“Unhelpful staff and Dirty Room, but creepy if you're a ghost hunter”
Review of Highland Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monterey
Highland Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Monterey B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2011

This is a historic hotel. I fully understood It was not going to have the amenities of a modern hotel but hoped it would make up for it with charm. Instead, It fell very short.
My room needed paint badly. It was creepy. The bed was small and lumpy. The decorating was very eighties with fragments of wall paper boarders, old junk tv, and dusty knick-knacks. Huge gross hair tumbleweeds in the bathroom shampoo basket.
I tried to go to restaurant. I walked into the loud packed dining room and no one greeted or seated me. I finally just sat down. Someone eventually came over and told me that the restaurant was closed. I was stuck in my room eating depressing gas station food listening to all the other guests and the hotel employees eating, drinking, and partying in the restaurant till late into the night, many hours after my attempt to be served. It was weird and rude.
I am a happy-go lucky traveler. I love quirky old hotels! This one just made me sad.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank MotorGypsy
Roadmaster96, Owner at Highland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2011

We truly are sorry that a guest did not enjoy their stay. But since a specific incident was mention we believe it best to respond to it specifically.

I admit the one wall picture does not look very flattering when taken with a flash, paint repairs show up. The other two pictures are representative of what our smaller rooms look like if you take a picture with hardly any of the lights on. The room does have three lamps, one on each side of the bed and one on the dresser. You may wish to compare it to a lighted picture on our website. We don’t doctor them. There are also pictures of some of our larger rooms if you don’t mind paying a little more. If a guest says they are on government business, the reduced rate allows them just the smaller rooms.

When rooms this size were built in the early 1900’s they were pretty much just used to sleep in. Most guests would use the downstairs parlor or spend their time on the long balcony outside. But we add things that most people prefer to have in modern times. We do have TV’s, coffee makers and bathrooms added to all our rooms, even the smallest ones. TV’s have a remote although the station choice out here is very limited.

The guest is also somewhat correct regarding their restaurant experience. We stop seating at 8pm and place a closed sign on the door. Since I was with the group she alluded to, I am able to speak first hand of the situation. A guest did come to the door after we had closed. The person stood in the door for a few seconds and left. We would not have had a staff member watching the door if we were already closed. Although the guest was at the door, they did not sit and were not asked to leave. We did still have patrons eating who had come in before closing time. I thought the person had read the closed sign but I got up anyway and went to the lobby to see if they needed assistance. I did not see anyone in the lobby so I returned to my group. It happens often that patrons and guests like to explore our public areas and restaurant so I did not think this person was doing more than looking around.

The people the guest referred to were not employees but were also guests. Our staff does not “party” at the Inn. Although my brother lives in Alexandria, he arranged for some friends from California and North Carolina to visit him and stay at our Inn. He did this knowing that the economic times are difficult and April was a great time to drum up some business for us. We were glad for the visit and when they invited us to join them for dinner, my wife and I were pleased to accept, providing they could wait until it was almost closing time for the restaurant.

My wife and I do think it was important for our dinner guests to have an enjoyable time, and did make special arrangements for them to visit together afterwards in the Tavern. We would have certainly tried to address any concerns this guest had as well, if we knew they were in any way unhappy. Although we are small and staff might have multiple duties, we do have phones on all floors and at the front desk that automatically call the staff member on duty. Within moments we can be present to assist any guest.

