“Well maintained/run/organized”

Mount Vernon Admission Ticket
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Come share the fascinating moments of America’s first family with yours at George Washington’s Mount Vernon. Explore the beautiful mansion and grounds and get to know the man, the ideas and the values that founded a nation. Dive into history through action-packed theaters, fascinating exhibits and meet characters from Washington’s world. Admire the view of the peaceful Potomac, or hop on board a sightseeing cruise. It’s a place where history truly comes to life.
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Mt.Vernon is a pleasant distance from the traffic and crowds of DC. It is steeped in history, artifacts, displays and activities. Its a wonderful way to spend a day. They do a great job offering things for all ages and interests. They have a nice gift shop/bookstore. The food on property is better than average for museum type offerings. The displays are all top notch and very informative. The staff is all helpful and kind. I would advise anyone with the least interest in this to give it a days attention!

1  Thank kimflwrpwr
RebeccaMV, Public Relations Manager at George Washington's Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you so much for the kind review. We strive to provide a fun, educational experience for all ages, so it's great to hear we are doing our job. Glad you liked the food as well!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,964)
All reviews
in 111 reviews
"dc area"
in 131 reviews

Reviewed 23 August 2014

After being welcomed at Mount Vernon with a mural that includes the Parson Weems made-up story about George and the cherry tree (what bad taste to include this in the mural), I didn't expect too much from the visit. The gardens were quite wonderful however, and we should have stopped there after walking and sitting in the upper and lower gardens. Instead we went to tour the house, and I felt like an object on an assembly line as groups were passed from person to person, each one giving their 3 minute potted talk. Compared to museum and famous house tours in other countries, this was worse by far. They should take a few trips themselves and see how other people do it (like the Anne Frank House for instance)! I don't recommend it...

1  Thank allan m

Thank you very much for your visit and review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your tour of the mansion. Mount Vernon plays host to over one million visitors every year. As a result, our tour of the mansion must move at a crisper pace than most other historic homes in order to allow all of our daily guests to see it. I apologize that you felt rushed. Our docents are extremely knowledgeable and care deeply about sharing the history of George Washington and his home - so I am sorry this did not come across in your tour.

Glad that you enjoyed the gardens. If you choose to come back, I would encourage to explore our new museum & education center as well. Our specialty tours and after hours events are also a great opportunity to learn more about Washington and escape the crowds.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is a beautiful home of Thomas Jefferson it is wonderfully restored and has manicured lawns the exhibits are first rate and very informative.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I am making an effort this summer to explore places near my Northern VA home. I have lived here for almost 20 years and have never been to George's home. My children (8 and 3) along with my aunt spent a lovely afternoon. Though a sultry August afternoon, we enjoyed seeing the mansion and the visitor's center was very nice (air conditioned) and the kids enjoyed the movie that had some special effects. The 3 year old limited our ability to see the whole property but we got the gist in about 2 hours. My 8 year old LOVED the kids map with riddle and eagerly filled it in to get her prize (a patch) in the gift shop as we left.
Wonderful family friendly and educational afternoon.

2  Thank Maribeth B

Thank you for the review. So pleased that you were able to finally visit Mount Vernon - and that the whole family enjoyed themselves. The 4-D movie is definitely a highlight for children and adults alike. Thanks very much for visiting!

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband took my son and I here this past weekend because he had some time off, and we were thoroughly impressed. We purchased our tickets in advance (tip: you don't have to print your tickets at home. You can show them on your phone the purchase and they can give you hard copies at the ticket office. Only do that, though, if there isn't a lot of people or you want to buy the guidebook) for the 10 o' clock tour, so we got there early to explore the grounds. I highly recommend getting to Mount Vernon early because there is nowhere near that many people like there is later in the day. Our son is only fourteen months old, so we had a dilemma: stroller or hiking back pack? For families with little ones, I recommend both! We used the hiking back pack for the house tour (be prepared to be fully conscious of how much space you take up!!! You have to really concentrate on how you walk because you may knock into a wall or smack your kid's head on a door way!!!) because our little guy likes to run if he is on our own. A stroller is perfect for the rest of the grounds, but I would recommend using the hiking back pack or baby wearing gadget if you want to go all the way out to the wharf and Pioneer Farm. Going back to the house tour, the 15 to 20 minute tour Mount Vernon does on busy days is the perfect amount of time for the house. Instead of sending you through the house with one tour guide, they just have someone in every room to tell you about where you are standing and to answer your questions (you won't really have the time to do that, though). We also did the Through My Eyes tour, which I completely loved because I love period dress and re-enactment stuff. Only do this if you know your kids will make it through it! My poor husband had to take our son and walk him around because he couldn't stand sitting still to listen to the lady. If you can, try to avoid eating at the food court because its pretty expensive for what you get. If you can't, split a meal to keep the cost down. The museum and the education center were fantastic, and make sure you leave plenty of time to go through those two parts of the grounds because you will get a better look at not only Mount Vernon, but of George Washington's personal life as well. Overall, it was a fantastic day and definitely something that can be done with little kids.

3  Thank dms200912

Thank you so much for the visit and review. Your feedback means a great deal. So happy to hear that we were able to make your first visit to a presidential home a memorable one.