“Warm and friendly welcome”

The Widow Kip's Country Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Jackson
The Widow Kip's Country Inn
Brighouse
“Warm and friendly welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

Stayed here early October 2012 for four nights. We arrived early, so sat on the porch and watched the wonderful birdlife in the garden - red cardinals included. The house is charming, as are the hosts, Bob and Betty. Nothing was too much trouble and the breakfasts were delicious every morning, especially the home made apple cinnamon syrup! We stayed in the main house, in the Marigold room, where the shower room can only be described as "cosy". You have to remember however, that 1820's houses didn't originally come with indoor plumbing. Stay here for the charm of the house and gardens, the breakfasts and the warm, friendly welcome of the owners. There is plenty to do in the area including caverns, a covered bridge, Skyline Drive and some great small towns with individual shops and restaurants. One tip is to use the smaller country roads to see some great scenery and only use the Interstate if you need yo be somewhere in a hurry. Widow Kip's is a great place to unwind.

Room Tip: All the rooms in the main house are lovely with antique furniture and beautiful quilts. The bathroo...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank k9nev

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

We stayed at Widow Kip's during a weekend trip to visit Luray Caverns. We stayed in the smaller cottage. I liked the privacy of the cottage and the decor fits with the country inn theme, but I personally thought it could use some updating. Some of the knick knacks were dusty, which made me question the cleanliness of the room, however I didn't notice any other cleanliness issues. We stayed with our dog, which they charge a pet fee like most B&Bs that accept pets. The reason I rate this stay as average is because compared to the other B&Bs we've stayed at, I felt as though Widow Kip's was lacking some amenities that we've enjoyed in the past that made us feel "at home." I think it's because we've been spoiled at other B&Bs. For example, other B&Bs left a dog bowl, towel and treats to welcome our dog. There was nothing at Widow Kips. Others have had welcome packets with maps and discounts in the room and complimentary snacks and water; I didn't see any at Widow Kips. Again, I know it sounds picky, but that's just the service I've experienced before and now expect at B&Bs. I will say the breakfast was very good and the hosts were friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

My husband and I have been visiting Widow Kip's for many years; therefore, it has become a staple in our winery travels. Betty and Bob (B&B), are down to earth and have an open door policy. Our room is always reserved and we find comfort in knowing that when we arrive we are always greeted with a smile!! In 2008, we rented to entire main house to celebrate the 4th of July, our invited friends said they were pleased with the accommodations and the grounds.

A2Z

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anita D
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

My wife and I returned to this lovely bed and breakfast for our anniversary had a wonderful stay, as expected.

This bed and breakfast is charming and rural and a great value. It isn't a full luxury experience, and you'll probably want to drive 20 minutes or so to the nearest great restaurant as we did. If you like to drive and you like curvy roads you must drive through the mountain pass over to Luray. It was like being in a car commercial. And Luray is a nice play with good restaurants and Luray Caverns are actually quite astonishing to tour, and worth the entrance fee.

The Widow Kip's is also very near Skyline Drive, which is worth doing if you like to drive or you like panoramic views from the top of mountains.

As you will see from other reviews here, the Widow Kip's allows pets to visit. We stayed in the upstairs of one of the cottages and after breakfast met our downstairs neighbors taking their two dogs for a walk.

Our previous stays here (years ago) were during the cold weather so this was the first time we spent time outside at the pool, which was very nice though we could definitely hear the highway trucks going past as we swam, which wasn't very relaxing but I was delighted to have a pool at all and wasn't expecting a luxury spa.

Breakfast here is always a treat -- Betty made us the fluffiest pancakes with local blueberries plus bacon and fruit and a few other tasty treats. I think I saw they have free WiFi now but I was on a 24 hour electronic detox and did not have a chance to check it out.

All in all, I highly recommend that anyone who likes bed and breakfasts give this place a try. I loved it the first time I visited more than ten years ago and I loved it again this time.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bart E
Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

We stayed in one of the cottage's and absolutely loved it. Very clean--comfortable--relaxing and everything you could need for the over nite stay. The host's are absolutely the best--very pleasant and charming. the highlight was the breakfast--wow wow--the whole meal was great--what a very relaxing and enjoyable weekend. WILL GO BACK AND RECOMMEND TO ALL..

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank baileybuster1
Tshwane, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

We stayed 1 night at Widow Kip's recently on the way to taking our dogs to the kennel. It was kind of a last minute thing and we were not expecting too much but it was really a nice place. The location is pretty good if you are doing the Skyline Drive. The Luses are lovely, down-to.earth friendly people and breakfast was top notch...especially for the kids. We were not expecting to bring our dogs as they were supposed to go to the kennel but it turned out the kennel was closed until the next day so we showed up in the rain, kids and dogs in tow. They never charged for the dogs and there was a great dog run in the back where we walked the dogs (off the leash). We never noticed the highway, which others complained of, and while the furnishings were not my style I still thought it quaint, nicely done, clean and roomy (which is very important with kids). Widow Kip's has charm (as do its owners) and comfort and I would happily return when doing the Skyline drive or other Shenandoah destinations.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank finny123
Traverse City, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

We found this b&b by chance....we stayed in one of the cottages and couldn't be happier....the bed was soo comfy...it was pretty quiet...the pool was a nice perk...the owners were incredibly friendly and helpful and hospitable...the breakfast was amazing..i even took pictures of the food...loved our stay ....thank you ....would recommend!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 9 in Luray
Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley
Super 8 Mount Jackson/New Market Area

Been to The Widow Kip's Country Inn? Share your experiences!