We booked our hotel, wanting to see some of the local sites which we had discovered via the internet.
But I became apprehensive after reading reviews here, as many people had a very bad experience with the hotel. One reviewer said that they believed the hotel was up for sale and staff morale and performance was poor due to that.
I have to say we had the opposite experience. The hotel is impressive, nestled in the foothills with a great view of the local mountains. An expansive balcony added to the experience.
Our room was clean and well-appointed. The two double beds were comfortable, providing a good night's sleep. Hi-speed internet, mini-fridge, desk, full bath, everything was what I would expect out of a good hotel.
Our package included breakfast in bed, which was expansive and tasty.
It proved to be an excellent stay and provided a good base of operations to visit the local landmarks. There were quite a few small attractions nearby, perfect for a family with small children that wanted an enjoyable and reasonably priced getaway.
Our time was filled with two zoos, one of which was a safari where you drive through 180 acres of wildlife and let the animals come right up (and sometimes in!) your car. The other was small, but had several impressive predators, and the opportunity to take a picture with a young tiger cub!
After that it was off to some 50s americana, visiting the Pink Cadillac Diner (good food cheap, surrounded by hollywood memorabilia) and the Hull Drive-In in nearby Lexington. The Hull is great fun, a community owned and operated landmark, with remarkably inexpensive pricing - $5 a head, children under 10 free, and the refreshments stand with a selection of decent food and a reminder you don't have to pay $20 for a popcorn and two large cokes!
We also visited the Natural Bridge itself, an impressive natural wonder, the Toy Museum, and the campy but fun Haunted House, Dark Maze, and Escape from Dinosaur Land.
There's also tons of history nearby in Lexington, which we plan to explore on a later visit.
The people of Natural Bridge and Lexington really made us feel at home.
I'd recommend it for any family weekend getaway. It's not Disney Land or Vegas, but that's one of its charms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay on-site of The Natural Bridge of Virginia. Visit the monumental National Historic Landmark & discover why photos don't do it justice, nor words describe it, and why the awe-struck Thomas Jefferson bought it. Packages starting at $129 for 2 people, $169 for a family of 4, offer a great value on attractions, overnight accommodation & breakfast. Just 15 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway; off I-81, exits 175 & 180. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, getaroom.com and Ebookers so you can book your Natural Bridge Historic Hotel & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Natural Bridge Hotel And Conference Center
- Natural Bridge Hotel Natural Bridge