“Excellent staff”

The Chequers
Price range: US$27 - US$53
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A country pub & restaurant overlooking the Green offering modern British cruisine with Mediterranean twist using the freshest ingredients. Homemade and where possible sourced locally including vegetables from their local allotment and fresh herbs grown in the Restaurant's herb garden. The Chequers is located in the heart of the delightful village of Matching Green on the Herts / Essex border not far from the M11. It is very much part of local the community.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A warm welcome and excellent service throughout. Waited a little long for our mains but it was ok as we were busy chatting. food is very tasty and the menu is quite simple and plenty of choice for us all. The cocktails are delicious try the Grey goose fizz yummy. lovely visit.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Family dinner a few months back was good - service was fantastic and the cocktails really nice. I was a bit underwhelmed with my lobster tail special - they were just a bit chewy, but my pasta starter was incredible! My family thoroughly enjoyed their meals, the service was the right mix of highly attentive and friendly but not intrusive.

We've been back a few times just for drinks and I always have the rhubarb and ginger mocktail which is delicious. Would thoroughly recommend it for dinner - I didn't complain at the time about my lobster so that's my fault, given how brilliant their service was then and everytime since, I imagine they would have handled it very professionally.
I'd happily come back for a meal and drinks. Certainly a finer dining experience than some of pubs around here.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

We booked a table and arrived at 12.30pm, the restaurant was relatively empty. We asked the lady who seated us if we could sit in the conservatory, (it was empty), she said, very surly, “all those tables have been requested”. I replied that we did book a couple of weeks ago and surely it is first come. She was very abrupt. We stayed in the half empty restaurant.
The main reason for visiting was to have a seafood platter which we have always enjoyed. Upon looking at the menu we found that the seafood platter was not there. We asked a waiter and he said “it is a special menu today as it is a bank holiday”!!!! We were very disappointed.
We ordered the oriental platter for £22.50, hardly enough for 2 people and just a lot of deep fried tasteless rubbish.
My husband had the mussels at £10.50, he said they were covered in a tomato sauce that took away any taste of the few mussels that were on the plate.
The mains were all very much overpriced, small portions and the meals were all warm.
Throughout our meal which lasted about 2 hours the conservatory had tables available for the whole time. I found the surly waitress that seated us and made the comment that there had been available tables in the conservatory throughout our lunch. She just shrugged, not at all interested. Did not even try to justify her actions.
None of the waiters looked happy or pleased to be serving people. We never saw a smile from anyone, even when they delivered the bill for £164 for 4 mains 2 starters and no deserts. One bottle of wine and a couple of beers!!! Way Overpriced
Be warned and check what menu is available on the day you want to go.

1  Thank mum5035
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

This is our second visit- unfortunately this time not as good as the first.

The setting is lovely on a warm day, sat on the terrace.

Service excellent. Welcoming, attentive and the food comes out quickly.

Food overpriced for the quality of the cooking. Pate priced at 9.50 nothing special. The toast it came with no better than shop bought.

Lamb main under seasoned but the cabbage accompaniment was very nice. Lamb was also tender.

Cheesecake dessert no better than what you would get from any chain pub. Quite dry as it didn’t come with a sauce or ice cream.

My partner enjoyed her pasta main.

We probably wouldn’t choose to visit again with the total per head.

Reviewed 6 May 2018

Went for a midweek lunch with friends and were not disappointed. We arrived early and had a great conversation with the bar staff who were very knowledgeable regarding the gins they had. We opted for the 3 course set menu at £16.50 and it didn't disappoint.

All the staff were very pleasant and nothing was to much trouble. Anyone wishing for a lovely lunch in the great setting of Matching Green would be silly not to visit this place.