“My daughter and I loved it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montebello
Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort
“My daughter and I loved it”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I can only speak for my own experiences at Montebello Camping & Fishing resort. As for negative reviews I can only say make sure you do you're homework. I came across this little camp ground 7 years ago when I lived in Staunton. I didn't stay here until the first week of August this year with my 12 year old daughter. We stayed in the seven ridges cabin and thoroughly enjoyed our vacation this year. The beds were awesome and we didn't want to get up. The front porch and everything about the cabin was wonderful. The staff was wonderful and friendly and was willing to help out with anything we needed. I spoke to one of the caretakers of the camp everyday. We built a fire in the fire pit and had a great time exploring the trails. We spent most of our time off the mountain but could have easily spent a few more days just relaxing at the cabin. My daughter was so sad to leave. I was equally as shocked when I read the negative reviews because our experience was a totally night and day experience. I'm sorry for those that didn't get the experience we did but thankful for us it was one of our best vacations together. Next time my daughter wants to stay in one of the two recent built cabins, go horseback riding and visit crabtree falls.

Room Tip: Seven Ridges Cabin: We had plenty of hot water but the pressure sometimes fluxuates. Remember you...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank FaithDriven

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I chose this place to go fishing and hiking. I had three 18 year old boys with me. Very nice staff and the country store had everything we needed. We did all our fishing in the "lake" which was actually just a large pond. The brim and perch were very active. We saw catfish but didn't catch any. The surrounding area provides all the hiking trails you could ever ask for. I highly recommend you stay here at least once.

Stayed August 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I just read the other views posted and am surprised by the negativity. We stayed in the new Spy Rock cabin July 4th weekend and was extremely pleased with our experience. The cabin was very cozy and conveniently located to the store and lake. This is a family owned campground and, where other smaller campgrounds may have a problem with rowdiness on a holiday weekend, we did not experience anything of the sort. Montebello is the perfect resort for those actually trying to "get away" instead of those trying to go someplace else to be entertained. The location is perfect for nature lovers because it is a hop from Crabtree Falls (a beautiful hike) and a skip from the Blue Ridge Parkway (2 miles for picturesque scenery). Honestly, if you are expecting an overcrowded KOA-type campground with overcrowded amenities, this is not the place for you!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Erica J
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were initially excited to get a spot in this campground as my kid loves to fish, we all love to hike and especially enjoy the peace and quiet of the mountains.

Don't go to this campground for any peace and quiet. I understand family enjoyment, etc., but the drunken, loud unruly had a place to go for Memorial Day weekend and this was the place.

The campground itself is barely "ok." The campsites are one on top of another with little to no privacy and the facilities are subpar. For a campground this size they really need more than two showers in their one comfort station. Every time I went into the bath house it was dirty with trash on the shower floors and the paper towel rolls just sitting on the ledge above the sink, wet halfway through. I saw more than one camper letting their grey water vent directly out onto the ground. It seems they're putting more into building cabins than maintaining or improving the campground itself.

All the reviews I read generally said something about the customer service at the store and let me tell you, they aren't kidding. I would not label any of the ladies working there as "friendly." Maybe they think they are, but anything requiring more than a one word answer is cutting into their day and they don't seem to be up to it.

One bright spot was the campground host is pretty cool and very helpful and on top of requests.

Room Tip: I hit "rooms" and it wouldn't let me uncheck it. My camper is excellent.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Matthew S

Travellers are raving about these Montebello hotels

Any Where
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Nothing special about the campground itself. Mostly for campers and such. Kind of rough for tent camping though we made do. The spots are on top of each other with limited privacy. It is at a nice altitude and was cool in July. Very nice bathhouse, tile and good ventilation. NO ODORS or humidity in bathhouse. Camp store had lots of items for those that one may have forgotten. I would return during week days when they are less crowded.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Termite B
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I visited this campground this past weekend which was 7/12-13/2013. I'm a motorcyclist that likes to camp & figured this to be a good spot to park for the weekend... right off of one of my favorite motorcycle roads in VA... Rte 56. My riding partner arrived before me & was very specific with the lady handling the desk that we were on bikes, would be tenting & we would like a site that is easy for us to access. We'd like an electric site so we could charge our phones & communicators, also. I arrived several hours after him. I couldn't tell much about the campgrounds until morning. Saturday morning I discovered the campground was tight... as in the sites are very close together. Ok, deal with it. We ride for the day & arrive back that afternoon. I decided to go buy wood & ice. I discover the wood is $5.99 for a very small bundle. I'm talking 5 decent sized pieces of wood to a bundle. After complaining I sucked it up & bought 2 bundles. One with decent sized sticks & one with smaller pieces to make it easier to light a fire. I go outside to retrieve the wood to load onto my bike & the bundles are so poorly tied together I just threw one of the bundles into the parking lot piece by piece & loaded it on the bike unbundled. The other bundle I precariously balanced after much coaxing & got it to the bike. Gather ice & go back to campground. Look to plug in my cycle communicator & electric was 220 volts ONLY. How many motorcycles do you know that carry 220 volt anything? It seemed that surrounding sites had 115. Needless to say I was irritated by this a lot... & especially after we had paid for a site where we could use electricity. Made nice with a neighbor & he charged my communicator for me from a wall outlet on his trailer. We cooked dinner, ate & decided to go ahead & start our fire. My riding partner joked that we only had enough wood for about an hour's worth of fire. Well in all actuality, the fire took an hour and 1/2 to get lit & only lit because one of our neighbors took pity on us seeing us trying to light this WET WOOD & gave us some dry pieces to get the fire rolling.

Talking about the rest of the campsite... the bathrooms appeared clean & they were well lit. There were times that I visited the facilities & there were no hand towels or toilet paper. There were no benches outside of the bathrooms to dry your feet & put your shoes on & they could really use fold down benches or something like that in the shower stalls. The roads were heavily, heavily rutted. I understand there was heavy rain that went through the area the past week... but there was no attempts at fixing them. Glad that I managed to keep my bike upright.

Room Tip: Don't expect a lot when you visit.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Heidi Y
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Found Montebello two weeks before Memorial Day Weekend. They had one spot open; we took it. That Mem Day Weekend was a really cold one (May 2013) and was too cold to take our 2 year old tent camping in. We called the morning of our reservation and they allowed us to move our reservation to the July 4 weekend.
It was great of them to remind us of our options when we though we had to cancel. (Its actually written on their website. I just missed it).

Room Tip: If you want privacy pay a little bit more for a water/electric hook-up site (even if you only have a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montebello
Best Western Plus Inn at Hunt Ridge
The Mark Addy
The Mark Addy
#1 of 1 in Nellysford
Fox Hill Bed & Breakfast Suites

Been to Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort? Share your experiences!