckily I had purchased the breakfast package so we ended up getting it for only $40 extra.

Overall, despite the price and a very few missteps along the way, we had a lovely time there. As my husband said, however, when we are together, we always have a lovely time.

Given the price ($450+ for the room), I would say this is B+/ A- resort experience at an A+++ price.

We really did enjoy our time. Would we go back? With so many other places to visit, not sure we would race back there. Maybe we would visit the spa for the day, eat dinner in Middleburg and drive back home. $450/night is just so overpriced.

1  Thank Barbara W
GMatSalamander, General Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great detailed review for other travelers. We are so pleased to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your overnight "getaway"with us. We have shared your review with all of our service professionals, as we love to hear about the great experiences our guests have staying with us. I have also shared your critiques with our staff so we can continue to improve. We hope to have the pleasure of you and your husband's company again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Middleburg is a beautiful surrounding and Salamander Resort is perfectly located to explore, All staff were excellent.....very friendly & helpful . Beautiful environment and very comfortable. Wonderful time horseback riding with our guide Lilly, who was highly professional and very friendly. Hannah, our enthusiastic and knowledgeable waitress , made for a special evening while we enjoyed a great meal.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking some time to share your comments with others. We pride ourselves on hiring the best service professionals possible and we appreciate the time you took to recognize them. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time at Salamander Resort & Spa and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I highly recommend the Salamander. Their customer service was excellent and the food was wonderful. We opted for the breakfast package, and I would highly recommend that option.

We loved our stay and can't wait to return.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you come back for another visit soon!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The resort is beautiful and relaxing. We chose this resort because it was dog friendly, however, only the guest rooms are dog friendly. Sitting in the lobby with your dog is prohibited and anywhere else on the resort other than the outside. So, if the weather is not best for being outside, then you will be stuck in your room if you want your pooch to be with the family and have a good time. Also, unless you know a week in advance what day and time exactly you want a service from the spa and make an appointment, you are not going to be able to use the spa. Even though we were there in the middle of the week, the spa was full for our whole stay and had no availabilities. Overall, it is a very beautiful place to visit and relax a couple of day at. There are a lot of vineyards, little antique shops and little restaurants around that you should definitely visit if you go to Salamander Resort.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank yasimas

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please know I have shared your comments with our staff and we will incorporate them into our continuous training. Our Reservations team goes through our Pet Policy when guest's are booking their stay with us. We apologize that you were not given adequate information about where pets have access and where they do not at Salamander Resort & Spa. We most certainly are dog friendly, but some guests may be apprehensive about any pet that is in their general surroundings, so to assure them comfort we have set up guidelines and a policy so all our guests can enjoy the resort at the same time.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed here for an overnight after our main vacation as neither of us was ready to return to the real world. This place has the feel of a luxury English hotel. It reminded me of DeVere Hotels in England. The way EVERY staff member interacts with a client leaves you feeling a personal touch.

Our room was wonderful, unfortunately we did not use the ornate bath tub but it looked wonderful. We sat out on the balcony and spent an hour or two relaxing. We then went through to the bar and enjoyed a sampler of local wines.

Dinner in the bar is the reason this review does not get 5 stars. We ordered the steak, while the cut and cook were wonderful the chef had way over seasoned the meat with salt. Seriously I ordered a glass of wine with my meal, and I never drank it instead I had SIX glasses of water. In hindsight I should have returned it. We did mention to the waiter about the high salt taste and he did inform us that this is a complaint he has heard before. The table next to us did return there meal. So this to me does not reflect well on the kitchen. I believe that meat should be cooked with very light seasoning and allow the guest to season to their own tastes. Along with that salt is know to not he heart healthy, so Chef I hope you are reading this please reduce the amount of salt you use.

Following morning we went out on the new Zip line course and what a blast. The staff were very friendly and very well informed and confidant in their abilities as guides. A great experience, we had a mixed group of people and the staff were great at interacting with them. Staff were even willing to listen to small technical corrections offered to them, like not side loading karabiners. Overall a great experience.

All in all a very nice retreat. We will be going back, and will be curious to try the steak again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for sharing your recommendations with us. We value your feedback and honored to have you both as our guests recently. I am terrible sorry to hear about the food and service short falls you faced during your visit. Please be assured that we are continually training and working to improve our culinary offerings and options. Please know that I have shared your comments with our Food and Beverage team for consideration. Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I had so many problems: 1. Not knowing whether there was kids camp the following day since they did not know whether they had enough kids (they need three). 2. The few common areas being used for private parties (very untasteful since resort area inside is rather small). 3. Food not that great. 4. The staff is very nice and the do help a lot when you see all this negative stuff going on and the place is pleasant and pretty. The Yappy Hour and Recreational stuff was fun however the hotel compared to the July 4th weekend seems to be going down the hill. 5. Spa is crowded and had one person working when we were like 25 women there. 6. No more perks like complementary champagne and coffee (no starbucks) like before, etc, etc. 6. I hope they improve it since it is a pretty location with a lot of potential. 7. We had a better time in July, not sure whats going on.

Room Tip: stained sheets were not cleaned until I told them too, maid made the bed with stained sheets!!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank barredani

Our staff and management care deeply about our service, product, and guests experience. No amount of apology can make this better, but please know we are truly sorry to have let you down. We want to make this up to you and show you that we are a destination capable of exceeding even your highest expectation. Please contact me directly, and I will make sure that all of the described situations have been looked into gm@salamanderresort.com

Reviewed 22 August 2014

My mother and I took a much needed getaway together to treat ourselves for Mother's Day and our birthdays. We started off our trip at the Equestrian Center. The staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. The ride was a bit boring and too short but was fun to ride a horse. We were greeted at check in by a very friendly and helpful staff. We were greeted by Troy and Kirkland outside who helped us with our bags and were nothing but smiles. Melaina and Chelsea at the front desk were more than knowledgeable and super friendly, even offering us a glass of wine to start our stay there as we waited for our room. The thing that impressed me the most about our stay at the spa was that there was never a "no, we can't do that" response. It was always, "Sure, we can do that. Or sure, we can make that happen." For instance, when we went to the spa and were waiting in their lobby, a staff member handed us a menu because we said we had missed breakfast. I misread the juicetails part of the menu, and said aloud that a smoothie would be a wonderful way to start my day. Instead of telling me that they didn't have smoothies on the menu, the staff member went out of her way to get a smoothie made in the kitchen and brought it to us. I didn't realize until later, when looking at the menu again, that the juicetails were just alcoholic beverages with freshly squeezed juice in them. The facilities were top notch. The staff really do ensure that you are relaxed and feel welcome. I loved how everyone just gathered and chilled around the veranda in the main building. Though the place was wildly popular during the holiday weekend we were there, I never felt like I had to wait long for anything or that we were unattended to. I absolutely loved my spa experience. Brian was super friendly, put me at ease and gave the best scrub and massage. I have been recommending him to everyone who asks about my experience there since posting about it on Facebook. I will definitely go back there again for a girls weekend, or maybe even an anniversary night. I love how there is a little piece of heaven tucked in the countryside just 30 minutes from my doorstep!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather B
GMatSalamander, General Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for advising other travelers of some tips for their future stays. Also, thank you for your kind words about your spa treatments and our staff. We are delighted that you were able to enjoy the property during your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleburg
Airlie
#2 of 8 in Middleburg
Inn at Evergreen
Inn at Evergreen
#1 of 1 in Haymarket

Been to Salamander Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!