Reviewed 24 October 2010

The Highland is still an exceptional place. I swear I feel like I'm stepping into my Grandmothers house when I walk through the doors of the Inn. It has an amazing comfortable feel to the place. I was there with a group of MINI Cooper owners and this was our second year at the Inn. The staff is amazing to work with and was very acommodating. The food is a treat as well. Chef Lisa's Trout is simply amazing. Like I said before, you can have all those stuffy, high priced hotels. I'll take the Highland anytine!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maacodale
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We love coming to the Highland Inn every March for the Maple Festival as a family. This is a very special place since my husband and I met there in our singles group back in Nov of 1988. We come every year to the Maple Festival as well as trying to come in Oct to see the fall colors. My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Hotel & they had a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we got there. :^) Every Jan we celebrate our anniversary by staying at the Inn. The Inn was our weekend get-away that helped me to de-stress when we were going through a difficult time with my mother and having to get her house ready to go on the market. If it wasn't for the Inn, I think I would have gone insane. Monterey is a small town, only 1 block by 2 blocks but it's so peaceful, quiet and beautiful! Everyone knows everyone and says "hi, how ya doing?" We've been snowed in on several occasions and good thing everything is in walking distance. Chef Lisa makes the best dinners and it's the only place I will order my Rainbow Trout! Our son is Autistic and when Chef Lisa knows we are coming, she always has pasta ready for Evan. There are different things to do if one wants to stay busy...our son loves feeding the trout at the trout farm about 5 minutes down the road, there's hiking trails, visit one of the maple sugar camps, or going to Hot Springs to ski in the winter or just to shop. We like to just chill out when we are there, but during the Maple Festival there are a lot crafters and everything maple you can think of.
I've read some of the other comments on here and I would have to say to those who are use to the Holiday Inns, Hyatt's, Hampton Inn, you will be upset with the rooms since those hotel are not a step back in time. But for those of us that like comfortable, easy living, totally relaxing, great home cooking and a fabulous very helpful staff...then come on down to the Highland Inn! It's got everything we need, coffee pot, iron, internet wii-fi, TV, walk to everything, clean rooms & beds and just plain wonderful. We hope to come down this Nov as we like to celebrate my birthday at our favorite place and I know we will be there for the 2011 Maple Festival to!
Thank you for everything y'all do...Greg, Debbie and Chef Lisa (& all our friends at the Inn) You guys are family to us!
Charlotte

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Hotel needs LOTS of TLC. Dining room nice and the food was great. Ceiling repairs and paint would help the bedrooms appearance tremendously!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cochranwd
Reviewed 28 August 2010

If your idea of historical is a deteriorating old building, then you will love the Highland Inn. Don't be fooled by the charming exterior. Our room featured plaster with huge cracks. It was actually pulling away from the lathing. Repairs were in the category of "slather more on."
The room was not very clean and the bed sagged a bit in the middle.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BucketList1340
Reviewed 23 August 2010

My first visit to the Highland Inn was in 1993. At that time, it was a charming, quirky and a convenient place to stay while enjoying the Virginia Highlands. It is still all of those. The problem is, nothing has really changed in the ensuing 17 years. Really, nothing at all. It is time to re-paint the rooms, tighten up the bed frames and give the place a commercial grade cleaning from top to bottom. The deck in the back of the building would be a much more enjoyable place to relax if the paint wasn't peeling down to the bare wood.

The staff is always very nice, especially the wait staff at dinner during our last visit on Thursday, August 19. I'm sorry I can't identify her by name, as she was gracious and enthusiastic. The food; broiled trout for me and crab cakes for my wife; was good. We were disappointed that the 7 Onion Soup was unavailable that night, but the tomato bisque was an acceptable substitute.

I know discretionary travel is down. The Highland Inn needs to take care of some basics if it hopes to weather the storm. We love the area and hope to continue our annual visits to the Highland Inn for years to come.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tsvitt
Reviewed 3 April 2010

The staff and service were outstanding and very helpful in deciding where to bicycle and hike in the area. The rooms were charming and very clean, a great value! Could use a little work, but in this economy I will side with the small business owner and we still had a wonderful time. The food was great and the local trails and parks were well worth the long and winding road trip. I highly recommend this Inn and the food!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bicycletrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monterey
Silver Creek Lodge
#1 of 24 in Snowshoe
Allegheny Springs
Allegheny Springs
#2 of 24 in Snowshoe

Been to Highland Inn? Share your experiences!